Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
I had not played Knight of Diamonds in almost 30 years and I'm loving it!

Wizardry I feels a bit plain between floor 4 and 9, with barely anything special to find in the maze. The contrast after you begin playing II is immediate. You have a clear goal on each floor, and each of them has a distinctive feel and challenge. I'm so glad I decided to try again I - II - III!

A question for the veterans (I'm playing the psx version, which is as far as I know a 1:1 rendition of PC). Manual says ninjas shouldn't wear equipment or weapons. Natural AC of my L14 ninja is 2, which isn't good enough as he gets to -4 with gear. Also, while armored and wielding a longsword +2, he still decapitates, and it doesn't feel less frequent. Am I missing something here? I seem to remember playing them without equipment back in the day.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Personally I never came close to having a Ninja in Wiz 1-3. Didn't even know they could decapitate enemies.
Playing the DOS version and not cheating the only realistic way to get a Ninja is probably to get that Dagger of Evil (I think it was called) and have your thief activate it.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Personally I never came close to having a Ninja in Wiz 1-3. Didn't even know they could decapitate enemies.
Playing the DOS version and not cheating the only realistic way to get a Ninja is probably to get that Dagger of Evil (I think it was called) and have your thief activate it.

Yeah I used a Dagger of Thieves, PSX LLygahmyn saga is identical to DOS mechanics-wise.

Well, I guess I'll go on with my armored ninja for now, as he seems to perform real well in the front row and still can deal with traps most times. I'm currently running with SAM - SAM - NIN - CLE - WIZ - MAG, but the Wizard (Bishop) is really crappy as a caster, only good for identify.

Jason Liang

Arcane
A Ninja needs to be like lvl 40 to be LO AC... that's only realistic if you raise a lvl 40 Thief and use the Dagger of Thieves. Maybe level 41 Thief to use the energy drain exploit....

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
A Ninja needs to be like lvl 40 to be LO AC... that's only realistic if you raise a lvl 40 Thief and use the Dagger of Thieves. Maybe level 41 Thief to use the energy drain exploit....

Level 40? With 1 million XP I have a level 14-15 party; can't even imagine what kind of grinding is needed to reach that!

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive

Level 40? With 1 million XP I have a level 14-15 party; can't even imagine what kind of grinding is needed to reach that!
You would need 1000000 *(2^25) XP to reach that.
Edit: Did the math. You'd need 33.554 TRILLION XP to get to LvL 40

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Well, I guess I'll go on with my armored ninja for now, as he seems to perform real well in the front row and still can deal with traps most times. I'm currently running with SAM - SAM - NIN - CLE - WIZ - MAG, but the Wizard (Bishop) is really crappy as a caster, only good for identify.

In Wiz 1-3 I think it's better to have the Bishop sit at home in the guild and bring items to him to ID. In Wiz 5 his ability was tied to his level, though.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer

In Wiz 1-3 I think it's better to have the Bishop sit at home in the guild and bring items to him to ID. In Wiz 5 his ability was tied to his level, though.

True, but it really felt like a pain to switch him with another char every time I went back to town. Plus identifying on the field is useful in KOD with all the loot you get, so you can drop the junk and keep storing good items. Not sure what I'll use the money for, tho. Just wasted 100K on that "wizened sage" guy at level 2.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Well basically you take a Thief and probably a Samurai (or a Lord that can also cast lvl 9 Mage spells) 2-man party to grind level 10 until the Thief gets to level 41, then have him Dagger of Thieves into a level 41 Ninja. Then you use the energy drain exploit and gain like 32 trillion xp:D

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Well basically you take a Thief and probably a Samurai (or a Lord that can also cast lvl 9 Mage spells) 2-man party to grind level 10 until the Thief gets to level 41, then have him Dagger of Thieves into a level 41 Ninja. Then you use the energy drain exploit and gain like 32 trillion xp:D

Oh see de clever man.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Yes, it's a huge, unbalanced and unfun trainwreck. Like all of them.

Get the Kaucukovink's mod from the Codex workshop, that's all you need.

Last edited:

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
Isn't KOD ending a bit... anticlimatic?

Floor 6 is super tough, but after the riddle I expected some kind of final boss. Instead you are forced to remove most party members and do a routine walk through floor 1, then bam! you won. If you were forced to solo one final area it'd have been cool (although those gauntlets trivialize the game, but still)

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
Anyone tried mods for Wizardry 8?

Especially, Dodd the Slayer mod.

Yes, I have tried these mods: The best is the Deathstalker mod. Dodd 2.4 Daegan is good. Reforged is very good. I can recommend them.

Wizardry 8 Enhancements - is this mod finished?

And now...something different:
I changed the rolls of number of appearance of every random monsters to 11 using the Cosmic Forge editor. I am very curious about what will be happen. Is it a good idea?

TigerKnee

Arcane
Wiz 8 Enhancements original goal was to be the original game with some QoL and minor balance tweaks compared to most other mods which try to make really huge, sweeping changes, in that regards it's pretty much complete.

I think the author wants to add in a new area but hasn't got around to it.

mmap

Literate
So I'm playing Wizardry 7. I'm using the cluebook.
In New City, the player is supposed to free an orc prisoner. There is a "black box" in the city's prison that asks for color code. In another part of the city I found the "black wafer", that, when read, says "ETX: BYYR". Hopefully you (the ones who played W7) remember this one...
What I want to know is how the player is supposed to figure this puzzle out. The only "logic" (so to say) that I can see here is this: the BLACK box asks about COLORS; the BLACK wafer has some text on it (so the answer might be there?). This kind of "logic" is too retarded for my liking; also, what is ETX? Is that just a red herring of sorts, or does the game mention ETX somewhere?
Basically, I played W6 and it was all right, but puzzles in it were pretty annoying; I'm not sure whether I should continue playing W7, or skip it and go straight to W8 directly. I like the combats (even despite the very bad UI), but following the walkthrough all the time is not very fun, and I don't want to spend a lot of time trying to solve dumb puzzles like the black box one. I've read this thread and people are saying that puzzles in W7 are really bad. But maybe I'm missing something. Explain the black box puzzle to me?

mmap

Literate
Blue Yellow Yellow Red?
Yes, this one. Actually, I wasn't asking for a solution (I've read it in the cluebook), but more about "how the player was supposed to figure this out"? As in, what kind of thought process could lead to the solution?
I guess, I'm saying that the puzzles in Wizardry 7 seem completely illogical to me. I'm sure I'm not the only one complaining about that... for example, reading this thread, octavius and Admiral Jimbob used walkthroughs to beat the game.
That sucks. Anyway, I downloaded the Cosmic Forge editor and I'll keep playing W7 and use the editor to figure things out. I found tinkering with it to be more fun than reading the cluebook :cool:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom