Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware The Witcher Tabletop RPG

Andhaira

Arcane
Bv3IVgH.jpg

So... kind of necromancy I guess, but you guys seems liike the people we are looking for.

Almost a year ago me and my pals teamed together in the effort of translating the Witcher RPG into English. Let's get it straight - our English grammar is atrocious. So we require at least a single person with enough dedication to work as proof-reader. And here comes the problem - we tried to use 4chan's /tg/, which was apparently starved for The Witcher, but as always in such situations, there was a lot of enthusiasm as long as there was no work or dedication involved. When we finally put the draft translation of first 90 pages, we've got a total of two replies - both simply asking if they project is still going on.
No proof-reading, no help, no nothing.

So we abandoned the project, translating only basic rules and how combat is solved, without touching magic, the chapter for GM or the rest of the book, which is full of lore about the game's universe. Not to mention monster compedium, where finding suitable names for certain creatures will be alone an awful task.

BUT since you are here and I'm an expert necromancer, let's pretend there is still some interest in the project. We can put out the draft up here, with the original Polish book, someone will proof-read it and we will get motivation to work further on the translation. Or we will just get enough motivation to finish the translation or at least all the rules, so the rought draft will be floating in the void of the Internet, waiting for people interested in it.

So... here are the files, with the updated translation (since last time we tried, we skipped few fillers like example characters and their backstories): https://www.mediafire.com/folder/4yp0nryi0o7na/Witcher_-_A_Game_of_Imagination
The chapter about magic will be translated right after it, our average pace was 6 pages per day, while there are 35 pages to cover, so with favourable conditions we should be done by next weekend. If there will be any replies, we will continue with rest of the book. If no replies, well, the very rought translation of all basic rules will be in the net, so it's still a win... I think.

The hopes are high, the work is awaiting. The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field... or something. It definitely sounds better in Polish than in the KJB version.

Updates on this?

Andhaira

Arcane
The Witcher Cover, Art, Info & Q&A Announced!
by
AngusA

1. Read more about:
  2. Other Games,
  3. Previews
Wednesday, 18th July, 2018 02:45 PM
If you enjoy the daily news and articles from EN World, please consider contributing to our Patreon!
The Witcher RolePlaying Game, developed by mother and son design team Lisa and Cody Pondsmith, is due to debut at Gen Con on 2nd August. R. Talsorian have given us a look at the cover, some interior art and a little bit of extra info about the game.

attachment.php

The Witcher RPG, based upon the popular series of novels and computer game franchise of the same name, is finally making an appearance in two weeks’ time after three years in development. Written and developed by Lisa and Cody Pondsmith, the game is using R. Talsorians signature Fuzion game system.

The book, which will be 360 pages long, full color, and retail at $50.00, features four playable races : The Humans, Elves, dwarves, and the Witchers, and offer players a choice of 9 Classes.

attachment.php

Bards: Charismatic entertainers who can befriend anyone, inculcate themselves into societies and worm their way into their opponent’s minds.

Craftsmen: Talented artisans who are skilled not only in crafting weapons and armor, but also craft alchemical concoctions and can make augmentations to weapons on the battlefield.

Criminal: Smooth operators who can crack any safe, take a man’s life with no witnesses and rally gangs around themselves.

Doctor: Calculating physicians who are trained in field surgery, allowing them to treat wounds with double the efficiency, or cause grevious wounds with their anatomical knowledge.

attachment.php

Mage: Scheming politicians and manipulators, removed from power and now using their often earth shaking power to escape persecution and get revenge

Mercenary: Grizzled warriors with ages of combat experience who can calculate their opponent’s moves, take down targets from extreme range and unleash devastating attacks.

Merchant: Canny salesmen who know the power of coin. They can use their knowledge of product to find vulnerabilities in armor and track down cheap suppliers. When they need be they can acquire favors and allies to break the competition.

Priest: Men and women of the Gods who use ancient blood rituals to commune with nature, heal the sick, and injure or hunt down heathens and burn them with holy fire.

Witcher: Restricted to those with the proper mutations, Witchers are consummate monster hunters who dabble in mutagenic potions, simple field magic and incredibly deadly swordplay.
attachment.php

If you’re interested in finding out more about the game Cody Pondsmith, lead developer of the game, will be joining Dan Davenport in a live question and answer session on the #randomworlds IRC channel at 7.30pm central (8.30pm eastern/5.30pm Pacific) on Wednesday 25th July.

To attend the Q&A, visitors will need to first access the #randomworlds IRC channel and follow the on screen instructions.

A log of the session will be posted to Dan Davenport’s blog, The Hardboiled Gumshoe’s Office, shortly after the session ends.

attachment.php

Additional information about The Witcher Tabletop Roleplaying Game can be found on the R. Talsorian website.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?5430-The-Witcher-Cover-Art-Info-Q-A-Announced!

Lookin gud. Hope magic system for mages is sexy, I want to replicate what that mage did with the shield in the intro to Assassin of Kangz (though he got killed)

Lookin gud. Hope magic system for mages is sexy, I want to replicate what that mage did with the shield in the intro to Assassin of Kangz (though he got killed)
I hope they won't use the Interlock system. I love Cyberpunk 2020, but that system sucked. Shadowrun's is better for the most part (albeit vastly inferior in regards to its setting, with all the magic and new age bullshit, and all the world outside kwanzania being a collection of stereotypes, and the parts about explosive damage).

Andhaira

Arcane
It's shit.
K1j58em.jpg

No its not, at least doesn't seem so on a read through. It has fewer options than say Pathfinder or many other Fantasy RPGs, for instance no real feat or feat equivalents. But it has lifepaths, history life paths, multiple classes with their own abiitiy trees (which are somewhat bare bones but hey) and a nice number of spells for mages and priests. Witchers get their magic signs, alchemy and mutagens.

Combat seems to be quite gritty and brutal.

No its not, at least doesn't seem so on a read through. It has fewer options than say Pathfinder or many other Fantasy RPGs, for instance no real feat or feat equivalents. But it has lifepaths, history life paths, multiple classes with their own abiitiy trees (which are somewhat bare bones but hey) and a nice number of spells for mages and priests. Witchers get their magic signs, alchemy and mutagens.

So, does it use the Interlock system? If so, which version? The way you describe it, it looks like a fantasy adaptation of Cyberpunk 2020, which had all of those things.

Andhaira

Arcane

So, does it use the Interlock system? If so, which version? The way you describe it, it looks like a fantasy adaptation of Cyberpunk 2020, which had all of those things.

I don't know anything about Cyberpunk 2020 but from the thread over on rpg.net (yes I loathe this site too but oh well) yes, it is a fantasy adaptation of that game with some changes like a focus on melee combat and spells. Also has elements of the Fuzion system which powered Artesia (which I actually have the hardback ordered all the way from Kwa back int he day but never even got around to fully reading)

The art is somewhat sparse but good enough, seems accurate for the Witcher world. I am not an expert on TWitcher though, having only played a bit of The Witcher II and never got around to 3 because my laptop can't handle it (can barely run TWII) I like the idea of the Witcher though, and the world seems gritty and dark yet also medieval enough to have some fun with.

Silva

Arcane
So, Fantasy RPG: the Fantastic Fantasy?

(Now based on a Fantasy Videogame!)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom