Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

man alive Wizardry 3 is taking me to the dry cleaner, every single fight in the first two rooms is just a blood bath. LOL

newtmonkey

Arcane
BlackGoat
Damn, you have already passed me. :/
I had planned on putting some time into this, but work got busy and then due to the crazy heat wave we are experiencing now, all I wanted to do on the weekend was get drunk in my living room while watching horror movies.

I did (fully) explore the area prior to the mines (those Monstrous Bats are nuts; how on earth do they provide so little experience points). Hopefully I'll be able to put some real time into this later in the week.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
You might have time to catch up. I'm currently spinning in circles at the health fountain in the mines to get some levels for my recently class-changed bros

newtmonkey

Arcane
BlackGoat
I was able to catch up a bit last night. :)

I explore a big part of the mines, climbed the mountains, got the catapult working, and got wiped out my first attempt at the giant bros (they blinded my entire party the first round). I'll adjust my tactics a bit and try a few more times, but I dunno if I am quite ready to take these guys down.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
BlackGoat
I was able to catch up a bit last night. :)

I explore a big part of the mines, climbed the mountains, got the catapult working, and got wiped out my first attempt at the giant bros (they blinded my entire party the first round). I'll adjust my tactics a bit and try a few more times, but I dunno if I am quite ready to take these guys down.

Give my regards to Fritz and Klaus.

newtmonkey

Arcane
DW Bradley is a super genius on par with Cleve Blakemore. Except DW Bradly has brought us nothing but despair for the last 18 years, while Cleve brought nothing but hope and then redemption over the same period of time.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Yeah, I don't get how you can make W5-W6-W7-W&W and then nothing of value afterwards. Maybe he burned out, but then not everyone can be a thal

newtmonkey

Arcane
W&W was a very noble attempt at modernizing a blobber (and I prefer it to Wiz8, personally), but I doubt it did very well at all. If Bradley just decided to disappear and take on more lucrative contract jobs/mobile shit, he could have been forgiven for not wanting to end up making the equivalent of minimum wage or less developing complicated games for an increasingly niche audience.

However, I remember reading some typical washed up legendary CRPG developer comments from him, something about how, if we could have done real time action games on PC back then, no one would have ever made turn based RPGs.

This is why his career is a fall from grace of biblical proportions.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Well, the lute is only one instrument. Plenty of fun out there even for a bard that can't sleep things. Where are you at, anyway?

Edit: disrespected your Bard's pronouns, I'm sorry.

:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:Xir hopes that this has served as an opportunity to acknowledge your privilege.

I ended up switching her to a pure thief for now, which might have been mistake because there are no doors whatsoever to pick in the mines lol. 5 mins after changing, I found the next lute (that casts bless) and immediately wished I had stayed as a bard to test it out, but I already saved after changing.

I've built her back up to level 7, but her stats are still too low to change to anything useful. I've been using her basically as a back row bow attacker, but her accuracy and damage is too low to really make much of a difference. I might just make a new character with awesome stat rolls to replace her.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
He's probably still fiddling around with Dungeon Lords, furious that nobody acknowledged it as the masterpiece he though it would be

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
wiz 6 is a really good game but it becomes kind of meh after the castle, with the mines that come right after extra disappointing because of the sharp difference in quality. still, i'd say it's easily bradley's best work.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I do. Wiz 6 would probably be at the bottom end of a Wizardry Top 10.

EDIT: Oh now I get why you posted that. I don't consider Wiz 5 to be entirely Bradleys.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
The official credts read: by Bradley and Greenberg. I posted interviews about this subject in one of the wizardry threads, though I don't remember if it was in this thread or in the more relevant JRPG sub-forum.

In any case, then 5 is obviously his best work.
wiz5title.gif

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Wizardry 6 starts fantastic with the castle, a fantastic starting dungeon. The mountain is duller but introduces some tough encounters and at that point you are hooked with the party development which is really good.

The problem with this game is the fucking mines. Overly mazely, long and repetitive, and most annoying and pointless backtracking ever. Would have been very smart and good level design to give some shortcuts once you earned with thorough exploration.

- Great combat.
- Amazing character progresion with lots of classes, races, class changing, compelling spells.
- Interesting, varied and hard enemies.
- Some well designed dungeons.

This game has the ingredients to be one of my favourite games ever, and in some regards it is, but the mid game with the mines is awful. Overall an inspiring title, and I prefer ir to 8, because its nonexistant dungeons, and its big and boring open wilderness areas. BTW 8 also starts really well with the Monastery.

I think in the end I enjoy more the focused experience early wizardries provide. A short and dangerous dungeon to explore. The only thing I really miss is Wiz 6 expanded character system and skills.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I thought mines were still ok, although I consider them the same area as the mountain and the pyramid, which were cool. For me, wiz6 really fell apart at the river Styx.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Huh, the mines are one of my favorite parts of the game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom