Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Piotrovitz

Savant
Cool, maybe I'll give it a try.
Always wanted to roll with DW axe fighter.

PorkBarrellGuy

Woo, lucked out and instakilled a Hogar with my SAM. Definitely saving after that. Massive damage sponges, those things.

PorkBarrellGuy

My Bard now strikes twice in one turn due to high speed and is the rockstar of my entire 2nd party. Amazed at her damage output and utility. Been pumping Str and Spd with her and I'm almost beginning to wish I had pumped Spd instead of Str on my SAM so he could get more chances at instakills, but Haste should theoretically render that null and void anyway, right?

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I just went to the JeffLudwig website and browsed through the weapon- and armorlist of Wizardry 8. And it gave me these flashbacks from the horrors of previous walkthroughs...

I can accept class-based resctriction of weapons, but it should be easy to understand when creating the party. For example when you create a "Mage" you see on the creation page that he has only very few weapon types supported:
- Dagger
- Staff & Wand
- Throwing & Sling

That would be easy to understand, if you can assume the following:
-> Mage is able to equip ALL daggers, ALL staffs, ALL slings.
-> Mage is NOT able to equip any swords, shields, polearms, maces, bows.

And let's be honest, this is what everyone will automatically assume. And yet they will be slapped in the face by the game. For example there are some excellent staffs in the game, which can't be used by the mage class. Very frustrating once you find out. And the same misery happens to all other classes (e.g. previously mentioned Priest class unable to use some excellent mace-type weapons). There is always a bunch of excellent weapons/armor which can't be used by the class, although they belong to the category of weapons/armor which should be usable by this class. (And if that wasn't enough I recall that there is also a race based restriction - thinking of that "Giant Sword"). A whole lotta obscure restrictions within a restriction.

Even if you successfully beat the game, make a longer pause in playing, and then want to replay the game, and have this memory of "hey there were some great weapons in the game" (*roughly remembering the weapon category*), and then build a party which covers that weapon category in the character building sheet - and then halfway through the game you suddenly find out that you messed up again, because you can't equip these items, because you didn't think about that restriction within a restriction within a restriction. This fucking sucks.

They should have categorized it differently in the character building sheet, so it would have been easier to understand...

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
People like theSavant should be forced to play faerie-ninja parties only. Also lol @ racial restrictions being "obscure".

PorkBarrellGuy

Question. If I multiclassed from a Ninja/Monk/Sam to another class would I keep the special weapon use proficiencies (bo, sai, etc.)?

Jason Liang

Arcane
Characters keep their weapon skills but they can only use the gear usable by their current class (at least in Wiz7)

Piotrovitz

Savant
Yeah, that's why multiclassing in Wiz 8 is a bad idea, beside PRI 1>LOR X or FIG 1>BAR X
BAR 18-20>FIG is also a good idea after you max out Music, but you'll loose all access to bard-only armour, which is too much of a downside for me.

My Bard now strikes twice in one turn due to high speed and is the rockstar of my entire 2nd party. Amazed at her damage output and utility. Been pumping Str and Spd with her and I'm almost beginning to wish I had pumped Spd instead of Str on my SAM so he could get more chances at instakills, but Haste should theoretically render that null and void anyway, right?
Melee bard is probably one of most awesome and useful builds in Wiz 8, the only downside is that you have to share Bloodlust with SAM for a while, if you have one.
Pumping speed on other melees isn't necessary. Guess what, you'll get instrument with Haste soon.

I can't think of any other cRPGs where bard class is so versatile and all around useful. Maybe chanters from PoE.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Dude, if you already finished the game few times and want to roll with munchkin party that revolves around some exotic theme, one would assume that you have some metagaming knowledge, or at least check the item restrictions on the internet, if you don't remember them.

PorkBarrellGuy

I really am beginning to hate plant enemies. You'd think their specific spew attacks would eat up a lot of their stamina, but apparently they can just spam the damn things for turns on end.

PorkBarrellGuy

Another instakill on a Hogar in Trynton. I might need to buy a lottery ticket at this rate. Samurai with Bloodlust is an absolute force of nature.

PorkBarrellGuy

Hogar's I've found are very susceptible to insta kill for whatever reason.
Could just be huge HP pools mean longer battles, which means more chances at an instakill but I've been getting them in the first 2 turns so there might be something to that.

PorkBarrellGuy

In the Trynnie temple and really hating these Oak Saplings. Chain-casting shit like Crush on my party members is some serious bullshit.

PorkBarrellGuy

Thankfully I saved before going in and I do have a handful of res powders but I'm thinking maybe I need to go grab some certain spellbooks before I try this. Maybe steal Saxx's soulful sax for my Bard, too (dunno if Soul Shield will be much help here, Guardian Angel definitely might though)

I don't know how random the AI is but it certainly SEEMS to be somewhat smart (going hard after my casters with high-yield DDs and CC-ing constantly)

EDIT: Yeah I think I'm going to back off from this for a bit because I'm getting near TPKs every time I try this. Maybe grind for a bit elsewhere, grab some more books and get rid of the Trynnie party member (cute, but useless).

Last edited by a moderator:

PorkBarrellGuy

n the Trynnie temple and really hating these Oak Saplings. Chain-casting shit like Crush on my party members is some serious bullshit.

Try to combat them inside the "no magic" room.

Oh shit how did I not think of that, now I feel really stupid. Alright, giving it another whirl. I actually briefly wondered if the magic restriction in the main atrium area was something that cut both ways, but the bats and spiders that were there didn't exactly seem to give a shit (then again their "spells" weren't really spells)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I actually briefly wondered if the magic restriction in the main atrium area was something that cut both ways, but the bats and spiders that were there didn't exactly seem to give a shit (then again their "spells" weren't really spells)

That's bad luck. I remember each time I played that place would have wood sprites fizzling all the time to give you a hint.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
And let's be honest, this is what everyone will automatically assume. And yet they will be slapped in the face by the game. For example there are some excellent staffs in the game, which can't be used by the mage class. Very frustrating once you find out. And the same misery happens to all other classes (e.g. previously mentioned Priest class unable to use some excellent mace-type weapons). There is always a bunch of excellent weapons/armor which can't be used by the class, although they belong to the category of weapons/armor which should be usable by this class. (And if that wasn't enough I recall that there is also a race based restriction - thinking of that "Giant Sword"). A whole lotta obscure restrictions within a restriction.

There's an argument to be made here about categorical weapon restrictions ("mages can use all sticks but not swords") vs. class-based ("mages can use this stick and sword but not this other stick or sword"). I don't think one is inherently better in terms of gameplay but I do think categorical restrictions are more logical than class-based.

Still, in how many RPGs are mages ever effective melee classes? Honestly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom