Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Damn. I didn't think that was even possible. Ffs.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Too bad he's Good. No instant Ninja, which is the one class that is very difficult to get in Wiz 1-3, and 5.
But instant Lord is not too bad either.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
janior123tlen.pl

once your main party reaches level 9-13 and you have 1 or more mages capable of casting SOCORDI (summons a random creature to fight for you) then go and beat up the laughing kettle.

he gives like 90k exp to each party member when defeated. I recommend you save before any laughing kettle attempt tho as he will party wipe you in like 3 rounds or less.

before that you can always just defeat the jokers of doom / master samurai / hatamotos / royal ladies / lords, etc, that are found as random encounters in the fifth floor. you can use the 1st floor's elevator to reach the fifth floor (and escape BACK to the 1st floor when low on hits) in probably less than 35 steps each way. if the fifth floor enemies are too strong then grind the fourth floor enemies: medusa / armor eaters / etc.

my point is that it's not worth wasting time grinding the bats in b1f... shit loot and shit exp. if you can beat the bats you can beat the enemies in the 2nd and 3rd floors, and if you can beat THOSE then you beat the enemies in the 4th floor... etc.

remember that loot is tied to the floor you're on. and sometimes a good weapon or a good piece of armor is better for a character's battle effectiveness than 5 levels could be.

re: Wizardry 5

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Too bad he's Good. No instant Ninja, which is the one class that is very difficult to get in Wiz 1-3, and 5.

Although if his alignment shifts from Good to Evil in-game you can change him to Ninja if all stats are 17+.

janior

Arcane
Vatnik
janior123tlen.pl

once your main party reaches level 9-13 and you have 1 or more mages capable of casting SOCORDI (summons a random creature to fight for you) then go and beat up the laughing kettle.

he gives like 90k exp to each party member when defeated. I recommend you save before any laughing kettle attempt tho as he will party wipe you in like 3 rounds or less.

before that you can always just defeat the jokers of doom / master samurai / hatamotos / royal ladies / lords, etc, that are found as random encounters in the fifth floor. you can use the 1st floor's elevator to reach the fifth floor (and escape BACK to the 1st floor when low on hits) in probably less than 35 steps each way. if the fifth floor enemies are too strong then grind the fourth floor enemies: medusa / armor eaters / etc.

my point is that it's not worth wasting time grinding the bats in b1f... shit loot and shit exp. if you can beat the bats you can beat the enemies in the 2nd and 3rd floors, and if you can beat THOSE then you beat the enemies in the 4th floor... etc.

remember that loot is tied to the floor you're on. and sometimes a good weapon or a good piece of armor is better for a character's battle effectiveness than 5 levels could be.

re: Wizardry 5
Thanks for the tips aweigh.

Although if his alignment shifts from Good to Evil in-game you can change him to Ninja if all stats are 17+.
That was my initial thought about that, gonna change him to ninja ASAP.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Anyway,

l-352669.jpg

Wayward Son

This character roll reminds me of the time the Mage in my DnD group rolled five crits in a row.
Edit: BTW, this isn't definite, but if a new Wizardry type RPG came out, would you guys get it? I'm learning how to program and was thinking of making something like that.

Alchemist

Arcane
Edit: BTW, this isn't definite, but if a new Wizardry type RPG came out, would you guys get it? I'm learning how to program and was thinking of making something like that.
Yes! You should totally do it. "Carry on my Wayward Son... there'll be peace when you are done" :lol:
Seriously though, the world always needs more Wizardry type games.

janior

Arcane
Vatnik
Robert Woodhead said in interview with Matt Barton that he is not interested in creating games anymore. Who could possibly start such project? What you guys think?

Alchemist

Arcane
Robert Woodhead said in interview with Matt Barton that he is not interested in creating games anymore. Who could possibly start such project? What you guys think?
I don't think Wayward Son meant an official Wizardry game - the license is owned by a Japanese company now.
Just a new game that has a similar style of gameplay.

There is always Grimoire of course.. coming out next Friday, I hear.

Wayward Son

The world needs more anime free Wizardries.
Don't worry. It's gonna be anime free.
I don't think Wayward Son meant an official Wizardry game - the license is owned by a Japanese company now.
Just a new game that has a similar style of gameplay.
Exactly! Wire-frame dungeons, same type of character rolling, similar class mechanics, etc.
If all goes well, production should start aroun middle of May, maybe even end of April.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
wizardry empire 1, 2, 3 and the dark spire all offer wireframe dungeons and no anime.

you're welcome.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
pictured below wizardry empire 3
wizardy3_03_thumb.jpg

in english only wiz-empire 2 so far, but we are hard at work translating 1 and 3. here is a picture of wiz-empire 1 (windows PC) currently being translated:

Screenshot%202016-04-03%2004.05.48_zpsueopdoln.png~original

the wireframe mode is optional.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
you can find wizardry empire 2 in the jrpg forum, or just click here: https://firedrop.com/e362b9a95a05adf0

that one features a translation patch already integrated; dated feb. 8th 2016 (it's still being worked on but 90% of the game is translated)

you can find wizardry empire 1 in the jrpg forum as well but although the links can be found there it's still very much untranslated. i've yet to hack in the english translation for the npc dialog or the dungeon event text. you can find a link to the game in its current state, which is about 40% translated, in the forum.

we haven't started work on wiz-empire 3 yet as unlike 1 and 2, which are Windows PC (and no longer sold); wiz-empire 3 was released for ps2/psp only. i've been having a hell of a damn time trying to crack open the .BIN file that contains the game data...

wiz-empire 2 features some of the best dungeon design you'll get to play! it is very good.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
oh and of course, the dark spire is on nintendo ds. TDS was developed by the same studio that made the ps1 remakes of wizardry 1-5 and and also did the wizardry 4 "remix" version. they're currently cranking out Wizardry titles for a japanese mobile device; the series is called "Wizardry Traditional" and it is in wire-frame w/ colors.

unfortunately The dark spire apparently did not sell well enough in the West for them to be able to continue making Wizardry-clones in english.

of course i'm only listing these 4 games because you stated a desire for wire-frame mode. if you don't need it to be in wire-frame there are tons of Wiz-clones. start with elminage: gothic on windows pc (which coincidentally features a wire-frame dungeon as bonus content).

Wayward Son

oh and of course, the dark spire is on nintendo ds. TDS was developed by the same studio that made the ps1 remakes of wizardry 1-5 and and also did the wizardry 4 "remix" version. they're currently cranking out Wizardry titles for a japanese mobile device; the series is called "Wizardry Traditional" and it is in wire-frame w/ colors.

unfortunately The dark spire apparently did not sell well enough in the West for them to be able to continue making Wizardry-clones in english.

of course i'm only listing these 4 games because you stated a desire for wire-frame mode. if you don't need it to be in wire-frame there are tons of Wiz-clones. start with elminage: gothic on windows pc (which coincidentally features a wire-frame dungeon as bonus content).
I'm not necessarily going for wire-frame. I'll check out elminage: gothic. Thanks

Thx, so far my 10 lvl Fairy Ninja + Dracon Valkyrie have serious trouble with hitting him :/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom