Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

TigerKnee

Arcane
I was under the impression that no one had really sat down and extracted the hard numbers from Wiz8, sadly.

The only thing that is really obviously is that Strength gives like 2% damage bonus per point.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I was under the impression that no one had really sat down and extracted the hard numbers from Wiz8, sadly.

The only thing that is really obviously is that Strength gives like 2% damage bonus per point.
I noticed my 60 Strength character had a +10% boost while 50 Strength Ninja had 0% boost. 80 Strength Fighter has a 60% boost.

I still don't understand how Close Combat skill works in connection with Axe skill. If my Fighter uses Axe and attacks do both of these skills give a bonus to hit with it (and bonus to damage or something)? How do stats that govern these skills contribute to this than?
I had less difficulty understanding how Blackguards 1 work (actually that system is much cooler than what I seen from Wiz 8 for now)

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I think someone did and the only place i vaguely remember discussing it in depth was now defunct Ironworks section.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Those "exact numbers" were probably more or less scientific theories, like people arguing about what influences critical hits and how is the trigger chance for lighting strike calculated. There's a lot of unknown stuff about this game, but it's not like the rules are intrusively obscure compared to some other crpgs.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Btw, found the old W8 official forum downloadable here. Would be nice to look into it, but i can't for life understand how do you browse it. My browsers simply try to connect to the old IGN board that it was merged with instead of going to the correct place on the hard disk. :|

Is Wiz7/Gold doable:
...without class changing or at least with minimal use of it?
...without savescummfest during every level up?
... without all of these uberloot? (I imported my party few times with different results and even deleted save file from Bane in order to not being tempted to try another importing and finally ended up with Excalibur, Muramase, Cat'O Nine Tails, Fairy Cap, and few Rod of Sprites but w/o Maenad's Lance and most of valuable armor parts)

If yes, then on which difficulty setting it's doable?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Is Wiz7/Gold doable:

Of course.

Sure.

... without all of these uberloot? (I imported my party few times with different results and even deleted save file from Bane in order to not being tempted to try another importing and finally ended up with Excalibur, Muramase, Cat'O Nine Tails, Fairy Cap, and few Rod of Sprites but w/o Maenad's Lance and most of valuable armor parts)

Depends on how you define "uberloot" and where you draw the line, but I'd say it's possible without the 5 or so most powerful weapons to win the game.

I mean da most powerful stuff like Muramase equivalent for every other class, if there's now need that ok. I've heard game it's extremely difficult even on medium and can last even a few hundred of hours, I was just afraid it meant few hundred hours of grinding for skill points and reloading like madman.

I've read somewhere that party have to compete with other factions and if you're too late, they can steal crucial items, that means game over / stuck in a limbo or smt?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Wizardry 7 can be a very long game and a few of the puzzles aren't easy to figure out (like using a specific item in a specific spot, based on some obscure hint somewhere).

The competing parties can find crucial items before you do, but you can track them down and either pay them for it, steal it from them or attack them.

Wax

Novice
I'm starting a new Wizardry 8 game (it's been a while) and I'll be using two bishops. Each one will be focusing on two schools from the four available, alchemy, divinity, psionics, and wizardry. What I'm wondering is what is the best combination for the two? Any recommendations?

DraQ

Arcane
I'm starting a new Wizardry 8 game (it's been a while) and I'll be using two bishops. Each one will be focusing on two schools from the four available, alchemy, divinity, psionics, and wizardry. What I'm wondering is what is the best combination for the two? Any recommendations?
There is a tradeoff.

On one side you have efficiency and versatility, on the other reliability and ability to spam spells.

If you want the former you should aim for maximum overlap in terms of spells available to multiple schools and elemental realms used by single bishop. If you want the latter you should duplicate your multi-school spells when possible.

The former will ensure you will make the best use of spell books and picks letting you learn as many available spells as possible as soon as possible and it will ensure the most efficient use of skill points and training by focusing on select elemental realms.
The latter will stop you from being caught with your pants down when your only caster capable of casting something absolutely crucial (like Soul Shield) bites the dirt or gets indisposed and will allow you to spam particularly useful ATM spells twice (this includes stuff like having two elementals active).

The things get further complicated by overlap not being uniform across spellbooks so you might have to decide which spells do you want to duplicate and which you do not.

Priests are mostly divine magic and water, psionics are mostly mental and air, with a good helping of fire, alchemists are mostly elements, so are mages, but the mages have some crucial divine spells and both have summon elemental and knock-knock.

You should probably go here and then to spellcasting index -> individual magic schools to see the elemental realm composition and also check for spell overlaps while you are there.
Or use the manual but it lacks the nice color-coding which really helps visualization.

Guyz are Gorrrors in WizGold worth effort? I'm a bit tired of class changing that I've done in Wiz6 but thanks to it, whole party already has some kirijutsu/ninjutsu points to develop, is it sufficent to kill those things? And plz give some crucial advise before transfering party to Wiz8.

mondblut

Arcane
Is Wiz7/Gold doable:

Yes, but where's the fun in it?

If yes, then on which difficulty setting it's doable?

Hard provides more xp. Endure, in enduring grow strong.

Guyz are Gorrrors in WizGold worth effort? I'm a bit tired of class changing that I've done in Wiz6 but thanks to it, whole party already has some kirijutsu/ninjutsu points to develop, is it sufficent to kill those things?

Some of them. Beast of 1000 eyes is likely out of your league, since you seem not to want to play it right. They are worth lots of xp, and each has a chest with random sometimes good loot.

Ondoval

Novice
Wiz 7 one of the most underrated game of all time.
But doing it now without the "fast" rest party is booooooooooooring.

Wiz 8, the most underrated game of all time.

Finished an iron man hard game in wiz8 recently (import from 6-7) with a tons of fun.
Iron man made this game very replayable.
And verrrrry time consuming.

Zetor

Arcane
I'm kinda tempted to do an ironman run of W8 by importing my vintage ~1994-era W7 group. Any particular parts of the game where shit can bug out and cause a total party wipe or a "you're screwed" situation (aside from the Umpani obstacle course)?

Climbing the rope in sea caves. If you're not properly positioned under the hole in the ceiling when you interact with the rope, your party might want to try climbing through rock. I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere, so it's probably not something you have to be extra careful about, but I managed to wipe my (non-ironman) party that way first time I got there.

Ondoval

Novice
Well , beware of the elevator in the trynie tree , some say it can bug and kill you (never happen to me).
Install the last version of the game, or toxic cloud will kill you.
Don' t run in deep water in combat mode....it can kill you (loose a great game near Bayjin...)
And beware when you enter the rift, you can imprison yourself (Yeah happen to me....in a great game...)
Don't be crushed by stones near the T'Rang Scout (Yeah yeah...happen to me in a great game, with 2 Warrior, 1 alch, 1 Mage, 1 Priest, 1 psy and i was the king of the world...)

I played a lot in iron man, with very very very few issues.

DraQ

Arcane
I generally keep a save backup to restore in case game does something stupid - I never had a geometry TPK although I know of several hotspots, but I had, for example, game launching the party several m into the air and into the T'Rang guards in front of that Mindblast Rod room while sprinting around below Marten's Bluff, so I had no other choice but

34c5a5d89699a28f2486c23c5b381486b62553f3eba9ebaccf36df6306494e00.jpg

and restore my scummed save.

It happens rarely, though, usually when TPK does occur, it's legit.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Wiz 7 question:
Any way to stop text from auto-scrolling? How the fuck am I supposed to take down notes if the messages you get when talking to NPCs automatically "scroll" over to a new text with me hitting any keys as far as I can tell? I can't write THAT fast

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Wiz 7 question:
Any way to stop text from auto-scrolling? How the fuck am I supposed to take down notes if the messages you get when talking to NPCs automatically "scroll" over to a new text with me hitting any keys as far as I can tell? I can't write THAT fast

DON'T play the Wizardry Gold version, the text scrolls by and there is nothing you can do about it.

Play the DOS version only.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom