Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

octavius

Arcane
Patron
It's pretty anticlimatic to solve a difficult series of puzzles and challenges, work your way through a dungeon, and find an empty chest. The fact this can happen multiple times is really damn annoying.

Happened to me only once.

I have five lvl 9 dudes who've never multiclassed (fighter, thief, ranjer, mage, priest; idea was to multi fighter and thiaf into samurai and ninja but well them level-ups weren't very generous for me :M) and a valk who multi'd from fighter around level 4 and is now level 9 too. I have a feeling I'm doing something wrong :M

If you have rotten luck with stat increases, it may be a good idea to use Ranger as an intermediate class.
And of course the right race and class combos are always important.

DraQ

Arcane
Originally it was supposed to be a 6 Fairy Fighters run, but I decided to cut myself a bit of slack and lower it down to "Heavy Martial Class focus" - the fairy's advantages really doesn't make up for the disadvantages of having some pretty arbitrary equipment limits (did you know they can equip Rocket Launchers, but not Blunderbusses?), but it's not really that much of a self-imposed challenge run either.
Rocket launcher can be equipped by every race and class because you have to use it to progress down Umpani questline. Overall, yeah, who can use what is an arbitrary mess.

Regarding your party:
Why no samurai? Most weaboo swords are faerie compatible, same with weaboo staves and hybrids don't waste Faerie mana regen.
Same with the monk, but you've already noticed that.

Any class relying on ammo is going to suck with faerie, so ranger and gadgeteer are not going to work well, same with classes relying on a lot of carried shit (so gadgeteer again and bard).

TigerKnee

Arcane
You don't actually need to even fire a single rocket in the Rocket Launcher training part of the Umpani quest - just take the rockets, walk in, loot the storage room and leave.

Samurai would have been nice for Enchanted Plate + Missile Shield, but in terms of damage I think the Diamond Epee under Berserk would win out until the Muramasa Blade. But when the fighter gets an end-game weapon under Berserk, it's going be more consistent than praying for Lightning Strike and Crits.

Strangely enough, carrying weight was less of an issue because the only character in this party who actually wears any armor at all is Vi, so you can actually cart around quite a lot of ammo.

biggestboss

Liturgist
I think I'm nearing the end of Wizardry 7 and am currently thinking/planning about Wizardry 8 import. I couldn't find information on the importing mechanic though, only found a list of items that you can import. Do I need to equip the items I want to import into Wizardry 8 or is it enough to just have them in my inventory?

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I think I'm nearing the end of Wizardry 7 and am currently thinking/planning about Wizardry 8 import. I couldn't find information on the importing mechanic though, only found a list of items that you can import. Do I need to equip the items I want to import into Wizardry 8 or is it enough to just have them in my inventory?

Just have them in your inventory. Also if I recall correctly it starts them at level 1 but gives them XP for level 5, so you can freely level them and assign stats/skills.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I feel like the game gets very boring once you hit the Rapax Castle - Rapax are HP bloat, yet they hit like pinpricks, so you spend a long time killing enemies that can't hurt you so bunker down for a long haul unless you get lucky with Insta-kills. One of the climatic end fights being a battle against an army of Rapax completely falls flat when you realize you've been doing that for the past few hours. I powered through the end for the purpose of beating this challenge, but if I didn't have to, I think I would just consider the game won once you reach that area.
This. So much this.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
wiz 7 and 8 are such utter disappointments. they're passable as RPGs but they were stripped of all strategic layers and made bereft of that which makes the true Wizardry formula endlessly engaging.

- itemization went completely downhill as the emphasis on huge, open areas (wiz 7 mostly, tbh), by necessity had to do away with the tried and true system of tying loot to dungeon floors and not to enemies or "pockets" of areas. the different tiers of item rarity in regards to the actual "drop" were also gutted since everything had to be spread out.

- classes became meaningless when they were made available to anyone at any time without requirements. this also closely dovetails with the lack of good itemization and progression curve of 7 and 8 (wiz 6 is still recognizably a Wiz game and actually even features dungeons, imagine that); with the itemization design / loot system / fixed encounters removed from the gameplay biomap, coupled with the newfound lack of depth to any of the character classes*, it all makes for a lackluster experience.

*as evidenced by this very thread where everybody has consistently said, regarding wiz 6/7/8, that "there's no real need for multi-classing anymore". Gee, I wonder why.

- lack of focused gameplay instances (such as for example, dungeons) and emphasis on incredibly boring and tedious over-world "exploration" (i.e. a dungeon without any design or thought gone into it) makes for a boring meld of game play systems. Without even the sure knowledge that the deeper into the dungeon you go the better the loot gets to give a sense of progression what happened is that (again, mostly about Wiz 7 here, as 6 and 8 are much better) you are playing a Wizardry game without any meaningful party management, resource management, loot progression or meaningful exploration, i.e. "beating" a dungeon floor.

(no kids, walking around over endless over-land tiles without any rhyme or reason does not equate to meaningful exploration. it can, but in the case of wiz 7 it does not).

Not even gonna get into the horrendously designed puzzles in 6 and 7 (Bradley's signature stink) as I can fully appreciate that some people like those types of puzzles (obtuse ones that don't follow logic nor do they require the manipulation of game mechanics to solve or bypass).

...LOL, every time someone cites "but Wiz 6-8 have NPCs! and they have real cities!" I only smile and cry inwardly. Nothing wrong with either of those things, but can anyone honestly say they found any of the NPCs in 6-8 to be engaging in a real way? I sure didn't.

Snap-cha-roo!! Quee-queeg!

Ugh.

biggestboss

Liturgist
Just started Wizardry 8 for the first time and I already feel that it's 1000x better than Wizardry 7, mostly because I feel like I actually know where I'm supposed to go without reading a walkthrough for the entire game.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
wiz 7 and 8 are such utter disappointments. they're passable as RPGs but they were stripped of all strategic layers and made bereft of that which makes the true Wizardry formula endlessly engaging.

- itemization went completely downhill as the emphasis on huge, open areas (wiz 7 mostly, tbh), by necessity had to do away with the tried and true system of tying loot to dungeon floors and not to enemies or "pockets" of areas. the different tiers of item rarity in regards to the actual "drop" were also gutted since everything had to be spread out.

Not sure I understand this complaint, in both Wiz7 and 8 better items and loot are available further on in the more difficult areas. The best gear is either guarded by bosses or in areas with difficult encounters. The only change I can think of is the better gear is usually placed in chests; in older wizardrys all good loot was monster drops (Blade Cuisinart) and all you had to do was go to the desired floor and grind encounters for drops in front of the stairs.

- classes became meaningless when they were made available to anyone at any time without requirements. this also closely dovetails with the lack of good itemization and progression curve of 7 and 8 (wiz 6 is still recognizably a Wiz game and actually even features dungeons, imagine that); with the itemization design / loot system / fixed encounters removed from the gameplay biomap, coupled with the newfound lack of depth to any of the character classes*, it all makes for a lackluster experience.

*as evidenced by this very thread where everybody has consistently said, regarding wiz 6/7/8, that "there's no real need for multi-classing anymore". Gee, I wonder why.

I can't speak for everyone else but when I read beginner advice that says "don't worry about multiclassing" I saw it as telling people not worry about those mechanics in the beginning of the game or during character creation. I think that advice is to not fret over class changes in the early game, when they are indeed not important.

However it's wrong to say the classes don't have requirements, each class requires specific stats, and since stat increases are random it can be considerably difficult to achieve a string of desired class changes but highly beneficial and rewarding to do so. In fact, compared to the original games, class changing in Wiz 6 and 7 is vastly overpowered due to the skill system since it allows you to get max level spells and critical strike before you're even halfway through the game, if you get the stat boosts you need. If you get RNG screwed you may make the game harder while you are stuck in an undesired class. The older games tied spells to class level and didn't have things like Skullduggery or Critical strike; there actually wasn't a huge benefit to multiclassing since you couldn't stack class skills on top of each other. You could easily beat the game with a party of fighters, mage, cleric, thief; whereas in Wiz6 and 7 a party that never multiclasses is at a large disadvantage.

Wiz 8 changes the class changing system so it's not so abusable but lets you abuse the training system instead, so it's kind of a wash. They did go to some effort to try to rebalance all the classes so they were all equally viable, with mixed results, but I think it's a pretty impressive effort considering all the older systems they were building off of.

- lack of focused gameplay instances (such as for example, dungeons) and emphasis on incredibly boring and tedious over-world "exploration" (i.e. a dungeon without any design or thought gone into it) makes for a boring meld of game play systems. Without even the sure knowledge that the deeper into the dungeon you go the better the loot gets to give a sense of progression what happened is that (again, mostly about Wiz 7 here, as 6 and 8 are much better) you are playing a Wizardry game without any meaningful party management, resource management, loot progression or meaningful exploration, i.e. "beating" a dungeon floor.

Again not sure I understand this complaint since Wizardry 7 has tons of dungeons and they are by far where you spend the majority of your time. The overworld is little more than a few paths through the forests connecting the dungeons; I agree it's empty and boring but it's not where you spend most of your time. The towns serve as intros to the dungeons proper in some cases (Munkharama, Nyctalinth), in others there there are no towns and it's just a big dungeon (Orkogre castle, Dane tower). Dane tower alone has more traps and puzzles than Wiz 6's dungeons, which were mostly mazes (Dwarf mines, Amazulu Pyramid)

Wiz8's dungeons on the other hand are more simplistic, they suit the game okay but are a shadow of former Wizardry games. But they at least made the overworld areas more interesting with more points of interest and items to find.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Just started Wizardry 8 for the first time and I already feel that it's 1000x better than Wizardry 7, mostly because I feel like I actually know where I'm supposed to go without reading a walkthrough for the entire game.

Combat plays very differently in Wiz 8 due to the 3d systems and the swarming behavior of enemies. What party setup are you using?

biggestboss

Liturgist
Combat plays very differently in Wiz 8 due to the 3d systems and the swarming behavior of enemies. What party setup are you using?
I'm using my un-optimized and thrown together imported Wiz 7 party of Fighter, Lord, Ninja, Valkyrie, Alchemist, and Bishop. I was actually concerned about getting used to the combat or if the ugly 3D aged poorly, but learning about "Walk Pending" changed everything for me. I also enjoy the upgrades to Vi Domina's chest area.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Honestly, the class balance in Wiz 8 is kinda wonky. It mostly gets away with it because... well, the hardest part of the game is Arnika Road, then it's smooth sailing with only a handful of dangerous set pieces like the battles that gate powerful items like Fang.

The class balance issue becomes really obvious in several mods because most of them (poorly) try to increase the difficulty of the game through ridiculous monsters/encounters, which ends up being very "I hope you have Fighters and Rogues in your party"

biggestboss

Liturgist
Just to make sure before I waste a lot of hours, I can get my Alchemist to learn Set Portal and Return to Portal at lvl 11 just by skilling up my Alchemy? Or do I need Air or both? The FAQs I've read on this subject lead me to believe all I need is Alchemy, but I just want to be 110% sure. This is really important to me because my fondest memories of playing a game like Arcanum was teleporting everywhere and my least fondest memories were created yesterday by needing to walk from the Hall of the Past to City of Sky and back.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Just to make sure before I waste a lot of hours, I can get my Alchemist to learn Set Portal and Return to Portal at lvl 11 just by skilling up my Alchemy? Or do I need Air or both?
Main Casting Skill + (Realm Skill / 10) = 60 for Tier 5 spells.

In this case it would be
Alchemy + (Air / 10) = 60

So you could do it with 60 points in Alchemy and 0 in Air.
OR
54 points in Alchemy and 60 in Air.
OR
52 points in Alchemy and 80 in Air

Or any other combination that fulfills the mathematical formula.

As you can see, learning spells is more affected by the Main Casting Skill. Casting spells successfully however is more affected by the Realm skill.

HOWEVER, Set Portal and Return to Portal is a special spell because you can have 0 Air skill and still cast them at 100% rate.

biggestboss

Liturgist
What's this?
As far as I can tell, it lets me queue up melee attacks when I'm done assigning actions in a combat phase, then it allows me to walk or run to where I want in the middle of combat and unleashes my queued attacks if I am in range of enemies after the move. There's probably more to it than that but what I know is enough for me right now.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I can't speak for everyone else but when I read beginner advice that says "don't worry about multiclassing" I saw it as telling people not worry about those mechanics in the beginning of the game or during character creation. I think that advice is to not fret over class changes in the early game, when they are indeed not important.

However it's wrong to say the classes don't have requirements, each class requires specific stats, and since stat increases are random it can be considerably difficult to achieve a string of desired class changes but highly beneficial and rewarding to do so. In fact, compared to the original games, class changing in Wiz 6 and 7 is vastly overpowered due to the skill system since it allows you to get max level spells and critical strike before you're even halfway through the game, if you get the stat boosts you need. If you get RNG screwed you may make the game harder while you are stuck in an undesired class. The older games tied spells to class level and didn't have things like Skullduggery or Critical strike; there actually wasn't a huge benefit to multiclassing since you couldn't stack class skills on top of each other. You could easily beat the game with a party of fighters, mage, cleric, thief; whereas in Wiz6 and 7 a party that never multiclasses is at a large disadvantage.

It was I who said not to worry about multi-classing, but only in Wiz 6.
In Wiz 6 you can spend the skill points freely, so you get enough skill points to be able to cast the high level spells when you need them.
But in Wiz 7, you have to waste some of the precious skill points on useless (since they increases so rapidly through use) weapon skills, so it takes very long to be able cast basic spells like Cure Poison if you don't multi-class for skill points.

But another thing to consider is that your characters class level is used in every battle calculation, so a multi-classed lvl 13 character will noticeable more vulnerable to enemy spells than a lvl 16 single class character.

And a second thing to consider is that the critical hit ability is more important in Wiz 7 than in Wiz 6, due to the increased encounter frequency and the annoying HP Bloat, so to be able to critically hit is more valuable in Wiz 7 than in Wiz 6.

Bottom line: Multi-classing is highly useful in Wiz 7, but not really needed in Wiz 6.

EDIT: it's especially the prestige classes that suffer from getting few skill points in Wiz 7, so base classes are best in the beginning to build up magic skills.

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Finished Wizardry 7. That was it? That was D.W. Bradley's masterpiece I've heard about all these years?

I will say, I bought Wizards & Warriors on release on impulse, never heard of Bradley before then, and thought the game was a little weird but "kinda like Wizardry!" Makes more sense now.

Wiz 7's final dungeon was a lot more complicated than Wiz 6's (or anything in Wiz 8 for that matter) but way easier in terms of monsters. Figuring out the maze levels felt satisfying, even if the monsters were simple. Only the Gorrors were actually tough, and they were optional. Also, another recommendation to be level 20+ before the endgame that I found baffling; everything in the final dungeon up to the bosses was easy at level 16, plus you get so much XP in there that's the best place to level anyway. Gained 10 levels in one dungeon, that's some crazy XP balance.

Kept the same party, did some class changing with the casters to get their spell levels up in the beginning, but left the front-liners alone. They were all just maxing out their kirijutsu and ninjutsu in the endgame, so it worked out. I'm liking having +2 bonus AC on all characters in Wiz 8 (on the other hand it feels like it screwed me out of bonus stats).

Wiz 7 is pretty stingy in terms of weapons, nothing beats the import items from Wiz 6 except the Light Sword. It even has the same type of optional Undead Samurai boss in the final dungeon that only gives you the Bushido Blade, which is a midgame item in Wiz 6. It also expects you to beat a ridiculous super-boss to get the Fireball bard instrument, like it's some kind of Ultimate Super Weapon or something.

I can't recall if the game ever explains the Maps to the player or not. The game does tell you your goal is to find the Astral Dominae, but does it ever tell you that you need the maps? I remember the convo about how the races of Guardia were once united, and now they aren't, but no one ever explicitly says, "Collect all the maps to find the way to the Astral Dominae." Maybe I missed it? I don't think its too much to ask for a game to explain its main goal to the player. Comparing it to the Destinae Dominus quest in Wiz 8 and it's pretty much night and day.

I still can't figure out what the wandering NPCs were actually for. They appear to lie; I heard multiple times from different people that master Xheng had the Crypt map, but it ended up being in the chest where it was supposed to be, so wtf? I found all the other maps in the dungeons too. So all those annoying unskippable text intros for nothing. I guess they were handy for mobile vendors to dump items on, but hardly worth all the other annoyances. The Rodan-Shritis quest was the only one that made use of the mechanic, but it broke all context of the game:

(In Nyctalinth)

You see Rodan Lewarx. "HEY NEPS, HAVE YOU SEEN SHRITIS T'RANG ANYWHERE?"

Party: "Um, you're standing in the T'Rang base."

Rodan: "WELL IF YOU FIND HIM LET ME KNOW! DEATH TO THE T'RANG!"

(Two steps and 30+ dead T'Rang later)

You see Shritis T'Rang: "HISSS-HAVE-YOU-KILLED-RODAN-YET?"

Party: "Dude he's two steps back!"

Shritis: "I-WILL-REWARD-YOU-IF-YOU-KILL-HIMMMM!"

D.W. Bradley, Developer of the Century, Greatest Game of All Time, 1,000,000/10.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I think the wandering NPCs were there to make the game more dyamic and less predictable than your usual CRPG, and in that respect it succeeded, even though the results were not always logical.
But the whole thing petered out about halfway through the game, when (at least when I played) all of them were dead or had stopped moving, which again ties to the size of the game: it's just too big and the encounter frequency should have been halved.

As for the maps, I remember being very conscious about finding them ASAP, although I don't recall the why of it.

BTW, how long did you take to complete it? I used two months, which is the most time I spend completing a CRPG.

And did you defeat 1000 Eyes?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom