Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The DS has some Elminage games, which is basically Wizardry without the license made by the same company who does the JP Wizardry games.

These Elminage games look kind of cool. Are any of them available in US versions?

Yeah, Elminage Original is on the PSP/Vita as a download only game. Its good but if you have a Vita I am liking Demon Gaze way more than Elminage. DG is the game I've been hoping for from the Etrian Odyssey series since #2 (and 7th Dragon)

Nope, I don't have a Vita. I did pick up a 3DS XL for the decent library of RPGs (plus some old franchises I liked such as Zelda, Mario).

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I used to daydream that someone would revive the Wizardry series here in the west or we got the translated games from japan but that seems pretty dead...
Nowadays I daydream Grimoire gets released and its sheer incline creates a franchise with multiple releases...1hat can I say? I love blobbers and this was my favorite series along with M&M

Cromwell

Arcane
I would like to try wizardry 8 and I have never played any of them before, are there any things I should really know about the game before I start? things like "dont get class x" or "install mod y" anything which would make me rage if I find a#out about it after hours of playtime.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Wiz 8 Enhancements, which you can find right here on the forum is pretty good.

Bishops and Ninjas are the hardest to build, but not weak power-level wise at all (in fact, Bishops are the strongest casters in the game if very grindy). Well, Ninja's kind of lacking IMO. Avoid if newbie.

If you don't know what you're doing, make sure you have a Bard in the party. They're very good in the early game.

That's about it. Just play and explore on your own.

DraQ

Arcane
I would like to try wizardry 8 and I have never played any of them before, are there any things I should really know about the game before I start? things like "dont get class x" or "install mod y" anything which would make me rage if I find a#out about it after hours of playtime.
Only mod you need: Wiz8Fast
Basically this.

As a rule of thumb first playthrough of nearly any game should be unmodded, unless the game needs some critical fixes that aren't provided by official patches.

Wiz8Fast isn't really a mod as much as it's an external utility for tweaking animation speed beyond what's allowed by menu sliders. It doesn't change how the game itself works or what's in it.

bloodlover

Arcane

Arm yourself with a lot of patience when hitting Arnika Road. It's really a pain for people that play it for the 1st time.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
May I give you a little suggestion?
RUN

Run to the Arnika. Go right road/south. After that game still have some hard moments. Have fun

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Is there a mod for Wiz8 that speeds up the monsters' attacking animations (particularly projectiles)? The last time I visited Ascension Peak I had to spend a minute each turn watching the bizarre flying snakes ejaculating at my party which got tiresome after a while, and Wiz8fast can't solve this problem at all.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher

Cadmus

Arcane

I played it the same as you a few months ago and I don't think there was anything special to avoid. Maybe don't spread your points to thin and try to have some utility spells covered. And be patient. And make notes of everything everywhere ever, both in the map and on a paper, because for me, a new alien world with hard to remember names and shit journal was really confusing.

Arm yourself with a lot of patience when hitting Arnika Road. It's really a pain for people that play it for the 1st time.

I absolutely disagree. I hit the dreaded road at the point in the game when I was finally getting the hang of fighting and was enjoying it and it provided some new enemies and challenges and I don't remember if I had already lowered the difficulty to easy at that point or not, but it wasn't long AT ALL. It absolutely didn't stand out from the rest of the game in terms of tedium/difficulty. Rapax rift on the other hand...

DraQ

Arcane
Meh, the main problem with that road is when player can't absorb the lessons about safe resting spots and inventory use the road provides. And sometimes running the fuck away (because, seriously, it's not like Wiz8 ever has a shortage of combat, you don't need to soak it all in).

You basically need to 'ratchet' yourself using as many resting spots as you can possibly find, to avoid getting pushed back when you need to recuperate and new enemies spawn/wander around while you rest.
Fail that lesson and the Arnika Road will be a nightmare.

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
Wizardry I. Should i switch to prestige classes? Should I switch at all? My party:

Screenshot-25_zps81f391a6.png

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
iZerw Ninjas are pretty great for an evil party like yours. Their critical hit rates are awesome, esp. for tougher enemies. Personally I'd definitely have one in my evil party.

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
iZerw Ninjas are pretty great for an evil party like yours. Their critical hit rates are awesome, esp. for tougher enemies. Personally I'd definitely have one in my evil party.
My thief is a pussy. Not gonna happen :cry:
Screenshot-27_zpsa13fca6b.png

But I can make a priest from one of my fighters, i get poisoned and paralyzed quite often. And if I had a good party (I can change their alignments with a hex editor, but it's kind of cheating) what would you suggest?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oh my god, that's terrible :D

Iirc the best levels to switch your thief to ninja are somewhere around lvl 12-13, but with your stats... yeah. I guess you could up their attributes a bit with a hex editor, just don't overdo it ;)

On the other hand, you can do okay without prestige classes, too. Here's the ending party from my LP (though the SNES version is easier, so yeah):

09wiz839.png

treborSux

Arcane
If you're just starting Wizardry I would play the Apple II version personally. It's prettier and the original platform for Wizardry. I heard the DOS version lowers your stats a lot more often when you level up which can get annoying.

I bought Wizardry 8 from Gog some time ago and have been playing it slowly and sporadically since. Never played any of the series before. Overall it's a good game (except for the 3d graphics), but what I specifically like is how they managed to get good party banter for a player generated party. I'm bit of a larper so pure stat sheet characters would quickly see me losing interest.

Although losing interest might happen anyways without any specific reason... From reading the posts it seems that I've at least managed to pass one hurdle by getting to Arnika. 'Tactics' on the last part of the road were something like back to a corner and play bagpipes until everything is dead, then run to next corner and repeat.

Here's my party of deviantart heroes who actually fit quite well aesthetics wise with the NPC party members. Was bit worried about that when I went for custom portraits.

7ZfDzPD.jpg

Baxander

Augur
My thief is a pussy. Not gonna happen :cry:
Screenshot-27_zpsa13fca6b.png

But I can make a priest from one of my fighters, i get poisoned and paralyzed quite often. And if I had a good party (I can change their alignments with a hex editor, but it's kind of cheating) what would you suggest?

Oh man....you have just brought on waves of nostalgia. I miss this game so damn much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom