Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Shadenuat

Arcane
fuck random loot in chests and fuck that rat with 1000 hp.

we're getting out of this planet bois. (waves the magic locket)

(uses key)

(gets into tomb)

(gets lost within 2 minutes)

oh fuck me.

well at least great place to farm xp. these demons and dragons could use some basic blind and hold resists.

why is it end dungeon and I found another map.
what is happening
did I do something wrong
did I sin
(reads map)
I have no idea what this shit means. please gib me a final boss to kill.

egg moon cross tower dragon skull sun star.

279a1130fa7f98e8e83e96b4aedc2381.gif

(reds map again)

okay I'll sleep then buy drink then try agan.

so start man , go right, then repeat but read bottom

*TEMPLE* MAN PYRAMID CRS.MOON *SPHINX* EGG WCHIMERA WAND >

*BOAT* DEVIL BOAT CROSS *CRYPT* SKULL RJEWEL STATUE >

*SERPENT* TOWER CSERPENT LANTERN *CRYSTAL CUBE CBALL GATE >

*DRAGON* DRAGON CHEST KEY *STAR* STABLET 3STATUES 5PSTAR

moon>egg>cross>skull>sun>tower>dragon>star

OR

1) MAN PYRAMID CRS.MOON DEVIL BOAT CROSS
TOWER CSERPENT LANTERN DRAGON CHEST KEY
2) EGG WCHIMERA WAND SKULL RJEWEL STATUE
CUBE CBALL GATE STABLET 3STATUES 5PSTAR

MOON CROSS TOWER DRAGON EGG SKULL SUN STAR

still can't seem to make it work

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
okay I figured out what I was doing wrong by assuming the absolute worst what I could do wrong i.e. assuming I need to backtrack through whole world to see if I missed something

problem is I still can't seem to figure out exact combination even at the right place.

edit. ok beaten 1st one, I was misclicking and forgot "serpent".

LSD helped too.

edit2. stuck again. need to backtrack to newcity to check on all clues I forgot to write into my .txt.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
ok. turned out a) sun is unused and b) I did all wrong and c) pentagram does not reset puzzle, you have to use teleporter to get out of room and reset it like this.

I will see you soon Wiz8 my lovely slut. Just need to kill your crazy old sister.

(gets shot to death by giant robots)

8d630120c2c2b5a44bb29dd88803181cf6248690_00.gif

fug Ill have to grind a lot of robots.

Last edited:
Wizardry 2 is a rather fun kick in the balls.

Here's how my intro session went:

- Started game
- Imported my group
- Gear was stripped of all gear from Wizardry 1 (fuck you)
- Spent like forever buying and equipping new gear
- Went into maze, hit first room, ninja and some other over powered shit, threw down my Bishops spells, and TILTOWAIT - barely made a dent
- Completed the fight, hit the next room, pit trap, lost two characters
- Stumbled out of maze for healing and etc
- That was just the first three squares of level 1 :P

What fun Wizardry 2 is :P

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I found it rather too easy and short after Wiz 1, but still a nice blobber.
I need to do a replay of Wiz 1-3,5 with a neutral-evil party some time.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
Isn't it basically an expansion pack for Wiz 1? 6 levels and you use your high level characters from the first game. The 3rd one doesn't require older characters except for the weird "you are the descendants of your other characters" thing which I think means you have to create dummy characters in Wiz 1 (or 2, I think that game lets you create level 1 characters) and then "import" them into #3.

Shadenuat

Arcane
When your Valk in 8 gets mystic spear from 7

a8c4owwcskzy.jpg

rest stuff I got was shit though.

Interestingly Steam thinks I am playing something else if I play Wiz8+ (modded). But at least it didn't block game or anything cause of modding.

Burned heavily on endgame so hard to say anything more about wiz7
Beginning and first half were reasonably connected and enjoyable, with choice how you go around.
The tower of Dane felt like a highest point of the game. While it had dumb guessing shit, only some of the levels were based around it, so it did not overstay its welcome. Backtracking in it was also not terrible, almost modern in a sense (where you get thrown into place, then backtrack using same teleporter as before). Other dungeons were from alright (orkogre, munkharama, rattkin ruins) to big places that felt mostly waste of time (nyctalinth, witch mountain was eh, dragon caves were just lazy). Final dungeons broke the level of reasonably old style to just wasting player's time. The dungeon made wholly of teleporters can go fuck itself.

Some fights with mixed monsters and gimmicky bosses were interesting, but it mostly felt like hitting them with physical weapons was the only viable strategy. Although in general, combat magic was useful all up to final level, and without Nuclear Blast and similar spells I'd kill myself before finishing the game.

I would also say that, unless you're underleveled or fight some boss or a mixed encounter, combat is not really hard. It's just very grindy.

Some other comparisons
Cryptic Shit vs Find Marten - Marten stuff & Ascension was better done, maybe if 7 introduced Gael stone early and gave some meaning to your journey through it, otherwise trying to hold on to some plot felt like barely touching thin thread with a fingertip, when and if it even existed. Cryptic shit certainly has its place in rpgs and many are fans of it, but not when whole main plot is basically cryptic shit.
The random loot in chests - equipment makes or breaks characters, in 7 less though since you can just dual class and go like pff whatever I got that super sword just gonna turn my thief into fighter and use it. I still dislike random chests in both games. To wiz7 credit, however, it did give you waaaay more chests, dedicating some of endgame locations exclusively for you to equip your party in best equipment possible.
Dual classing - in 7 it is the path to cheese, in 8 it's not useful enough. So I'd say neither games hit the mark there.
Felt like a boss going into the gigantic open sea - it's like waterwalking or flying in M&M. Just with more trash combat. But it did make 7 feel larger.
Dionysceus - I don't know what's up with me and towers, but I really like going up in some towers beating level after level. I feel like most similar stuff in Wiz8 fell into either linear dungeon crawling (although I recently watched stream where dude was stuck trying to connect 2 vines in Trynton so what can you do) or hybrid locations. These hybrid exploration bases like Marten's Bluff or places like Monastery are excellent but they never scratched same itch Dane tower did. You mostly think about how to beat monsters there. In 7 I thought more how to actually beat the dungeon itself.

Muh party in 8 ended up fairly weird and with absurd levels of DEX on everyone, heh. Also they are all potential magic machines. So far I scrambled everything into this: Sam (int/dex, no dachi) Valk (mostly fighting skills, lance) Monk (also hybrid, mystic spear), Thief > Bard (dual wielding, probably bloodlust & dagger, would require a lot of building), Alchemist & Bishop (saved 4 picks and picked all 4 major buffs before reaching Arnika, going to save picks from now on). Much magic, IDK why I need so much. But mod does make magic more viable. Short weapons on flanks, 2 reach weapons center, casters back. Works so far although I never played so much magic in one group.
The stats are out of ordinary with some funny importing gimmicks like Bard having highest SEN in party, casters ended up with 30ish VIT and gnome Valk has already almost 80 STR. Most have very solid casting abilities, and I feel I'll end game at levels 30 instead of 20-25.
Due to high skills one of few times I get to appreciate how great Web spell is compared to Sleep, since I got it on Bishop.
I also wanna to experiment some more and give Valk modern weapons if possible.

It's amusing to see some dialogue changes and it's first time I've watched something else than TEH MOOK HIRED YOU AND YOU FLY MAJESTIK STEEL BIRD. Someone pointed out we did "good landing" compared to those lame "other dudes" shot by Savant.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Are there any mods that reduce the trash combat in the Wizardries? I've had my eyes on them for a while, and I have them on GOG, so I will try them out once I finish at least MM6, but since everyone mentions how grindy they are I'm kinda lukewarm to that idea.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The only one of Wizardry 1-7 with way too much combat is Wiz 7.

And the picture above contains some truth only if by Might and Magic you mean MM 3-5.
MM 1-2 are definitely more hardcore than Wiz 1-2, for example.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
^Pretty much, though I have a feeling that 6-8 are what's being discussed here. 6 and 8 at least are only as grindy as you make them yourself. In 8 you'll rage at fuckloads of creeping vines at inopportune moments, but its reputation for endless trashmobs is massively overblown IMO.

croitav

I hate 3D graphics

And the picture above contains some truth only if by Might and Magic you mean MM 3-5.

Does he speak the truth mondblut?

mondblut

Arcane

Does he speak the truth mondblut?

Well, the first two MMs did aspire to ape Wizardry more thoroughly before going popamole at 3, that much is true. But when prestigious gentlemen namedrop these franchises, they normally imply Wizardry 7 and World of Xeen.

Wizardry 7 had a perfect amount of combat (with a couple of exclusive spots to grind), whereas the older ones (should 1-5 even be considered separate games, lol?) respawned everything whenever you turned around, resulting in having to plow through the same repetitive shit over and over and over again.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Wizardry 7 had a perfect amount of combat (with a couple of exclusive spots to grind), whereas the older ones (should 1-5 even be considered separate games, lol?) respawned everything whenever you turned around, resulting in having to plow through the same repetitive shit over and over and over again.

That was certainly far from my experience.
Sounds like you confuse Wiz 1-5 with the Bard's Tale games.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive

Yeah my trouble in Wiz 1 mostly results from not fighting enough encounters before finding the stairs to the next floor tbh

mondblut

Arcane

That could be the feature of the jap remakes. All it takes to reset all encounters it to leave and reenter the level.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Lacrymas

There are no trash-encounters in Wizardry games, except in 6-7-8.

Traditional Wizardry combat is divided into two categories:

- Step-based random encounters, i.e. you walk around and you might get a random encounter.
- Fixed-encounters, i.e. a specific tile where you will trigger an encounter, rarely a unique one but most of the time drawn from the same levelled lists as the tile-based random encounters.

What is the difference?

- Step-based random encounters, i.e. 75% of the ones you will encounter, do not drop treasure chests, only XP and Gold.
- Fixed-encounters, which respawn when you enter/leave a level, leave bothXP/Gold and treasure chests.

Fighting fixed-encounters is the only way to acquire treasure chests, try your luck at inspecting and disarming them, and then opening them to acquire loot which is drawn from 3 lists of common/rare/very rare.

Each level/floor/area has its own specific loot lists which are tied to the geography and not to the enemies, so it only matters that the encounter is a Fixed one, not what kind of enemies are in the encounter.

If a combat is too difficult you can use your party member's RUN/FLEE options, and each individual member will attempt to escape. Escaping chances are determined by the party members AGI, Character Level and the hidden "Dungeon Level" assigned to each floor/area.

PRO-TIP: Leaving a cleared floor/area and re-entering it either by foot or by spell respawns Fixed Encounters, which you can go directly to "farm" for treasure chests if you so desire. This isn't necessary though, contrary to what normies believe or say.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Jap remakes did not change anything relating to encounters, and also the PSX versions are the ones I recommend Lacrymas. Excellent musical scores and polygonal graphics, albeit ugly even when the remakes were released, are welcome additions as well as featuering many small quality-of-life improvements on the UI such as mapping quick-casting spells to shoulder buttons, or mapping instant-inventory management to another button, etc.

The SNES remakes are hugely superior in graphics featuring absolutely GORGEOUS 2D sprite art, probably the best sprite art in the system, IMO, however the SNES remakes feature mangled/truncated text, which makes it harder to logically solve puzzles in a few of the games because the hints/text makes no fucking logical sense.

Both PS1/Snes versions are the same content-wise, with the obvious caveat of the SNES ports featuring hard-to-follow text in some parts. I had to look up a FAQ for one puzzle contrivance in Scenario #3, Age of Llylgamyn simply because the hints I found on the 4th floor referring to what to do were hard to understand.

If it wasn't for that I would say the SNES versions were definitive, but since Scenarios 3 and 5 are especially compromised by the weird text scripts, sadly I have to give the nod to the PS1 versions.

EDIT: you can always just do what I did and play them all on both snes and ps1 and get the best of all worlds. I still have yet to clear the Game Boy Color ports though, and they added new levels to the first 3 scenarios.

Wizardry 2 - completed. That came up real fast.

It happened rather fast, once I started to get a few + items, I just smashed my way past each level and got all the K.O.D items, walk back after I figured I had to be alone for the riddle part, then completed the game.

it was at most a few hours?

I barely call it a addon LOL

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom