Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Zenith

Arbiter
Yeah, there was some weighted dice patch for character creation, but if you make use of dosbox's save/load state hotkeys it really doesn't take that much time (nothing like some good ol' savescumming before even starting the game).
Also, perhaps a dumb question, but is there any easy way to stumble into someone you're looking for? I have all the flowers for Xen Xheng, locate person tells me he's at New City. Am I now supposed to run around the whole map like a retard in the hope that I run into him by accident?
Just stand at some bottleneck and spin in place to advance time.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I think the Cosmic Forge can increase the minimum stats on the character creation roll, in case you don't want to die of Old Age trying to create good characters to beat the game with.

It doesn't really take that long to get the the lowest (12-17 IIRC) bonus score in my experience. And while you're rolling you may even be as lucky as to get the 22-27 bonus.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Also, perhaps a dumb question, but is there any easy way to stumble into someone you're looking for? I have all the flowers for Xen Xheng, locate person tells me he's at New City. Am I now supposed to run around the whole map like a retard in the hope that I run into him by accident?

In my experience all the NPCs stalked me everywhere throughout the game. In any case, you don't actually need Xheng to make the snakespeed potion.

Ent

Savant
What I gathered from finishing Wizardry 6 recently is that bonus point allotment is pretty important at the start - you pretty much use them to make the transition into the planned class change easier. Being even a few points off from a class requirement can be a pain in the ass due to the random nature of stat gains.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
23utzt1.png

2iql9q1.png

zuf4w7.jpg

CRPG designers are all nazis.
fires_070.png

Jason Liang

Arcane
What I gathered from finishing Wizardry 6 recently is that bonus point allotment is pretty important at the start - you pretty much use them to make the transition into the planned class change easier. Being even a few points off from a class requirement can be a pain in the ass due to the random nature of stat gains.
And to max out Piety and Vitality. Besides which, if you class change intelligently (for VI-VIII) yoiu keep most of your attributes.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Well, pretty bad dice luck today. Got my monk and Ninja sorted at least.

Bonus point obsession is a waste if you're going to multiclass at all.

I wasn't obsessive! 15 or higher was enough for my Felpurr Monk and Ninja. I rolled an 18 and a 19 but it took a solid hour. No complaints out of me though, only get to do it once and I intend to savor the whole thing.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Well, pretty bad dice luck today. Got my monk and Ninja sorted at least.

Bonus point obsession is a waste if you're going to multiclass at all.

I wasn't obsessive! 15 or higher was enough for my Felpurr Monk and Ninja. I rolled an 18 and a 19 but it took a solid hour. No complaints out of me though, only get to do it once and I intend to savor the whole thing.

The issue though is you switch their classes and all the stats reset to their racial and class minimums, making a lot of that time feel like a waste. Bonus points are however a good way to prime characters for multiclassing, as others have pointed out. I started with 3 fighters but they already had the stats to be ninjas.

Nevermind. I thought you were complaining, my mistake. I forget some people enjoy character creation a lot more than I do.

Lukifell

Educated
has anyone ironmanned wiz7? is it even possible? i try once every year or so.

current planned party (all faerie for their speed/resists)

samurai>lord>monk
samurai>lord>monk
samurai>lord>monk
alchemist>ninja>valkyrie>ranger
bard>bishop>priest
bard>bishop>priest

not sure if bard is worth it for hide on the casters. maybe just use invisible potion?

Jason Liang

Arcane
start everyone as a mage (or priest iirc?) for the highest mana regeneration bonus. Especially if all-Faerie since you can't get the Lute then anyway.

Not sure why you have 3 lords as transitional classes.

Last edited:

Lukifell

Educated
I can't save/reload, though, and I'm not doing any grinding, because it kinda defeats the purpose.

But yes, starting the back line as mages is probably the better way to go.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
current planned party (all faerie for their speed/resists)

samurai>lord>monk
samurai>lord>monk
samurai>lord>monk
alchemist>ninja>valkyrie>ranger
bard>bishop>priest
bard>bishop>priest

alchemist>ninja is a good choice because of the same spell book, but why would you then turn the ninja into a valkyrie and ranger of all things?

If they are all fairies, I'd go with ninjas instead of samurai's from the start - no need to worry about getting enough weapons (hands & feet) and the gear stays the same too. The downside is that the ninjas are somewhat slower to level up.

Do Bards and Alchemists have healing spells? If not, you may need more healers. Last time I played, I had 5 characters with healing spells from early in the game and it really made a difference.

Lukifell

Educated
In this case, the alchemist is doubling as a locks and traps guy, so I'm pumping skulduggery starting at ninja. Valkyrie is only there because it's a "free" class change and results in extra hp/skills. (A faerie valkyrie can switch to ranger instantly, in ironman you can't save/reload to get whatever stats you need, so...)

Ending at ranger is also great because rangers have some of the best resistances in the game. Ninjas have terrible lifeforce resist; lifeforce is easily the best resistance, since it works against KIA and stone as well as all the instant death spells and the death effects of Dazzling Lights / Prismic Missile.

(If I could save/reload to guarantee stats on level up, I'd turn him into a Monk, since their resistances are the best, but alas...)

(I don't take thief because they get 1d4 miss chance each level. Like if you start with a thief and switch him to a ninja at level 9, you have a ninja with 9 levels of -1d4 miss chance, instead of a ninja's normal 1d4+2, which is pretty bad.)

Starting bards as casters is probably a terrible idea, I agree. Was just thinking about hide. Mage/bishop/priest would probably be better. Priest has really good resistances (just under monk and psionic) and levels fast, which further gives a slight advantage with resists/overcoming monster resists.

Also, regarding your healing question, faeries start with 5 potions of light heal and 5 faerie powder (sleep) which carries them through.

Lukifell

Educated
Also, starting with ninja or samurai... I chose samurai for the hit points and the slight to-hit advantage (-5 miss chance vs a ninja's -2).

But starting with ninja, you'd be able to level ninjutsu from the start. It's probably better, you're right. Plus they could level up martial arts at the start.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Question (Wiz V): It's possible to reduce "magic resistance" with some spell? ie: I use Montino but the fucker resisted it, PALIOS would be effective?, considering that reduces magic screens, or the monster have to erect one barrier in the battle first?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom