Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Potions are always a good idea. Whether you "need" them or not depends on your setup. In my last wiz 8 run I had only one pure caster, and I was gulping potions like there was no tomorrow. What else are you going to spend your money on?

Shadenuat

Arcane
Wiz8 is too generous with consumables, and they are very easy to steal/buy, even stuff like resurrect powders. OTOH battles there are way longer and you actually tend to use them. Unless you have something broken like female Bard self-replenishing herself with stamina lute and casting all-heals.

Honestly I'd restrict some powders in Wiz8 to Alchemist/Ninja/Ranger with high Artifacts skill only.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Had no trouble with inventory space. 20 slots/character + stacking. Usually have minimum of one dude just empty except equipment.

Shadenuat

Arcane
That certainly would have made gazebo in New City after my party cleaner. All that munk meat and used up maps for hints must stink by now.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Seriously though, is it possible to drop items that are crucial to winning the game? Are there even such items? Shadenuat, anything the game won't let you drop so far?

Shadenuat

Arcane
You can't sell crucial items. But dropping, I believe you can drop anything.

But while I am casual enough to /irony carefully buy and stack useful consumables /irony, I am not stupid enough to not put every even dumbest item only in one place which is the *gazebo* just like I do in adventure games with inventories/other rpgs

Thankfully most items you find you use them somewhere not far away, the maps cost 10000 so obviously I have 1 character dedicated to maps&*keys*, some game just outright states THIS WILL HELP AT END OF THE GAME KEEP IT, but some piss me off to no end like that hair comb from newbie dungeon with ravens which triggers me sitting in my inventory with it's "?" item icon after 50 hours of playtime.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
You can't sell crucial items. But dropping, I believe you can drop anything.

But while I am casual enough to /irony carefully buy and stack useful consumables /irony, I am not stupid enough to not put every even dumbest item only in one place which is the *gazebo* just like I do in adventure games with inventories/other rpgs
So items remain forever where you drop them? That's convenient.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Yeah I once returned to some place where I dropped a scroll in the beginning of the game and it was there. After that, I began building up my treasure hoard of "may need later" things. So far I didn't return for anything I already used to solve something tho.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Well, recently I had a choice on level up between cure disease,

or fucking Asphyxiation that kills 25 t'rang in one cast

guess what did I choose and what potions I am keeping.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Pffff!!! Wiz 1 is short and sweet; only 8 rather small levels.

BTW, does "Where are we" detect spinners and hidden doors for you?

And how did you manage to get a Ninja? Did you find a certain item?

That was pure luck, I was grinding out on the 10th level and found the Thieves Dagger that turned my Thief finally into a Ninja.

Where are we, has spinners and everything :)

Yes, it wasn't as long of a game as I thought it might be.

Shadenuat

Arcane
60 hours
level 18+(? lost count)
ninja equipment from master of flowers and 2 unique swords still in inventory
check manual again. need piety 10.
piety still 9.

PoisedWindingCaecilian.gif
it's okay. you tried. maybe in next life(game).

we don need dumb elites in 8th anyway. maybe be bard or mechanic multi.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Grid-based tile movement is superior and the best way to make a dungeon-crawler.

Skill point systems are usually a waste of the player's time.

In Elminage and Wizardry it is your character's race that determines the usefulness of their Attribute spread due to the Racial maximum +10 points cap on each Attribute.

For example in Elminage: Gothic a Human Fighter can reach 18 STRENGTH, but a Dwarf Fighter can reach 23 STRENGTH, and those 5 extra STR points translate to an extra +25-30% damage on the top end of the DMG roll. An extra +30% DMG in the end-game dungeons in E: Gothic can be the difference between killing an enemy in 1 round, or having to wait until Round #2 to strike it again... and that means the enemy will get an opportunity to Petrify entire party with a breath or decapitate a few peeps because you couldn't kill it in the opening salvo.

Same with INT (determines % of spells afflicting enemy status or of penetrating a spell barrier).
Same with PIE (determines % of HP recovered, and probability % of successful resurrection spells).
Same with AGI (determines the all-important turn-order).

So on and so forth. You'd think therefore the best Mage would be an Elf with its maximum 22 INT, but if you decide instead to go with a Werebeast Mage, although only reaching 18 INT, the Werebeast has much higher AGILITY: and a Mage with high AGILITY gets to go faster in the turn-order which means possibly Sleep'ing the enemies before they get to attack, for example.

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
Elminage Gothic just makes the problems with pure blobbers extremely evident.

Blobber mixed with another genre like VN (Rance VI) has redeemable qualities.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom