Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

pippin

Not that out of topic, but did you guys knew there is an Ultima manga?

manga2-cover.jpg

IIRC it features a baby and its destiny and some shit. Not really related to the game per se, but more to the "feel" of adventuring in the game.

Viata

Arcane
Also, I was wondering - is there any connection between Wiz 1-5 and 6-8, like the way the M&M series is all connected with a superconvoluted "metaplot", or is it only the title and nothing else?
Nope, Thundergod Bradley changed everything for VI:

zjlknzH.jpg
I love that interview.
"How did you get interested in programming?"
It was an accident.
"How did you get interested in RPG?"
It was an accident, too.
"How did you get the idea for Bane's plot?"
In a flash.
"Do you remember the first line of code you typed for Bane?"
Hello World.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
At least aweigh have some important reason to hate him.

PS: I forgot that Samurais can't be evil, so I have to restart my Fighters :negative:

Ent

Savant
So all the shit posting in the Grimoire thread inspired me to actually give Wizardry 6-8 a try. I'm close to the end of 6 and I only really have one character that trained up ninjutsu - how necessary is that skill in Wizardry 7?

AArmanFV

Arbiter
2ng7kmr.png

2wf5ms3.png

Hahaha, stupid phantom piece of shit.

I tried the mugwump first, damn that sun of a duck

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I'm close to the end of 6 and I only really have one character that trained up ninjutsu - how necessary is that skill in Wizardry 7?

It's not necesasry, but helpful, especially for front-line characters. The same as in 6 really.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
BTW, last weekend I bought this:

DEsPqB4VYAA2azT.jpg

It's a fan-made booklet on the 30th anniversary of the Wizardry games for the Famicom. The highlights are the huge interviews with Jap Wizardry devs, including one with Robert Woodhead.

Wish I could easily translate them, but Takeshi Kaneda's interview alone is 20 pages long. :o

Eggs is eggs

Learned
I don't understand how the NES versions of Wizardry were so popular in Japan. By that time there was Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy and other games like that which blow away the bland graphics and 1981 gameplay of Wizardry 1. The game was revolutionary when it first came out...but 6 years later?

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I don't understand how the NES versions of Wizardry were so popular in Japan. By that time there was Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy and other games like that which blow away the bland graphics and 1981 gameplay of Wizardry 1. The game was revolutionary when it first came out...but 6 years later?

:0/5:

Final fantasy is nothing like Wizardry and it certainly isn't better let alone 'blow it away'.

AArmanFV

Arbiter

In japan those who finished Wizardry got interviewed, anyone can beat DQ (Yes, it has nothing to do with the topic, but I don't care). The first DQ was garbage, that's why Enix did the remake of the first 2 for the SNES.

PS: By the time was just DQ to "blow it away", the famicom Wizardry I came out in 1987.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
From my interview with Motoya Ataka:

Finally, the RPG Codex interviewed Robert Woodhead, creator of Wizardry, and he said he has no idea why Wizardry is so popular in Japan. What would you tell him?

I remember when I played Wizardry as a child, the game was so intellectual – and the people who played it seemed so cool – that it completely blew away the stereotypical image of the video game otaku. During the genesis of the Japanese RPG (the Famicom’s prime), such an awe-inspiring game coming from the West shook up the Japanese RPG genre and would captivate gamers’ hearts for years to come.

:obviously:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
O hey a locate person spell, wonder what that does

*casts at max power level*

HALF THE INHABITANTS OF THE WORLD ARE DEAD

lol

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also, perhaps a dumb question, but is there any easy way to stumble into someone you're looking for? I have all the flowers for Xen Xheng, locate person tells me he's at New City. Am I now supposed to run around the whole map like a retard in the hope that I run into him by accident?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Also, perhaps a dumb question, but is there any easy way to stumble into someone you're looking for? I have all the flowers for Xen Xheng, locate person tells me he's at New City. Am I now supposed to run around the whole map like a retard in the hope that I run into him by accident?

I think there is something in the code that makes it more likely for them to stumble across you when you're on the same map.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Wizardry V gets complicated at level 3, I want my fighters to be with 100 hit points or more before change them to samurais. So the question is: ¿Should I do it now?

Jason Liang

Arcane
Wizardry V gets complicated at level 3, I want my fighters to be with 100 hit points or more before change them to samurais. So the question is: ¿Should I do it now?

Yes. There's no point in waiting. You probably should have started them off as Samurai in the first place...

The way HP works in Wizardy 1-3, 5 is based on the current class, level and vitality. Basically when you level, the game rolls a percentile die based on your maximum possible hp based on class, level and vitality. If the result is > your current max hp, that becomes you new max. If it is <, then you get +1 hp. So what happens if you class change at a high level is you'll get +1 hp for a while and then suddenly you'll get like +105 hp or something. Iirc the highest I've gotten was +231 for a mage -> lord.

I actually like this system since it defeats save scumming.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

You'll meet all of the wandering ones is due time in my experience.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Never finished 6 and now I am going to see about finishing it using Grid Cartographer.

I have the GoG versions of 6 & 7. Do I need anything from Cosmic Forge? I don't want to cheat but wondering if there are essential patches that I need. Mad god's FAQ mentions that there are patches that GoG applied to fix bugs but I am not clear on what.

TigerKnee

Arcane
I think the Cosmic Forge can increase the minimum stats on the character creation roll, in case you don't want to die of Old Age trying to create good characters to beat the game with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom