Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

octavius

Arcane
Patron
How is a Faerie Ninja useless?
I just checked my victorious Wiz 6 party
Uh... considering the post mentioned "Arnika/Monastery/etc", I'm pretty sure it was meant to be a discussion of a Faerie Ninja's worth in Wizardry 8 and not 6.

They made some rather huge balance changes jumping from 7 to 8's system.

You said "worthless til Cane of Corpus", and I thought of Wiz 7. But I guess there's a second Cane in Wiz 8, then.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Yeah, back at the time I had to order from a different country. I guess it was pure luck it was even available physically. Fortunately it's on GOG now.

Rpgsaurus Rex

The issue is that I've wasted A LOT of points already, the thing of not knowing how to spend them, I guess. Other characters were affected too (*cough*Communication*cough*) but she really got the short end of the stick in comparison. I mean, I spent points on that skill that uses no weapon and it's not really paying off.

I'm temped to use a trainer to redistribute her stats because I really screwed her up.

EDIT. By the way, where can I buy crossbow bolts?
EDIT 2: Just realized I don't have to use bolts. Duh D:

It's fine. Wizardry 8 isn't a hard game, no need to min-max. Just leave her in the back row an let her do something from time to time. Later on you'll find some very strong ammunition vendor but it will be much, much later on anyhow. Ninjas as a class start lackluster and end lackluster unless you grind and/or use something which you may never find otherwise unless massively spoiled. Are there even in-game hints about it?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, back at the time I had to order from a different country. I guess it was pure luck it was even available physically. Fortunately it's on GOG now.

Yeah, Wiz 8 probably the games I'm most happy to see on GOG, along with ToEE.
Both are way down on my play list, though.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Alright, I finally finished Bane of the Cosmic Forge. Man, the difficulty really spiked in late game, I had several reloads and ragequits. Not exactly sure how I feel about that .. at the end of M&M you usually feel absolutely untouchable, I think I finished Lord Xeen within two rounds. Bane just bent me over and raped my shit right when I thought I mastered it. In hindsight, I have to agree with octavius about the multiclassing or rather its dangers. The only character I never actually multiclassed was considerably tougher and more resistant to most spells in the endgame. I guess it still makes sense to multiclass to get more spell points though.

I already tried the import into Wiz7 and all of my weapons carried over, which is good. Only now all my guys are completely naked. I read in some guides that its advisable to backtrack to Queequeck to get low tier gear but is that really necessary? Cause I really don't feel like doing that. As a matter of fact, I don't even know how I could do that. Can I just start without armor or will I get my ass handed to me in Wiz7?

About the ending..

I find it lulzy that after all the fucking effort to get to the Forge when you are finally in reach and try to grab it - a random dude shows up out of absolutely nowhere with no explanation whatsoever and is just like 'Nope, thats mine now.' CONGRATZ, SEE YOU IN 1991(tm)! What a fucking cockblocker, I really wanted that pen. Any of you remember how people reacted to the ending back in the day? Were they disappointed or rather excited for the sequel?

kmonster

Augur
You can just start without armor. You'll find some during the game. Grinding and progress might be a little slower in the beginning but armor isn't very important in the game anyway, especially the low level armor you can import. If it's challenging in the beginning it's because of the game, not because you didn't waste your time following spoilers.
It's also more fun when you find the stuff yourself in W7.

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Alright, I finally finished Bane of the Cosmic Forge.

Grats - Did the jiggling green boobs offend you as they did crpgaddict? Must have been almost unbearable to face such rampant sexism.
Man, the difficulty really spiked in late game, I had several reloads and ragequits. Not exactly sure how I feel about that .. at the end of M&M you usually feel absolutely untouchable, I think I finished Lord Xeen within two rounds. Bane just bent me over and raped my shit right when I thought I mastered it. In hindsight, I have to agree with octavius about the multiclassing or rather its dangers. The only character I never actually multiclassed was considerably tougher and more resistant to most spells in the endgame. I guess it still makes sense to multiclass to get more spell points though.

There are a number of reasons to Multi Class and also no reason at all. If a player knows they want to tansfer to VII then MC'g is beneficial. In wizardy it all really comes down to reloads and frustration. Up to each person how to approach that. After my 3rd or 4th playthrough I wanted to have a "perfect" party, etc etc. Even with a lot of upfront preparation things can go sideways.
I already tried the import into Wiz7 and all of my weapons carried over, which is good. Only now all my guys are completely naked. I read in some guides that its advisable to backtrack to Queequeck to get low tier gear but is that really necessary? Cause I really don't feel like doing that. As a matter of fact, I don't even know how I could do that. Can I just start without armor or will I get my ass handed to me in Wiz7?

Iirc you could just go back as far as Mai Lai and pick up some armor. Game just doesn't feel right if my team doesn't have leather chausses, helmets, etc.
Maybe you were rushing through the game and missed her?

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Was thinking to make another Wiz8 run and finally check out some mods. Could someone remind me which one's were worth trying and don't add any retarded content/fuck up balance?

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Alright, I finally finished Bane of the Cosmic Forge.

Grats - Did the jiggling green boobs offend you as they did crpgaddict? Must have been almost unbearable to face such rampant sexism.

Nah, I barely noticed it, I guess its cause I am not a prude (somehow it always seem to be the most prudish people who seem to be kinda obsessed with sex and depictions of sexuality, I wonder why that is. anyway, I think the Addict is still a pretty cool guy). I am not sure why forest dwelling magical creatures like Faeries or otherworldly Demon girls should wear a bra in the first place. Speaking of of which, while the overall presentation in the game was pretty ass (no music, just one texture the whole game), the enemy design was absolutely awesome. I particularly liked the Faeries, the Pharaos and the Skeleton Lords. Really great stuff.

Iirc you could just go back as far as Mai Lai and pick up some armor. Game just doesn't feel right if my team doesn't have leather chausses, helmets, etc.
Maybe you were rushing through the game and missed her?

No, I met Mai Lai. I still have some old leather stuff on some characters but not whole sets. I will just roll with it and see if I can get something in the nearest town. I am gonna take a break from Wizardry for a bit anyway, I hear Wiz7 is pretty huge and I want to approach it with a fresh mind.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Was thinking to make another Wiz8 run and finally check out some mods. Could someone remind me which one's were worth trying and don't add any retarded content/fuck up balance?
Our very own Kaucukovnik's Wizardry 8 Enhancements.
That's basically the only one fitting the criteria. Just about every other Wiz 8 mod adds a lot of its own stuff
Ok thx, will be trying this out.

I don't really object adding stuff in principle, though. Just not stupid stuff that makes things either too easy or too difficult or plain silly, so if there are mods that thread a fine line, while adding their own content, i'm interested.

tyranius

Novice
Can anyone fucking tell me how to get past the fucking Rapax Prince fight??

A million fucking enemies

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
AoE and insanity/pandemonium spells are your friends. Also summon a bunch of elementals from potions, which you should have plenty by now.
I thin there was also a possibility to avoid this fight entirely, but i guess it's too late if you're already there.

tyranius

Novice
Main problem is that I spend literally half an hour only to get my party wiped and start all over again. I'm using wiz8fast but there are so many enemies that turns take forever. I don't even feel like playing anymore. Maybe I'll put the game on easy and just get past this shitfest of a fight

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Isn't there a corner somewhere, where you can fallback, wait until they come and engage you? The open field is certain death.

tyranius

Novice
Isn't there a corner somewhere, where you can fallback, wait until they come and engage you? The open field is certain death.
I try but wherever I stop they just catch up and then swarm me. There isn't a place where I can deal with a few at a time. Once I get on the offensive I gotta get ready to deal with all of them.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Maybe your level isn't even high enough for Ascension Peak, because, when i get there my party is usually so powerful that i can fuck their shit up even in open field.

tyranius

Novice
Whole party is around level 20.

I just beat the fight. I crafted a shitload of healing and stamina potions and just outlasted the opponents. Feel kind of cheated that I didn't even get a single level up after killing that huge mob

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Well, Rapax are p. shit foes by this time. At least they should be, if you have leveled smartly. Though i haven't played a full party of 6 (let alone 8) for a long time. prefer smaller ones, which means i usually have lvl25> at AP.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
This mod is ok, but it makes the game freeze A LOT. The case when it freezes is, when you rest and then mobs show up to ambush you. Had to exit and reenter the game 5 times in last half an hour in Arnika, because combat would simply not process further, when savant drones/highwaymen would spawn in front of me.

I've been looking around a bit but I haven't found a good answer: What makes a piece of armour equippable or not? And are cloaks treated like any other piece or armour or are there additional limitations to it?
:/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom