Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Witcher sold more than one million copies

Monolith

Prophet
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher, The

There's this <a href="http://www.thewitcher.com/community/en/news/745.html">press release</a> over at <a href="http://www.thewitcher.com">TheWitcher.com</a> we didn't get, proclaiming that The Witcher sold more than a million copies.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Warsaw, Poland – October 30 – All the ghouls, vampires and wenches in the world couldn’t stop the white-haired Geralt from conquering the world! CD Projekt RED is proud to announce that The Witcher, the epic RPG that puts players in the morally lenient boots of the aforementioned anti-hero, has sold more than a million copies to real, live people since its release twelve months ago. Scientific research has proven that those sales numbers are quite good for a debut game based on a relatively unfamiliar IP from an unknown studio on a “dead” platform.
<br>
<br>
The news comes just weeks after the release of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, which was developed based on fan feedback to further improve the game that was named PC RPG of the Year by IGN, GameSpy, PC Gamer, Play and many more. The studio spent close to a year improving various facets of the game to deliver the ultimate role-playing game, then released the update for free to existing fans and loaded the retail package with extra value to encourage retail sales. As always, it seems that the customer is always right, as the Enhanced Edition is getting higher review scores than the original across the globe.
<br>
<br>
“We created The Witcher with the intent of becoming an acclaimed and successful development studio that always made games for its fans; we spent more than $11 million developing The Witcher and the Enhanced Edition, and it sure is nice to make some of that money back!” said Adam Kicinski, CEO of CD Projekt RED. “The success of The Witcher has ensured that we’ll be able to make the games we want – and the games that fans want – for the foreseeable future, and the amazing response we had from the gaming community to the Enhanced Edition really reinforced that we’re on the right track with our development philosophy. We really couldn’t have achieved this sort of success without the support of our amazing fans.”
<br>
<br>
“This is really just the beginning for us,” said Michal Kicinski, CEO of CD Projekt, the parent company of CD Projekt RED. “There are a lot more places to explore in the world of The Witcher and there’s obviously a huge audience out there that would still love to see the game on consoles… we’re PC developers first and foremost, but you never know! We’ve already unveiled our DRM-free classic-games distribution site at GOG.com, and we intend to build that site aggressively in the coming months. We’re also rather close to breaking our silence about the multi-platform project underway at Metropolis Software, in which we recently acquired a majority stake. Needless to say, we’re very excited about the future and we think gamers will be, too!”</blockquote>
<br>
So much about PC gaming being dead AKA PC games not selling.
<br>
<br>
Anyway, being also The Witcher's anniversary and all, they released a video today, containing very short cut-scenes and in-game footage of future projects - right after the self-masturbatory hype. You can find it on <a href="http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42116.html">Gametrailers</a>.
<br>
<br>

Last edited by a moderator:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
It's what I called the hype machine which TW most certianly had. And, sadly, I fell for it. :cry:

WalterKinde

Scholar
Yep like i said i would buy the Enhanced version and i did unfortunately i couldn't bring myself to pay for the uncensored version just too damn expensive to see some pixelated titties.
And i haven't been able to get the patches to make the censored north american version uncensored to work.
But all in all a good game TW was the only reason i upgraded my pc.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Umbragen said:
"self-masturbatory"?
“This is really just the beginning for us,” said Michal Kicinski, CEO of CD Projekt, the parent company of CD Projekt RED. “There are a lot more places to explore in the world of The Witcher and there’s obviously a huge audience out there that would still love to see the game on consoles… we’re PC developers first and foremost, but you never know! We’ve already unveiled our DRM-free classic-games distribution site at GOG.com, and we intend to build that site aggressively in the coming months. We’re also rather close to breaking our silence about the multi-platform project underway at Metropolis Software, in which we recently acquired a majority stake. Needless to say, we’re very excited about the future and we think gamers will be, too!”
Translation:
"First the Gaming Industry... THEN THE WORLD!

Deleted member 7219

From those tiny snippets, looks like there's going to be a Witcher 2 and some kind of sci-fi FPS.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
WhiskeyWolf said:
Umbragen said:
"self-masturbatory"?
“This is really just the beginning for us,” said Michal Kicinski, CEO of CD Projekt, the parent company of CD Projekt RED. “There are a lot more places to explore in the world of The Witcher and there’s obviously a huge audience out there that would still love to see the game on consoles… we’re PC developers first and foremost, but you never know! We’ve already unveiled our DRM-free classic-games distribution site at GOG.com, and we intend to build that site aggressively in the coming months. We’re also rather close to breaking our silence about the multi-platform project underway at Metropolis Software, in which we recently acquired a majority stake. Needless to say, we’re very excited about the future and we think gamers will be, too!”
Translation:
"First the Gaming Industry... THEN THE WORLD!
I thought that Umbragen implied there was something pleonastic about supplying the word "masturbatory" with the prefix "self". I could be wrong, of course.

Monolith

Prophet
Elwro said:
I thought that Umbragen implied there was something pleonastic about supplying the word "masturbatory" with the prefix "self". I could be wrong, of course.
Quite possible I used it wrongly. Understood the prefix "self" as an indicator as to over what said person masturbates. See self-blame.

DraQ

Arcane
CD Projekt RED is proud to announce that The Witcher, the epic RPG that puts players in the morally lenient boots of the aforementioned anti-hero, has sold more than a million copies to real, live people since its release twelve months ago. Scientific research has proven that those sales numbers are quite good for a debut game based on a relatively unfamiliar IP from an unknown studio on a “dead” platform.
:incline:
:salute:
self-masturbatory
Redundant redundancy is redundant.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Monolith said:
Scientific research has proven that those sales numbers are quite good for a debut game based on a relatively unfamiliar IP from an unknown studio on a “dead” platform.

Love this bit, gives me a strong impression that they had more than a few naysayers along the way that they're giving the V's to.

Good for them.

DefJam101

Arcane
Volourn said:
It's what I called the hype machine which TW most certianly had. And, sadly, I fell for it. :cry:

If you like Mass Effect why not like TW? They are basically the same game just with different settings.

DemonKing

Arcane
DefJam101 said:
If you like Mass Effect why not like TW? They are basically the same game just with different settings.

Ummm...you must have played different versions than me because apart from the fact they are both CRPGs I can't think of much similar...they both have crappy inventory systems perhaps (haven't played Witcher Enhanced yet though...)

denizsi

Arcane
we spent more than $11 million developing The Witcher

I know this is more or less what most AAA titles cost nowadays, but still, especially considering it's debut from a Polish dev.. $11 Million sounds like a such a crazy amount of money.

Oh, the title They looks like such a shitty FPS, btw. I hope it doesn't blow on CDP's hands.

DefJam101

Arcane
DemonKing said:
DefJam101 said:

Ummm...you must have played different versions than me because apart from the fact they are both CRPGs I can't think of much similar...they both have crappy inventory systems perhaps (haven't played Witcher Enhanced yet though...)

They are both Adventure games with some CRPG elements, both have relatively linear storylines, both have fetch quests and general running from area -> area to form a decent chunk of the gameplay, both have fully voiced dialog, both have horrifically out of place sex scenes, both have ARPG combat systems.

The Witcher is much better than Mass Effect IMHO, but they are the same type of game, trying to do the same things.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Mass effect and the witcher are alike because they are both third person shooters in a fictional environment were you can actually have sex. Halo almost fits in the same category.

DemonKing

Arcane
DefJam101 said:
They are both Adventure games with some CRPG elements, both have relatively linear storylines, both have fetch quests and general running from area -> area to form a decent chunk of the gameplay, both have fully voiced dialog, both have horrifically out of place sex scenes, both have ARPG combat systems.

The sidequests were very different in both though - apart from a few quests at the main space station in ME, most of the sidequests were pretty much cookie-cutter - "go to planet, drive Mako, visit generic complex". The Witcher's were a bit more interesting than that.

Also the Witcher is a single-character whereas in ME you had a group of three. The combat was also quite different.

The romance/sex options were different too - The Witcher basically had a "Sex minigame" whereas in ME we had the patented Bio "Romance options" where you get to romance and (eventually) screw some of the more annoying party members over the course of the game.

I still can't see much similarity myself - even the engines are different.

DefJam101

Arcane
I dunno then, I just got an 'adventure game with leet see and see' vibe from both of them. Except The Witcher was a good game and Mass Effect was a lulzy game.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
DefJam101 said:

The Witcher is much better than Mass Effect IMHO, but they are the same type of game, trying to do the same things.

I know you do agree that TW is a much better game so I'm not going to lynch you, but this still baffles me. The very tone of the writing and setting differs greatly, the handling of C&C is vastly dissimilar, and most of the things you described are a bunch of generic traits shared by very very many games. By that definition, PS:T is identical to Mass Effect because some people think it's also an adventure game with RPG elements, it has a relatively linear storyline, it has fetch quests and requires you to run from area to area. Bloodlines is also identical to ME because it has ARPG combat (perhaps even more so than ME), it has fully voiced dialogue, its storyline is pretty linear, it... you get the idea.

ecliptic

Liturgist
I bought EE yesterday. Went to install it today. Couldn't run. Tells me to insert the disc. Apparently it the copy protection (TAGES) won't let it run if you have alcohol or daemon tools installed. Fuck that. I'm not uninstalling utilities for any game's copy protection. So I went ahead and cracked it.

If the game weren't so fun I'd go ahead and return it to where I bought it from as a protest. Douche-bags. Fuck Atari.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom