Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

afewhours

Scholar
I think the Codex needs an Ironman playthrough of Wizardry 4. I could use a laugh at someone else's suffering.

kazgar

Arcane
afewhours said:
I think the Codex needs an Ironman playthrough of Wizardry 4. I could use a laugh at someone else's suffering.
Or at least a let's play so everyone else can witness the magic/pain.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
afewhours said:
It would be a pretty short Ironman competition. Probably the shortest one ever.

Higher Game

Arcane
Yeah, it sure does challenge your skills when a level 3 crotch ninja decapitates your level 834 ungodly avatar, so you choose to grind it up another 100 levels so it won't happen next time. So much fun! :roll:

The vast majority of old school dungeon crawlers are an insult to RPGs. Leave it to roguelikes to do things the right way. I would consider many old dungeon crawlers to be in the same category as Diablo, minus the fun. They simply miss the point.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
Hi!
I am new here!
Would you be so kind as to recommend me a very very interesting Wiz8 party?
I have played Wizardry8 for 8 times so far.
I want to try DoddTheSlayer 2.0 mod. This will be my 9th play through and I can't find out a very interesting party.

Personally, I like going with small, theme parties. Here are a few ideas:

Ranged Attackers
- Ninja
- Ranger
- Gadgeteer

No Magic
- Fighter
- Bard
- Rogue
- Gadgeteer

Critical Hit
- Monk
- Ninja
- Samurai

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Monk + Ninja 2-man team
Dwarf Monk Solo
Fairy Ninja Solo [non-fairy for challenge]
Six Bards

DAMNIT why did I only play my very favourite game ONCE? ...and why did I lose the CDs? ARGH.

Texas Red

Whiner
Jasede said:
DAMNIT why did I only play my very favourite game ONCE? ...and why did I lose the CDs? ARGH.

Unbelievable. You have such a huge, redwood stick up your ass that you refuse to torrent a game for which you already payed.

cardtrick

Arbiter
I don't think I get the joke in the first post . . . is someone with 418 posts saying they're "new here" some kind of humorous reference to something?

On topic -- if you've played the game 9 times, small parties are definitely the way to go. As Flux_Capacitor said, theme parties are a great way to keep the game interesting. I read a pretty interesting thread somewhere (Ironworks, maybe?) about a playthrough with only 3 gadgeteers that seemed fun and challenging. There's also the "all fairy" party -- I tried that one once. Your carrying capacity is so low and your inventory choices are so restricted that the game feels quite different -- my party that time was a fairy ninja, fairy bishop, and fairy bard/rogue, which worked quite well. If you've never done the "pure caster" party, that's fun too -- take a mage, a priest, a psionic, and an alchemist, only.

cardtrick

Arbiter
Dark Individual said:
Jasede said:

Unbelievable. You have such a huge, redwood stick up your ass that you refuse to torrent a game for which you already payed.

Gotta say I'm with TWD here, and that pains me. Get off your ass and torrent it, Jasede -- it's the classic victimless crime in this case, and Wizardry 8 is pretty much the only RPG I've ever played that gets better as you replay it. Well, it and Darklands. And maybe Arcanum just 'cause you get to appreciate the C&C.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wasn't I the one who recommended it to you in the first place? I love that game. It has all the thing I like in dungeon crawlers, and more.

cardtrick

Arbiter
Jasede said:
Wasn't I the one who recommended it to you in the first place? I love that game. It has all the thing I like in dungeon crawlers, and more.

You were indeed. It was my first dungeon crawler, and I love it. I haven't played it 9 times yet, but I think it's been 5 (although I've only actually finished the game once . . . I usually get bored around level 20 or 25 after finishing off the Rapax castle).

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
My next Wiz 8 play through will be a party of all Mooks.

I don't know what classes, but it will be all Mooks.

I wonder what will happen at the Mook Embassy, in that will only 1 of our party be taken away, then rejoin the party later... or will the WHOLE party be gone for a day.

I am wondering.

If I really had patience, I'd play an all Mook party and do a WIz 6+7+8 play through.

But I don't.

cardtrick

Arbiter
Jaesun said:
My next Wiz 8 play through will be a party of all Mooks.

I don't know what classes, but it will be all Mooks.

I wonder what will happen at the Mook Embassy, in that will only 1 of our party be taken away, then rejoin the party later... or will the WHOLE party be gone for a day.

I am wondering.

If I really had patience, I'd play an all Mook party and do a WIz 6+7+8 play through.

But I don't.

It's just one -- the first one. (Or at least, I think it must be. I had two Mooks once, and only the first one was taken. The other one was completely ignored.) I think the Mook ranger is my favorite race/class combo . . . that great Senses score and the ability to use the Giant's Sword is fantastic.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
But only the Elf Ranger can use the Elf Bow that has an innate 10% instant kill chance. That's pretty huge. And the Ranger's Critical Strike magnifies this by insane amounts.

Of course, the only way to get it is to import it from Wizardry 7.

Binary

Liturgist
I finished Wiz6 but not Wiz7 - always felt tempted to play Wiz8 with my Wiz6 party. I believe it's possible (maybe not recommendable) with the only advantage being that it's IIRC the only way to bring the Diamond Ring into Wiz8

I am no expert on any Wizardry (even on Wiz6) but I know one thing: Ninja Faeries own.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I am not sure you can import characters from 6 to 8.

To get the diamond ring you import 6-7 and 7-8; and then you can give it to the person who is most attached it in 8 for FAT experience.

Texas Red

Whiner
Where did the party start if you imported from previous games? What was the differences?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
It depends. Depending on if you go with Bela, kill Bela, or go with the Android in 6 you start 7 in the wild, near the T'Rang, or near the Umpani.

In 8 again it depends on how you ended 7. If you ended siding with Umpani or T'Rang you start in their base-camps and with some pre-friendship; and if you sides with neither I believe you start in the monastary as normal.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Heck, that's probably one of the most awesome choice and consequence situations ever. I wish more games would allow you to import your party from the previous game.

Why did SirTech have to go bankrupt :cry:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Their games sucked; they only produced crap like Wizardry 8 and Jagged Alliance 2; can't hold a candle to Halo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom