Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
resting on the other hand will be hard to abuse.

Keep in mind that resting more than once at a time restores the points slower. It's better to rest once, then move around for a while or have a battle and then rest again to get the fast restoration of the first rest.

Spiky

Learned
I am about to dishonor this thread with my poor knowledge of Wizardry series, so read further on your own risk.

First Wizardry game I played was 8. Even though I replayed it like 10 times already, I never tried the older ones. I would like to give W7 a try, but I would like to know more about it before I start it. Could you recommend some good source of information how the game works? I know the basics, but what I want to know is things like (all about Wizardry 7):
1 - Are there time specific events? Like you can only meet some NPC during night etc.
2 - Are NPCs wandering through the world or they stand on the same tile whole time
3 - Can all NPCs be killed? - if so, is it permanent death or they respawn later
4 - Do NPCs interact with each other? For example, can one NPC kill another one?
5 - What about dialogue choices - I really liked how I could ask NPCs in W8 about rumors and all kind of specific stuff - What is your opinion about this?

If someone could take his time and answer these, I would appreciate it.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
1 - Are there time specific events? Like you can only meet some NPC during night etc.

Not much of that. There is a shop where the shopkeeper is only there during the night in one town and during the day at another location.

2 - Are NPCs wandering through the world or they stand on the same tile whole time

Most are in one place, but there are also around 15 NPC parties who wander the world and are competing with you.

3 - Can all NPCs be killed? - if so, is it permanent death or they respawn later

Yes, all NPC's can be permanently killed. No respawning, with one notable exception.

4 - Do NPCs interact with each other? For example, can one NPC kill another one?

Oh yes, indeed. But only the wandering NPC's.

5 - What about dialogue choices - I really liked how I could ask NPCs in W8 about rumors and all kind of specific stuff - What is your opinion about this?

Yeah, you kind ask about rumors and other things.

Spiky

Learned
Sounds pretty good. Thank you.

I would like to know more about these NPCs that are competing against the player's group. Are they really moving towards their goal? For example, can they claim some quest item by reaching the place where it is before player's party arrives there to claim it? It really sounds interesting...

I mean, in W8, there were Mooks, Umpani, T'Rang all "trying" for the same thing as player's group. But not really. Mooks had the artifact in their building in Arnika all the time, until you stole it. It's not like they were really competing against the player.

Last edited:

Reapa

Doom Preacher
I am about to dishonor this thread with my poor knowledge of Wizardry series, so read further on your own risk.

First Wizardry game I played was 8. Even though I replayed it like 10 times already, I never tried the older ones. I would like to give W7 a try, but I would like to know more about it before I start it. Could you recommend some good source of information how the game works? I know the basics, but what I want to know is things like (all about Wizardry 7):

If someone could take his time and answer these, I would appreciate it.
here's what i did:
started with wiz 6. looked at guides and shit, made my own plan of multiclassing, overpowered my party, went with bela and imported my savegame.
now since i went with bela in wiz 6 i started wiz 7 near umpani. had to walk all the way to the starting town. had to pass 2 towns and the roads between them and kill a lot of trash on the way. now that trash was very strong and it took a while and some save scumming to pass it, but i endured it and in enduring i grew strong. so strong that by the time i hit the starting dungeon, i was much too overpowered and over equipped to not lose all interest.
no, npcs shouldn't kill each other, this is not oblivion.
why would you want to kill npcs? if you need xp you can just turn around in a circle.
there is a text parser. so trial and error until you're sick of that kind of mini game.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I would like to know more about these NPCs that are competing against the player's group. Are they really moving towards their goal? For example, can they claim some quest item by reaching the place where it is before player's party arrives there to claim it? It really sounds interesting...

Yes, they can find quest items before you, they can trade those items among each other and kill each other to get them. And you can do the same.

no, npcs shouldn't kill each other,

The wandering NPC's do kill each other.

Reapa

Doom Preacher

Yes, they can find quest items before you, they can trade those items among each other and kill each other to get them. And you can do the same.

no, npcs shouldn't kill each other,

The wandering NPC's do kill each other.
can you actually see them killing each other or do you only get told they did?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
You can't see it, but there is a spell that tells you where the competing parties are. Also, when other NPC's tell you what they know and mention what other NPC's are doing, you know that those are still alive for sure.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
You can't see it, but there is a spell that tells you where the competing parties are. Also, when other NPC's tell you what they know and mention what other NPC's are doing, you know that those are still alive for sure.
do these npcs have names? or are they just respawning parties that play catch with each other until you take away the maps from them?
not that it makes a lot of a difference, since as i understand it, you don't actually lose the game, they just wait for you to go kill them. so either way it's more of a story gimmick.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Yeah, each one has a cool name and your relationship to them will reflect in how other NPC's from the same race respond to you, including shopkeepers.

I killed an Umpani party early on and after that the Umpani shopkeeper kept attacking me, so I put him down. After that the Umpani City people didn't talk to me, so I fought them too.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Yeah, each one has a cool name and your relationship to them will reflect in how other NPC's from the same race respond to you, including shopkeepers.

I killed an Umpani party early on and after that the Umpani shopkeeper kept attacking me, so I put him down. After that the Umpani City people didn't talk to me, so I fought them too.
now that is indeed a worthy mechanic.

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
HEEEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPP!

I have a Level10 party on the Isle of the Dead. It is Wizardry 6.
The ghosts cry and my party get afraid and run away. It is very annoying! What can I do? I am using Magic Screen.

Save my soul kkkhhmm party, please!

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I think ghost cries are breath attacks, so Magic Screen doesn't protect against them. Just kill them quickly or use Remove Minor Affliction on party members. Leveling up probably helps too.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
HEEEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPP!

I have a Level10 party on the Isle of the Dead. It is Wizardry 6.
The ghosts cry and my party get afraid and run away. It is very annoying! What can I do? I am using Magic Screen.

Save my soul kkkhhmm party, please!

Is that the place where you have to use Incense to avoid traps? The big long hallway with all the little alcoves along it?

Or is it just a random encounter? You can save and reload until you get a fight that is more manageable.

Or are you talking about the ghost mini-bosses in the Tomb of the damned before you get the flying boots?

Go back and grind. Kill Nightgaunts with Astral Gate, or Dispel Undead on the zombies.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Scripted encounter of 16-24 enemies in 4 stacks? Ok.

They spam aoe fear each turn? That's fine.

They have paralyzing all-reaching attacks? Sure.

There's an aoe silencing trap before them? I'm not even mad.

BUT THE FACT THAT ALL THESE SHITS ALSO HAVE INHERENT BLINK NOW THAT'S SOMETHING THAT IS JUST ABOUT TO LEAVE ME ON THE BRINK OF A FUCKING RAGE QUIT IS WHAT IT IS

WHO THOUGHT SOMETHING AS IDIOTIC AS THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA

MY GOD

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
BUT THE FACT THAT ALL THESE SHITS ALSO HAVE INHERENT BLINK NOW THAT'S SOMETHING THAT IS JUST ABOUT TO LEAVE ME ON THE BRINK OF A FUCKING RAGE QUIT IS WHAT IT IS

WHO THOUGHT SOMETHING AS IDIOTIC AS THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA

MY GOD

You won't get Powerstrike that easily, you know.

Which battle?

Orkogre castle in the room of the wizard.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'm looking forward to hearing about Roxor's fight's against Mighty Mouse and 1000 Eyes. If he lasts that long.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Mighty Mouse is overrated, while only masochists try to defeat 1000 Eyes. Speaking of which, if you find Bat Necklaces, you should keep them if you want to fight 1000 Eyes.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'm looking forward to hearing about Roxor's fight's against Mighty Mouse and 1000 Eyes. If he lasts that long.

I've already broken my way through wiz6, I'm not giving up midway no matter what now :argh:

However, on a serious note, is there any reliable way to handle blinking enemies other than with clouds? It was already driving me to the brink of sudoku in wiz6, but there at least it was reserved only to the late game, while here the blinkers have been triggering me from the very start (ghosts in Ukpyr), and this is honestly some of the greatest bullshit I've encountered in the last 10 years, and I've goddamn seen a lot of bullshit.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
However, on a serious note, is there any reliable way to handle blinking enemies other than with clouds? It was already driving me to the brink of sudoku in wiz6, but there at least it was reserved only to the late game, while here the blinkers have been triggering me from the very start (ghosts in Ukpyr), and this is honestly some of the greatest bullshit I've encountered in the last 10 years, and I've goddamn seen a lot of bullshit.

I honestly don't remember blink giving me any real trouble in the game. I think that one battle with the ravens is the worst.

-In Dane tower you will encounter groups of casters in massive numbers, fail to get a silence off and you can get pretty hosed.

-In the T'Rang area you encounter groups of casters in massive numbers, fail to get a silence off and you can get pretty hosed.

-In the Rattkin area you encounter groups of ninjas in massive numbers, who are fast and have instakill attacks and can't be silenced because alchemy. So you are always hosed when you fight them.

-In the final dungeon you will encounter groups of 3 demons, who can be easily swatted down with a single Astral Gate spell/instrument, and will net you 12 times the XP of any previous random battle.

I usually save-scummed my way past any encounter with more than 2 stacks of opponents. Spellcaster spam is the biggest threat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom