Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

TigerKnee

Arcane
Wizardry 1 remake with Alchemist and Psionist as additional classes.

Someone get to work on that.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Approaching 20 hours+ now in Wiz 8

It was a very long time ago I played a bit of Wiz 6 and 7 so I feel I am coming to this series new and fresh.

Let's talk about the manual first. It is 71 pages. Each of those pages each contain two pages. Unlike other manuals where you have lots of pages containing nothing at all - this manual is choc a block with content. We therefore have about 130 pages of key, important information. That is simply amazing and gives a good indication how complex this game is. I have not read the manual, yet.

Treasure Chests - page 50. Just read that again. There are five pages talking and explain treasure chests (and lock picking). Who designed this game for goodness sake?

So last night, 20 hours in, I discovered you can inspect treasure chests before opening them. Your character then has an idea, from a list of known traps, what they are dealing with. Digging deeper, once traps are inspected a colour code shows how certain your character is about their diagnosis. Even deeper, we then also have magical options such as the "Knock Knock" spell. Even deeper, we finally have the option to Force the lock open.

Is it just me but isn't this hideously complicated?

I think I like it.

For the professional RPG lot - is there a game that is more complex on opening a damn, simple, mundane treasure chest?

Combat.

So I downloaded this mod that speeds the fisticuffs section a lot. I can't explain how the designers released the game in its original form where the combat must have been insanely slow. VERY S L O W. Combat is fascinating. I had assumed my mage faerie was at the back of my group in accordance to probably EVERY OTHER RPG I have ever played. Even in LoX you have a front row and back row. Last night I was fiddling about the party formation options and discovered something pretty amazing.

My tiny little weak faerie mage was in the MIDDLE of the formation. Yes folks, we have something I have not come across anywhere else. The weakest char in the middle not at the back.

All this is due to the fact combat is not conveniently in front of you, but the little shits SURROUND YOU. Mother suckers can circle your group and attack you from behind - and they do indeed try that all the time. None of this waiting for my turn. So, unless you are supremely confident of your abilities, or slightly arrogant and disrespectful of this piece of work called Wiz 8, you need to think about your environment all the time in combat. I got arrogant once and lost two of my party against a group of foes that should have been easy as pie.

Still, not sure how I feel about the combat. We obviously won't get my beloved 99 Barbarians, 99 Skeleton, 99 Zombies and 99 Ghouls all on one square. Wiz 8 combat is obviously superior to all that jazz but I do wonder if they sacrificed a bit for a more realistic model of combat. Judgement reserved.

Interaction

I don't like it. It's obvious why the industry went with voice overs and less text. Basically I just click on every key word and ask the NPC about it. It takes FOREVER. I need to read the manual. There must be a way of being able see what questions to ask whom. It would have been great if the Communication skill could help with that - but I think not.

In general I meet NPC A, click on an ever growing list of keywords and then click on another button to talk about it. The keyword list grows longer. I meet NPC B and repeat and rinse. I prefer the Morrowind system of chatting.

Okay - I read a bit of the manual. Apparently there is an option to reduce keywords to only KEYWORDS or something. Hopefully I can enable that in-game. You can also double click rather than click-move-mouse-click.

I still don't like it.

I went over to the town Arnika and fully explored there. Found a temple, airport, EVIL CASTLE, prison and some places to do shopping. I like the unusual combination of classical world of Elves and Dwarves mixed up with high tech techno babble computers and all that. Very different from other RPGs. I am finding it difficult to follow the storyline due to all the reams of text and because I never played Wiz 6 and 7 first, as advised by Codex.

Came across an Umpani war camp and joined their army and had to complete an obstacle course to move on a bit. They are a military race and look a bit like Rhinos - think Judoon from Dr Who. Not sure where to go next and travelling between places can be very slow due to the frequency and length of combat. However, I do think once you "Clear" and area travelling becomes less eventful.

So far so good. Not sure if I have the patience to continue that much further, however I have sort of got attached to my little party of misfits, which is part of the charm of party based RPG afterall.

Hardcore Gaming 101 finished the Wizardry series entries. New articles since last post are Japanese Franchise Outlook, Wizardry Online, Mobile Games and Other Media, and Interview with Robert Woodhead.

Wizardry Online said:
Players are then dropped inside the town of Illfalo, which is the only base of operations for a long, long time. It's later possible to get to the capital of the kingdom as well, but that requires a character level of 30, which is equivalent to several hundred hours of play.
The game launched rather miserably with only the four base classes, but the familiar prestige classes were introduced in early 2013. They only are accessible in the capital...

TigerKnee

Arcane
Paging Helly or any other interested parties.

Recently, I've come across scans of a Japanese "Wizardry 10th Anniversary" magazine published in 1991. It has interviews, merchandise lists, P&P adaptation talk, comics, artwork, "making of the OVA" and more

0M427x4.jpg

AkI3HHZ.jpg

A8WlWGd.jpg

M0dqWYy.jpg

JyJhtdh.jpg

The scans can be downloaded here:
https://mega.co.nz/#!FRJFgBBC!sqDxintlLYRBYCyyphge4GZFaFlSIQqrUPxdDl-nFpY

It's hundreds of pages and filled with text, but think of all the Kool Kodex Kreds we'll get if someone translated this, eh? Hint hint.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So, is it at all possible to kill Archdevils in Wiz 5?
On my second trip to Hades my party met one and couldn't even scratch it.

I finally found the Loon after having postponed the Jigsaw Bank area for as long as possible. Also found three Cards, Staff of Water and located the Lord of Spades, so I think I'm getting close to the end of this game.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
What the hell does this even mean?

Aznb8cn.png

And why does it stop if you have a Munke Wand?
EDIT: Duh! Monkey - Munke.
Does that mean that to pass the Howling Wind (gail) I need a Lark in a Cage (nightingale)? Seem to remember there was a puzzle in Bard's Tale where the answer was "gail" too....

Did Dewey Bradley smoke something like this when making Wiz 5?
qJzagTf.png

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
By hand. I needed three sheets for lvl 4.
Haven't mapped Hades much. Got the hell out of there when I found an exit (Malor does not work), and one encounter with an Archdevil convinced me that Hell is indeed a bad place to be.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So what are the three "Divine Aspects" in Wizardry 5?
The Ruby Warlock told me about "Time" and the Kettle told me about "Kingdom". But I seem to have missed the clue for the third one.
Can anyone give me a subtle hint?

EDIT: Never mind, I forgot I hadn't explored all of Hades yet. I guess the answer will be found there.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
And so, another game bugs out on me when I'm so close to winning.
I finally got all the Cards and did all four rituals to shut down all the Gates, but I can't access square 0,0 on level 8 where the Gatekeeper is imprisoned. Instead the party is pushed away by the Sorn of a bitch.
So I take the Teleporter back, but I can't re-activate any of the four elemental gates to lvl 8.
So I Malor back to the castle instead, figuring I can just do the whole ritual again, but this this time with no saving before the end. I think it was the saving that screwed up, but getting back to the castle should have reset levels 7 and 8.

:flamesaw:DW BRADLEY!!!
[picture my head spinning around]

EDIT: used a save right before closing the fourth and final gate, but same result: being pushed away from the end game.
I have a save game from before entering lvl 8 and closing any of the gates, but I'm not sure I can work up the enthusiasm to find that save game and play it.
The game really overstayed its welcome at the end. Big is not always beatuful. Wiz 1 was of perfect size, and of Bradley's games I think Wiz 6 had the tightest design. Wiz 7 dragged on at the end too.
Both Wiz 5 and especially 7 would have been better if the encounter frequency had been toned down.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You have some really bad luck, octavius.

I disagree with you about Wiz 7 vs 6, but it seems Bradley always wanted to make "epic" games, yeah, hence the scope of Wiz5.

Has anyone played through Wizardry 6 or 7 with the automap mod (works with W6 and W7 even though it says W7)? I stopped my W6 play through awhile back and never got back to it. I only did very minor testing on W7. It seemed to have worked very well in both games. Did anyone find any bugs or other issues that KoriTama could fix?

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Has anyone played through Wizardry 6 or 7 with the automap mod (works with W6 and W7 even though it says W7)? I stopped my W6 play through awhile back and never got back to it. I only did very minor testing on W7. It seemed to have worked very well in both games. Did anyone find any bugs or other issues that KoriTama could fix?

I haven't tried but thanks for reminding as I do want to give it a try. In theory it should work for the whole game, right?

DraQ

Arcane
I think we should split the megaturd, I mean megathread, into threads about individual sub-series.

Scared by games using wireframe graphics? :smug:
No, I just don't care about WF crawlers.

How about 6 and 7?
Backlog. I'll definitely try to play both at some point and at the very least complete 7.
They are not wireframe, though, 7 is even pleasing visually, and they form trilogy with 8.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom