Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Idiot n00b post because a brief search didn't turn up anything helpful and I'd rather risk being flamed than read through 152 pages:

Never played Wizardry before (right? But when they came out I was always too busy with other games to justify buying them and after that they kind of fell off my radar until recently). Is it worth starting with 6 and playing the whole trilogy? Or should I just jump right into 8?

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Idiot n00b post because a brief search didn't turn up anything helpful and I'd rather risk being flamed than read through 152 pages:

Never played Wizardry before (right? But when they came out I was always too busy with other games to justify buying them and after that they kind of fell off my radar until recently). Is it worth starting with 6 and playing the whole trilogy? Or should I just jump right into 8?

It is absolutely worth it. You will find several items you can use along the whole trilogy and it will even influence some story points. Besides they are all three extremely amazing games (imho Wiz 8 is the weakest due to the immense combat + level scaling but that's just me).

Ashenai

Learned
I think it definitely is worth it. Wizardry 6 and 7 are very good games. Carrying over your party is fun and changes things quite a bit. Also, you miss out on a lot of the story if you start with Wiz8.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Alright Gentlemen, I finally left the godforsaken mines behind and am now in the pyramid. My characters are roughly around level 10 and the Amazulus give good experience without being too hard, so I guess it is a good place to multiclass. I am however a bit at loss how I should best proceed with my party. My setup so far:

Dwarf Fighter
Rawulf Valkyrie
Felpurr Samurai (MCd from Bard)
Faerie Ninja (MCd from Alchemist)
Rawulf Priest
Elf Mage

I guess I can leave the Valkyrie as is but the priest, mage - and particularly the fighter - kinda seem like a waste. My initial impulse was to turn the Priest into a Lord and the Mage into a Bishop but I really don't know what to do with my fighter. How about turning him into a Monk? Or should I perhaps just leave him as he is?

Any suggestions what would be a good idea?

Keep in mind that I would like to import the party into Wizardry 7 later.

kmonster

Augur
For importing into W7 keeping the Mage and Priest pure will yield the better spell regeneration rate. Switching the fighter to monk is advantageous (better spell regeneration in W7, access to psionic spells and critical hits), just be aware that monks need a lot of training to become powerful, always hide in combat and always fight unarmed to get the skills up, I'd raise theosophy to 54 at level ups (for psionic spells up to level 4) and put the points into kirijitsu afterwards for critical hits.

The import mechanics are so messed up that creating a new party from scratch is the more honest and better balanced choice.

Leitz

Learned

Why is it always the late trilogy?

All these guys who tell you to play the whole 6-8 trilogy when you've never played any Wizardry are either fools or liars. 6 has nothing to do with 7 and 8, besides the bad ending. The items you can take over to the next game are like one per Char and make minor difference. There is almost no reason to play them in order, only if you like to burn a whole year just playing these.
My tip: Play 6 and 8 in any order, dodge the overrated piece of shit that is 7 (it's like 8 in bad). You could even play through 6 and use a trainer to import your characters into 8.
Protip: Don't play them at all and start with Wiz 1 instead, a real classic!

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Also graphics. Even some codex members are graphics whores, like that dragon guy
That shouldn't be a problem. 1-3 had proper graphical remakes and so did 4-5.

Only 1-3 had a full English patch for the SNES though.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

All these guys who tell you to play the whole 6-8 trilogy when you've never played any Wizardry are either fools or liars. 6 has nothing to do with 7 and 8, besides the bad ending. The items you can take over to the next game are like one per Char and make minor difference. There is almost no reason to play them in order, only if you like to burn a whole year just playing these.
My tip: Play 6 and 8 in any order, dodge the overrated piece of shit that is 7 (it's like 8 in bad). You could even play through 6 and use a trainer to import your characters into 8.

yeah and also don't listen to this guy

kmonster

Augur

Wiz 1-3 and 5 are something like:
"Did I do enough repetitive grinding to be strong enough to enter the next level ? If not then my party will be slaughtered there forcing me to create a new party from scratch (the game autosaves the death party so no reload possible) and do all the grinding from the start again, this time even longer so the party might survive the next level ?"

Can be a very addictive time waster but not not everyone's cup of tea.

Wiz 6 is a huge step forward. You can reload and don't have to grind up from scratch if your party dies and have more than just one dungeon with a few levels down and it is not as slooooow as W7 or W8.

Leitz

Learned

Wiz 1-3 and 5 are something like:
"Did I do enough repetitive grinding to be strong enough to enter the next level ? If not then my party will be slaughtered there forcing me to create a new party from scratch (the game autosaves the death party so no reload possible) and do all the grinding from the start again, this time even longer so the party might survive the next level ?"

Can be a very addictive time waster but not not everyone's cup of tea.

Wiz 6 is a huge step forward. You can reload and don't have to grind up from scratch if your party dies and have more than just one dungeon with a few levels down and it is not as slooooow as W7 or W8.
The whole Wizardry series is THE big grind and time waster series. Still it's true what you're saying about Wiz 6, it's my favourite too.

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
For those interested in the Japanese PC Wizardry games, currently working on Wizardry Chronicle and Wizardry Empires I & II! For those interested in Wizardry Gaiden I,II, III & Wizardry Empire for Game Boy in English, you can click on the link in my signature below.

Proud to announce that Wizardry Chronicles is making great progress and we may have a release ready real soon! :D

Wizardry Chronicles ---> http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...dows-pc-translation-project-to-english.97755/

Wizardry Empires II ----> http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ess-for-windows-pc-translation-project.96776/

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Alright Gentlemen, I finally left the godforsaken mines behind and am now in the pyramid. My characters are roughly around level 10 and the Amazulus give good experience without being too hard, so I guess it is a good place to multiclass. I am however a bit at loss how I should best proceed with my party. My setup so far:

Dwarf Fighter
Rawulf Valkyrie
Felpurr Samurai (MCd from Bard)
Faerie Ninja (MCd from Alchemist)
Rawulf Priest
Elf Mage

I guess I can leave the Valkyrie as is but the priest, mage - and particularly the fighter - kinda seem like a waste. My initial impulse was to turn the Priest into a Lord and the Mage into a Bishop but I really don't know what to do with my fighter. How about turning him into a Monk? Or should I perhaps just leave him as he is?

Any suggestions what would be a good idea?

Keep in mind that I would like to import the party into Wizardry 7 later.
Character profession changes can be a serious PITA or a source of Autistic Fun!
All I am sure is that you have 1 female. So based on that:

Ninja: no change, hope for Cane
Mage --->Samurai (one Sam. can stay in back with reach weapon)[Muramasa?]
Fighter ---> Lord maybe, Valk, monk [Lance] {hope you have more than one female!}
Valkyrie --->Lord maybe, or monk[A. Sword for a Lord]
Priest---> Bard--->Monk?

Any combination can finish the game. I see you read something about classes because you have a Faerie Ninja but you didn't read enough because you have a Dwarf Fighter :/ Welcome to frustration Wizardry style. This is a game where preparation is useful for having a satisfying play through and continuation in to W7.

Next play through you might read this guide and save yourself some grief.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/564807-wizardry-vi-bane-of-the-cosmic-forge/faqs/63361

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, the Wizardry character system is pretty deep and somewhat intimidating for a newcomer. I have read some shit before I started, just to get a general idea, but I am not playing by a guide or obsessing over optimal builds. Mainly I just didn't want to screw myself over and get into some horrible situation by hopelessly gimping myself. After playing for a few hours and getting my own playing experience it didn't really seem too complicated. In fact, I think most parties are probably viable and even multiclassing is not that hard once you got the hang of the system. I am browsing through the whole thread at the moment and one of the reoccuring questions is always "When should I multiclass?" and it is something I have worried about before I started playing too. In actual practice, I find there is a pretty organic point in the game where your characters just don't really advance anymore and you think 'man, I could switch this guy'. I guess my point is, from the outside (eg. browsing all the indepth discussion in these threads) these games systems can seem pretty oblique and overtly complex. But really, while the system is pretty deep and warrants discussion about optimization, most of the things you could break your head over before playing come pretty much automatically to you once you actually start playing it. Your head may hurt after reading through a guide about optimal character builds but once you actually play for a while it is pretty clear what multiclassing does, why its good, when to do it and what classes have good synergies etc. .

It is actually a pretty great system in the way that it allows for some very deep and complex considerations if you feel like it, while you could just as well keep it simple, roll a decent party and stick with it all the way through (if you just want to blob and all that systems stuff isn't your thing). It is also great for just creating fun shit - I have a Faerie Ninja in my party. A Faerie. Ninja. I mean, come on!

After I posted my question above I went ahead and turned the Priest into a Bishop (his stats were not eligible for a Lord and I did not want to wait). I relcutantly turned the Mage into a Bishop too because I wanted to keep a dedicated caster and could use the additional healing spells. People say Bishops suck for some reason (probably because they advance so slow) but I find it helpful that they advance in both Mage and Priest spells. I will keep my Fighter for a little while longer and will probably turn him into a Monk, mainly because I just like the idea of having a Dwarven monk (so no particular systemic reason, just fluff).

Is it possible to import only part of your characters into the next game and fill the empty slots with new ones? Likewise, is it possible to import only some of your chars into Wizardy 8 later and then add a few new ones? Or do I have to take them all if I import?

Oh, and:

Valkyrie --->Lord maybe, or monk[A. Sword for a Lord]

What would be the point of turning the Valkyrie into a Lord though, aren't they essentially the same?

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Considering the increased encounter frequency, HP bloat and (for a long time) lack of exciting loot in Wiz 7 I'd say good weapons are a must to import.

kain611

Augur
Looking to actually finally finish Wizardy 6/7/and 8. What races/classes/skills should I use to get the most enjoyment out of the games. I want to use the same party all the way through all three games. Hoping to get started tonight. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Leitz

Learned
Looking to actually finally finish Wizardy 6/7/and 8. What races/classes/skills should I use to get the most enjoyment out of the games. I want to use the same party all the way through all three games. Hoping to get started tonight. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
The fun is finding out for yourself. Anyway, it takes probably 10-15 hours to get started with Wiz 6. The really important thing is to roll enough bonus points so you later have the chance to change them into the classes ('professions') you like. Have fun sitting there wasting hours in re-rolls.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom