Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
God, all this talk of party builds. It reminds me of my high magic wiz 5 party build on snes emulator. Iirc, it went something like:
Dwarf Fighter named Hammer
Hobbit Thief named Elseweyr
Hobbit Cleric named Argonia
Elf Wizard(Bishop) named Hirock
Elf Mage named Summur
Elf Mage named Breton
Edit: That party was OP

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
That's why i like to make smaller parties recently. Like 3-4 guys without any in game companions. Also had a good time soloing rogue, bishop and everyone's favorite, fairy ninja.

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
I too enjoy smaller parties the most lately. Hybrid classes really shine that way, they get to use all their skills often enough that they can actually fulfill their multiple roles without power training via repeated casting etc.
I think that's the most generally misunderstood point of W8. Your char level doesn't mean shit, unless you have been actually using your key skills throughout the game. Using skills is the most effective way to raise them, the points on level up can only help you with adjusting your build and compensating for slower-to-increase skills. The only skill that solely depends on level-up points is engineering. If you gained 20 levels instantly at the beginning, you'd be just facing enemies tuned for a party that has been training and improving their skills along with level-ups for 20 levels.

My advice for facing the dreaded Arnika Road: don't level up beyond what you need to defeat Gregor. The encounters on Arnika Road get too hard only if you let your char levels outgrow their skills. The highest chance of that is in the beginning.

janior

Arcane
Patron
I've spent almost 2 hours rolling characters in Wizardry V and didn't get any higher roll than 21 :lol:. Will i be fine with such team or should i roll more? My party would be like:
fighter human
fighter human
elf samurai
hobbit thief
human mage
human cleric

so pretty standard i think(i don't know wiz5 meta though).

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
IDK, like I said, my best party in ANY wiz game was wiz 5 high magic. Yours looks alright to me though. Tbh though, I'm not the one to ask.
EDIT: You should stick with it if you get a 21 bonus on a roll ( or a 21 in a stat) you should keep it, unless you're going for specific values

TigerKnee

Arcane
Your char level doesn't mean shit, unless you have been actually using your key skills throughout the game.
I find that it actually has a huge effect on spellcasting success, but given that Level Scaling is a mechanic in the game, all that really matters is between Pure Casters and Hybrids that start their spellcasting 4 levels behind the Pures.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I've spent almost 2 hours rolling characters in Wizardry V and didn't get any higher roll than 21 :lol:. Will i be fine with such team or should i roll more? My party would be like:
fighter human
fighter human
elf samurai
hobbit thief
human mage
human cleric

Looks good. Same classes as my own party, but different races. I has Elf Mage and Gnome Cleric.
Main disadvantage is lack of Bishop and thus no ID'ing of items in the field. But Bishops are too weak to be out in the field IMO. So you can roll a Bishop and leave him in town where he can ID low level items your party brings back.

Also, remember that the light spell will not reveal all secret doors in Wiz 5, so the only way to find some of them is to check manually.

janior

Arcane
Patron
fighter human
fighter human
elf samurai
hobbit thief
human mage
human cleric

Looks good. Same classes as my own party, but different races. I has Elf Mage and Gnome Cleric.
Main disadvantage is lack of Bishop and thus no ID'ing of items in the field. But Bishops are too weak to be out in the field IMO. So you can roll a Bishop and leave him in town where he can ID low level items your party brings back.

Also, remember that the light spell will not reveal all secret doors in Wiz 5, so the only way to find some of them is to check manually.
Only bishop can identify items? Well that's different but it's the only efficient way.

Thanks, gonna remember about that one also i've read that some secretes in the game are level-caped meaning you can't reveal them until you reach certain lvl. Is that true?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Thanks, gonna remember about that one also i've read that some secretes in the game are level-caped meaning you can't reveal them until you reach certain lvl. Is that true?

Hmm...that was news to me. Sounds doubtful to me, since the game is area scaled and not level scaled.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
fighter human
fighter human
elf samurai
hobbit thief
human mage
human cleric

Correction: looking back at the posts I made in this thread while playing Wiz 5 I see I did indeed have a Bishop in the party (replacing one of the Fighters), but I regretted it since the third character in the party was too vulnerable.
If I should play again I'd use the same classes as you.

janior

Arcane
Patron
fighter human
fighter human
elf samurai
hobbit thief
human mage
human cleric

Correction: looking back at the posts I made in this thread while playing Wiz 5 I see I did indeed have a Bishop in the party (replacing one of the Fighters), but I regretted it since the third character in the party was too vulnerable.
If I should play again I'd use the same classes as you.

Lvling up works same as in wizardry 6? I'll have no problem to make class changes later in the game? I've heard that multi-classing is much bigger deal than in the wiz 6

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Class changing is much harder in Wiz 1-3 and 5, than in 6-7.
Getting a Ninja is almost impossible, since you need 17 in all stats, and stats can go down when leveling up, at least in 1-3 (I can't recall if 5 did away with that). But there's an ultra rare item that can convert a Thief of Evil alignment into a Ninja, though. Getting a Lord is easier (lower stat requirements, and more common class change item).
But you only class change since the prestige classes are better, not to get skill points like in 6 and 7.

janior

Arcane
Patron
I'm kind of worried that one cleric is not enough healing but i don't what i could possibly change, probably the best option is to roll a lord a replace one of the figthers?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, getting a Lord should be a priority. But starting as one will require lots and lots of rerolling; it's more realistic to change one of your Fighters eventually.

janior

Arcane
Patron
yea, i really don't like to roll characters in wiz6 i also didn't bother to wait for perfect rolls and did just fine(only took me some time roll my elf monk), but i feel like wiz5 won't fuck around... i'll keep rolling.

janior

Arcane
Patron
Alright i played for few hours everything was going wall and bam - my mage died. Alright that's not too bad i guess, resurrected him at the temple and he fucking changed his character on evil and i can't add him to my party what the fuck i'm so mad. I guess that might have happend cause status didn't say "dead" but "doomed" im not sure though.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
If you attack friendly parties your good characters' alignment can shift, and same if evil characters behave too nicely.
Can't remember seeing the "doomed" status, though.

janior

Arcane
Patron
I'm sure i fighted only random monsters but... well whatever i'll just rolled new mage. Pretty weird mechanic imo.

janior

Arcane
Patron
The good monsters are those that give you a choice to fight or leave i guess. So if one of my "good" characters turns evil while fighting monsters in the maze he still can stay in "good" party but if he dies i'm unable to re-add him. That's what must have happend to my mage lol.

janior

Arcane
Patron
Apparently spinning around and killing random fucking monsters can also change characters alignment, my party is tottally cucked now :argh:. I'm so fucking mad.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Apparently spinning around and killing random fucking monsters can also change characters alignment,

As I said, only if the monsters are friendly.
Good characters attacking friendly monsters can turn Evil.
Evil characters letting them go, can turn Good.
No change for Neutrals.

janior

Arcane
Patron
I farmed near the altar which was spawning some bats everytime i gave the wrong answer to the question, so they were also counting as good...

janior

Arcane
Patron
BEST DAY OF MY LIFE LOL
qpwvs8t.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom