Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Luzur

Good Sir
Returned to Arnika road as full lvl 7 party (with Wheel key), was attacked by 17 higardi (75-80 hp each).

So if you unlucky road can be tough if you grind to lvl 7 in monastery (why would you, without grind you get around lvl 5 maybe lvl 6 max).

Arnika road should have been named "Derp Grind Road" instead.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Where can i get Giant sword and at what level (on expert) i can try to get there?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
So I'm playing now unpatched game with the following party:
Mook female Samurai
Male Dwarf Priest (will move to Lord)
Male Lizardman Rogue (Bloodlust Backstab! x3 attacks at level 9)
Female faerie psionic (obvious choice is obvious, always have one of these in my party)
Male Gnome alchemist (played an alchemist only once before. Want to do it again)
Male Felpur ranger (like rangers but never used this race before so we'll see.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Have you tried Oblivion? It's kinda the same as Wizardry bc of the first person view, but the gameplay and graphics are a lot better. You also have a lot more freedom to do anything you want around the world. Like you don't have to fight monsters in dungeons all the time.

Try it.

Thank you for advice.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
What monsters are immune to magic? Thinking about making full 6 bishop party for expert walkthough.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I wish someone remade the 6-7-8 in a modern engine with overall art direction closer to 7 and improved content density in the final part, but with all the mechanical improvements from 8 (including free movement and formations), party banter and then some.

Call it Wizardry Trilogy or something.
:d1p::takemymoney:

I like the step-based movement of 6 & 7.

Maybe somebody should redo W8 in a step-based engine.

:troll:

KoriTama I found this on GOG's Wizardry forum. Ikazuchi says trading and diplomacy are broken in Wiz 7 when using the mod.
Ikazuchi said:
I tested the automap mod for the Wiz 7 DOS version,
and in the beginning i was really positive about it.

(Played Wiz6 + Automap Mod before and it worked very well)

Now in Wiz 7 I am encountering a Problem.

When playing with Automap mod trading and diplomacy are broken.
(trading does not work at all and diplomacy makes the game "hang" i.e. the NPC gets some strange letters as response and i can not continue)

When loading the game with DOSBOX 0.74 w/o automap everything is fine.

Anybody experienced the same?
Any workaround found?

Unfortunately there was no update for the mod since september :(

Quick edit: Darn. I just saw that he was last active February 12.

Last edited by a moderator:

DraQ

Arcane
I wish someone remade the 6-7-8 in a modern engine with overall art direction closer to 7 and improved content density in the final part, but with all the mechanical improvements from 8 (including free movement and formations), party banter and then some.

Call it Wizardry Trilogy or something.
:d1p::takemymoney:

I like the step-based movement of 6 & 7.
We all have our deviations.

Problem is not with the mod per se, but with Wizardy 7 Gold.

Why would he be using Wizardry Gold in DOSBox? He'd need to install Windows or use something like HX DOS Extender. I thought of Gold when he mentioned the broken trade in diplomacy too.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Why would he be using Wizardry Gold in DOSBox? He'd need to install Windows or use something like HX DOS Extender. I thought of Gold when he mentioned the broken trade in diplomacy too.

I thought he said things worked when using DOSBox 0.74?
I dunno, the way it's written it's not entirely clear which versions he's referring to. Does he play the DOS version without using DOSBox?

I thought he said things worked when using DOSBox 0.74?
I dunno, the way it's written it's not entirely clear which versions he's referring to. Does he play the DOS version without using DOSBox?

I took the DOSBox 0.74 to mean that it works in vanilla DOSBox and not the automap modded one. The title is "Wizardry 7 (DOS) - Automap Mod bug (NPC interaction) ". The post is 2 1/2 months old. I never played the automap in Wiz 7 far enough to talk to npcs I didn't feel like playing so I didn't bother creating good characters.

Casual Hero

Augur
Still a little afraid of starting Wizardry, as I'm intimidated by the class changing and character creation. I did attempt 6 once, but didn't get far. It does really intrigue me though. At the moment I'll stick to Might and Magic.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Still a little afraid of starting Wizardry, as I'm intimidated by the class changing and character creation. I did attempt 6 once, but didn't get far. It does really intrigue me though. At the moment I'll stick to Might and Magic.

Try Wizardy 1.
It's the second easiest Wiz game (after Wiz 2), is very well balanced and has limited class changing. Unlike Wiz 6 and 7 you don't need to be an accountant to get the most out of it.
Graphics are extremely primitive, though.

Has anyone played the Wizardry 7 mod, Secrets of Alderan? There isn't any documentation included. It has been around for years; yet can't find any comments about it either.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Try Wizardy 1.
It's the second easiest Wiz game (after Wiz 2), is very well balanced and has limited class changing. Unlike Wiz 6 and 7 you don't need to be an accountant to get the most out of it.
Graphics are extremely primitive, though.
SNES / PSX versions take care of that too, though.

I have seen people say that mana regeneration is not linked to vitality in Wiz 7. Cosmic Forge has mana regeneration use a combination of vitality and piety. 28 total gets +1 mana regen. 34 total gets +2 mana regen. This basically forces the fairy mage to get 23 bonus points out of 26 in order to benefit from their racial mana regen bonus since they start with only 6 in vit and pie.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Are you guys perhaps aware of a source for custom made portraits for Wizardry 6 and 7? I only can find some for Wiz8. I know that portraits are probably not the priority for Wiz players but considering how legendary these games are I woud not have thought it so hard to find some.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I wouldn't know, I asked for Wiz6 and Wiz7 ones :).

The portraits in 6 and 7 are pretty cool too but there are very few of them, particularly if you have more than one of any race in your crew (only one Rawulf and only one Felpurr in Wiz6 for example). Pretty minor problem but if my Rawulf Valkyrie actually had a Rawulf portrait it would definitely help my .. uh ..

immersion.

Other than that, this game is fucking addictive once you wrapped your head around the character system. I picked Wiz6 for an experiment - mapping the game out per hand myself for the first time in my life. I always thought it would be too tedious but :obviously:' old-schoolfags always insisted that it was actually part of the fun back in the day. I wanted to see what it would be like to draw the map for yourself and guess what, they were right. Its really cool to have my own map and take my own notes and everytime I get stuck I can just take a look and see where I have not been yet or where closed doors are that I couldn't open yet. It feels much more like an adventure somehow.
Only time I got stuck so far was with the puzzle in the altar room and that was only cause I didn't even know it had buttons (cause I forgot to 'search' in the middle of the room.)

The difficulty is alright so far, I actually would have thought it would be harder. Even so, I nearly fucked myself over once by jumping into a pit and fighting a Giant Serpent. I won and saved immediatly after, several crew members died and I used up all my spell points cause I thought it must be a boss fight. Turns out it was a normal enemy and there was actually a second Giant Serpent in the fucking room. :negative: I barely survived and had to fight my way back all the way up with only two survivors, to the only healing well I have found so far, where I then had to use all my resurrection items to revive my party. I had to go to the healing well cause poisoned dead guys revive with the poison still active, which can be a bitch. Oh well.

That shit felt fucking epic.

Turns out that challenge and not-savescumming actually writes the best stories. I am really starting to :love:blobbers.. but I should not be too quick, I am still very much at the beginning of the game I feel, chars around Level 7. Time to multiclass for some of them soon I guess..

Last edited:

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Man, this shit is getting harder. Not the combat but simply finding my way around. The mountain area was bitch to map cause there are no reference points. You really gotta cast 'direction' and then slowly and carefully do it step by step. I guess thats not 'hard' but required much more effort and attention than before. After about an hour and a half I had a servicable map but ... nowhere to go? That seemed kinda pointless. I probably missed something but there didn't seem to be anything in that area at all, so I went into the mines hoping it would get a little easier.. and holy shit, all those fucking stairs! And when I thought it couldn't get more confusing I found areas which were completely dark.

So I picked the 'Wizard's Eye' spell on the next level up for my mage cause I thought it will help me navigating those dark areas, expecting something like M&M 'Wizard's Eye' but .. well. The effects of that spell are somewhat underwhelming. Is there any way to light up those areas?

Niektory

one of some
Patron
There's no way to light them up, you need to map them by taking a step and noting whether you bump into a wall or not. Don't worry, the dark areas aren't large.

You'll return to the mountain later, you can't access all of it at first.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom