Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I prefer the SNES bitmaps over the PSX polygons

for SNES W6, I actually thought it was harder in the beginning than the DOS version, as enemies seemed to hit me far more often in the beginning, while I missed more often than in the DOS version. Later on it gets easier. Also the SNES W6 version has an actually useful automap if you crave that and more livelier graphics, though I much prefer the gloomy EGA graphics of the DOS version

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
ps1 ports are content-identical, however, and that is much more important than graphics.

...also real men play the ps1 ports in wire-frame mode; of couse after they finish a DOS/NEC-PC playthrough :)

as for Wiz 6 i also prefer the snes version.

for Wiz 1-5, best ports are indisputably the ps1 ports. options to change everything into English language, and also options to change all graphics and sprites to originals; or play with the "remake" ps1 polygonal graphics.

Could you explain what of each option do in Wiz5 PSX?
First one is English ON.
Seventh (?) or sixth is change background from polygonal to wirefrime, what about rest?

I've already tried Wiz4 but this game is insane (bullshitly, battletoadical insane), at least PSX port has automap and savestates thanks to emulator. I wonder if anyone here except C.Bee finished this shit and how much did it take.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
first four options (the kanji all look the same) shift them over to the right. or if you want the most accurate answer:
WizardryPS1EnglishSettings.jpg

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
the first four options are the language options, and fifth and sixth options are for having auto-map on/off and for whether or not to use original sprites for enemies.

the (left at defalt) seventh option, right above BGM, is for changing the graphics to wireframe.

EDIT: oh, the first four options change into english:

- monster
- spell
- item
- game text

There is a ps1 port of Wiz7, but they decided not to include english game text because of the game size, plus the polygonal graphics are atrocious. 7 and 8 are best played on DOS/Windows.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I've found useful bug in PC version of Wiz5. When your spellcasters are disrupted by Kantios, just make some orders, press T to return to the start and they are no more disrupted.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
the NEC-PC 98 port of the DOS version is the best wire-frame iteration of all of the first 5 Wiz games. They are straight-up ports of the DOS versions with the addition of much, much higher resolution graphical presentation to the japanese computers all coming w/ built in chip dedicated specifically for the high-resolution drawing of japanese kanji characters on-screen.

this results in the NEC-PC ports of the "wire-frame versions" looking absolutely hypnotic in how white those lines are, and how anti-aliased the drawn pixel of each crisp, English letter.

also, ps1 should for the love of god be able to perfectly replicate a game from the almost 15 years earlier than the ps1 remake ports.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
ps1 port of maelstrom most definitely have an automap. gotta turn it on in the system menu (in-game). try one of the shoulder buttons
should bring up a menu with "options", and it has to be one of the things being moved, because the default setup has auto-map on

Damn, which DualShock button brings up this automap (I mean, after turning it on in options)? I cannot figure it out, only thing close to it is a spell that show position on the map and that's all.

edit: Blah, found, some button was 'dead' somehawe but remapping keys brought it back.

Last edited:

Noddy

Augur
Hey Aweigh i just need you to know you're a garbage tier wizardry player who probably reloades every locked door.
My Multiclassing algorithm is so complex your head would explode from it's sheer optimized miss chance reduction. Then again your head would explode from learning the alphabet extends beyond a & b.
You couldn't navigate your way out of Fritzl's dungeon and that was like two rooms.
All your maps are monocrome. All places of interest are marked in kanjimoonrunesscribble.
My Wiz party would beat yours in a fight.
KYS Weeb SNES playing wapanese playstation fellating shitter.

That is all.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
thanks noddy. do you not know that aweigh feeds on ALL attention? there is no good or bad attention, only: ATTENTION.

EDIT: Oh, be sure to add me on Steam Friends, my steam "nickname" is: "Julio Sotomayor"

and in case u play sf 5, then my sf 5 game-name is: "Julio Sotomayor".

<(' '<)

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
So, ending of PC version of Wiz5.
I'm raped by Sorn and her band of merry demonic friends, but I describe how I released Gatekeeper.

1)Take all three cards, four staffs and Orb.
2)Travel to level 7, give card, yadda-yadaa
3) If you want to make it easier, make save just before cloning square, take only your cleric, and cast badi on your cloned enemy. Around 75% of finishing combat without any HP loss. Then return to square where your other party members are and search for dead bodies.
4) After third battle I got already indentified Club card.
Then I accidentally returned to lvl 7, and used one of the cards to return to lvl8
5) Walk to cloning square again. Instead of cloning, I think, I encountered Sorn. Release Gatekeeper and kill Sorn.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
did u clear the inferno floor of wiz 5? i.e. did you tear a new asshole into the backside of LA LA MOO MOO?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
did u clear the inferno floor of wiz 5? i.e. did you tear a new asshole into the backside of LA LA MOO MOO?
Not yet, because even Sorn's demons tear me a new asshole themselves. I need to have some more EXP and items, exploring Hades and probably killing Laughing Kettle or two. I'm working on it.
But I saw La-La-Moo-Moo. Fascinating creature.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
oooh yes, i accrued my "Sorn-levels" very easily/quickly by simply killing the laughing kettle over and over. The last time I did it, I remember the only reliable way to kill it is to have a party member USE a magic scroll which randomly summons 1 of 4, or maybe 6, "elementals",a lthough the list includes demons as well.

basiclaly enter the fight with the kettle and use the scroll of summoning and reload game UNLESS the item summons a wind djinn, as that fucker can 1-shot the Kettle. At MOST, the wind djinn might need a 2-hitter; but he usually kills the kettle on the 1st attack (which happens right after the entity is summoned by the use of the scroll; i.e. give the scroll to the highest AGILITY character).

kettle gives a party of 6 units a whopping 85k E.P., and if less ppl are in the party then even more. Doing this a few times is way waaay easier/faster than grinding on enemies in the bottom floor, or, worse even, grinding levels by fighting all of the hell-demons packed inside La La Moo Moo's domain.

it's also an excellent way to quickly level up a brand new char or a char you just want to class-change even though your party is now in the very end-game of the game. One kettle kill nets enough E.P. to bring a lvl 1 character up to like, level 15 or possibly more than that. I do remember it was just enough for the char i created to learn 6th magic-level spells.

aweigh
I'm having a blast with V on PSX and definately stick with this version but why do you think PSX port of 1/2/3 is superior to Super Famicom one? The last one looks prettiest, any gameplay changes, bugs or smt?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Who is awesome?
I am awesome!
Bhahhahahahah!
2h4z2u8.jpg

Fuck La-La-Moo-Moo, I'm outta here!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom