Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Actually the idea of changing bard to rogue after maxing music and getting the level cap for all necessary instruments is really interesting. I will have to try it one day. Bard's class skill is Communication, right? That's pretty sucky unfortunately, but yeah, they do level up quickly.

Johannes

Arcane
Is there any way to speed up the game other than the wiz8fast.exe which affects movement speed? The combat animations still take ages, making otherwise simple fights into something scary because of the time waste.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Is there any way to speed up the game other than the wiz8fast.exe which affects movement speed? The combat animations still take ages, making otherwise simple fights into something scary because of the time waste.
I never really got that complaint, stop exaggerating and work on building a party that kills enemies quickly (it's fun) and it will all be fine. Use freezing and KO spells and items, develop critical hits, use haste for extra attacks. Though if you never got far in Wiz8 and are complaining at the initial part I guess the chance of ragequitting when encountering hordes of Rapax is pretty high:lol:

Johannes

Arcane
I'm not exaggerating anything. A combat round with a decent amount of opponents will always take a minute to execute at least, and when it's the same shit you already did many times over there's nothing exciting in watching that. No matter how fast you kill your opponent most of the combat will consist of watching the boring animations. It's comparable to the unskippable awesum animations you have in some FF games...

That the encounter design is totally repetitive and that you'll encounter enemies literally everywhere does not help the matter, either. In oldschool blobbers this was ok since combat was 5x faster than here.

I think I'll still be finishing this, there's a lot of good sides to it too (level 10-11 now). Maybe just have to work on making my party such that I can go to continuous combat after the first round without taking losses, then do something else while combat resolves itself.

Snufkin

Augur
Bards are must have for someone who plays for the first time. They start with instrument that gives sleep spell that makes monastery and arnika road much much easier.

DraQ

Arcane
I'm not exaggerating anything. A combat round with a decent amount of opponents will always take a minute to execute at least, and when it's the same shit you already did many times over there's nothing exciting in watching that. No matter how fast you kill your opponent most of the combat will consist of watching the boring animations. It's comparable to the unskippable awesum animations you have in some FF games...

That the encounter design is totally repetitive and that you'll encounter enemies literally everywhere does not help the matter, either. In oldschool blobbers this was ok since combat was 5x faster than here.

I think I'll still be finishing this, there's a lot of good sides to it too (level 10-11 now). Maybe just have to work on making my party such that I can go to continuous combat after the first round without taking losses, then do something else while combat resolves itself.
Try ironman.
You'll have more pressing matters on your head than "baaw! turns too long!".
:smug:

Johannes

Arcane

Try ironman.
You'll have more pressing matters on your head than "baaw! turns too long!".
:smug:
Yeah like endlessly grinding for skills in no-risk situations, just in case.

Ironman is only good for games which can be finished in an evening, like roguelikes. Of course this isn't just the lack of animations, they tend to have slicker UIs than Wiz8 too.

Btw, the dummies in the Umpani training course, when you're given the rocket launcher, are really sweet. Equip your wannabe marksmen (the worse their skills upon starting the better) with crappiest weapons and ammo you can, then put them shooting on the dummies. They'll mostly miss and do pisspoor damage, leave the game on continous turns and check in after awhile if they've depleted their ammo and equip more (don't stop combat). Do this until the dummies are dead or you just get fed up with it.
If you only want to train a single dude, do bring lots of ammo. My Lord ran out of musket bullets before the targets were dead, now if I return to train they'll go down faster than if I'd done it in single session.

Johannes

Arcane
But actually the slowness of the game does encourage some Ironman-esque behaviour - you really don't want to redo a fight where you lost people, rather pay the price of resurrecting them than waste time redoing it.

Project: Eternity
For what its worth, using Chameleon and sprinting will allow you to avoid a lot of the filler fights in the more open areas of the game. Saved me a lot of time on Arnika-Trynton Road.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Hey, perhaps I should try going for a full 6-8 Wizardry playthrough!

*2 minutes later*

7C21P.png

Yeah.... maybe later...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It is a BLAST <3. But man, you will need to set a LONG time aside to do it.
Yeah, it's interesting to see the DECLINE changes in Wiz 6-7-8...

Wiz 6 is like what I've seen Bee LPing previous Wizardies, start game, welcome to the dungeon, hope you read the manual to know what's going on, have tons of paper sheets to map this multi-layered insanity and don't mind dying and reloading a lot... oh, and that pool is poisonous.
Wiz 7 starts with a little (unskipable) intro, then throws you in a forest with multiple paths, it's up to you to figure where you'll go, between fighting lv 1 blobs, being put asleep by flowers or getting insta-raped by wizards.
Wiz 8 has a intro when you boot the game, then another cutscene when you start, which throws you in a simple & easy auto-maped dungeon with some optional harder fights and a very linear path until you get to town.

As you said, immersing deeply on then must be a blast, but it's really hard for me to set that time aside nowadays... :(

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
I tried playing starting from Wizardry VI but I'm not sure what happened.
I couldn't hit shit and I couldn't be hit by enemies, I encountered 3 rats and after 4 minutes of misses my Dracon hit a rat for a whopping 3 damage.
I'm sure I did it wrong, tho.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
No, I just think that the file I had was wrong or something, I can play M&M just fine, but they actually hit something.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Level 1 AD&D characters can never hit for shit.
Just remenber playing BG 1 or IWD 1... the dialog box was simply MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS on the first 2 lvs... except for badass archers, that would "one shot/one kill" pretty much everything. :lol:

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
So...you're saying it's normal?
Then, I'll try again.
It just seemed very weird, especially since I played Wiz 8 and didn't see so much missing.
..the things you learn...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom