Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Because doesn't exist.

Epsilon

Cipher
Sadly not, though "Throb of a Demon's Heart" is a very cool title in the super famicom series. And it's been translated by Helly and MrRichard999 amongst others, but it's got nothing to do with Return of Werdna. It's just a japanese spinoff, it's even set in japan too.
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2061/

AArmanFV

Arbiter
I see, but still doesn't exist a SFC or Famicom version of Wizardry IV. And just to explain my preference, the DOS versions have those ugly blue and purple graphics and the Apple not, and in the case of Return of Werdna I think is dumbed down in dificulty with the Trebor's Ghost thing (although I was caught just a few times by the ghost and it's supposed that is moving in real time, so I don't see the complains of other players like the CRPGAddict who played the other version). The last reason is that I played like 12 games of the platform, so I learned to digest Apple II games, and because everyone plays the "enhanced versions" is difficult to find pictures of the originals, and I'm curious of how it looks like.

Dedup

Augur
And just to explain my preference, the DOS versions have those ugly blue and purple graphics and the Apple not

I used a utility called chgcolor to change the cyan and magenta to other EGA colours to make the DOS version of Wizardry a little more palatable.

ZJ80Wew.png
o8PMdmT.png

Acf5nZi.png
JjGmR7d.png

k3njbts.png
IG2xwgR.png

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Now is grey and red :lol:

Whatever, just the first two Wizardries have notable differences between the DOS releases, but I want to "cover" all the Apple releases.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You can get better results than the default colours (pink and cyan) by changing Video Card to CGA in the DOSBox configuration file, but the results from chgcolor look even better judging from the screenshots.

Ensi

Educated
I've never really played any of these kinds of games except the first Grimrock. Just installed Wiz 8. Any tips?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I've never really played any of these kinds of games except the first Grimrock. Just installed Wiz 8. Any tips?

Have fun, one of the best games ever, we will never see the likes of again

use the terrain to your advantage, funnel enemy groups into small passages where you can pick them off one by one, or alternatively position yourself in corner so that they can't surround you, use bows and throwing weapons extensively, a bard is always a good option in a wizardry game, etc. ...

Rpgsaurus Rex

Try to avoid reading about the game beforehand. Enjoy your virgin experience.

Ensi

Educated
I'm lovin it so far, played for like 5 hours straight yesterday! Lost my mage to Gregor but that's the only death so far, revived him. Reloaded a few times but mainly because my spells kept backfiring lol.

I've got a lizardman fighter (sword), rawulf valkyrie (spear), hobbit ranger (bow), elf priest (staff/wands), felpurr bard (sling/darts), and human mage focusing on fire and water so far.

Ensi

Educated
My lizardman is a beast (LITERALLY LOLOL), but my valkyrie is kinda weak in comparison. I guess I'll get her to do some light healing as well.

I wish I'd invested more in pickpocketing/lockpicking/etc, my bard does have it but I've also put a lot into his ranged/sling abilities. May hafta focus less on combat for him.

Gunnar

Arbiter
I'm playing Wiz8 for the first time and loving it. My favorite party so far is a VIT sword/shield fighter up front, STR/DEX polearm extended fighters in the middle and two (divinity wizardry alchemy) bishops in the back. The bishops completely obsolete lockpicking, but I've never seen a use for pickpocketing, am I missing something? As far as I can tell you can steal some items from the shops but money is plentiful in this game. Can you steal the really expensive items?

Also how do the earlier Wizardry titles compare to this one?

AArmanFV

Arbiter
You have like three major branches.

Wiz1-2-3

Wiz6-7

Wiz-8

Wiz 4 is in it's own league and 5 I don't know if it's a missing link between wiz 6 and 3 or if enters in the first wizardries catergory.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I've never seen a use for pickpocketing, am I missing something?
Lockpicking used to be cheesy op, but they nerfed it with a patch and now it's just standard "get some extra stuff if you wish". Then again they left tons of other cheese for people who like that sort of thing, so why even bother.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
The bishops completely obsolete lockpicking, but I've never seen a use for pickpocketing, am I missing something?
I liked using legerdemain in early Wiz7. Also it was overpowered in unpatched Wiz8 to the point that you could steal tons of high end items.
Can you steal the really expensive items?
In the unpatched Wiz8 - yes.
Also how do the earlier Wizardry titles compare to this one?
They are better.
Wiz7>Wiz6>Wiz8
Wiz4 is great but ridiculously unfair.
Wiz1 was fine.

Wizardy 8 have very shitty dungeons and butchered class changing. Also it's really small game on par with Wiz6.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Thanks for the answers. I'll try Wiz7 next. Anything I should know - patches, mods?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom