Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher author Andrzej Sapkowski's disdain of games

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=1014

The Witcher universe creator diminishes the game franchise's success

Writer Andrzej Sapkowski, the creator of The Witcher universe, has recently been rather vocal when presenting his views on the game series' influence on his literary work and how he thinks the sales of his books might have suffered as a result.

Before sinking into any detail, a bit of background information is needed. You might have heard of The Witcher Saga. Nope, it’s not the game trilogy, but rather a fantasy series comprising two collections of short stories and five novels, which actually gave birth to Geralt, Ciri, and all the stories surrounding the duo. The books were written by a Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski between 1992 and 1999, and, almost a decade later, were adapted by CD Projekt RED into what soon became one of the most recognizable RPG series in recent history (with the GOTY version of the latest title on its way). These are the facts, and now here’s the thing – Mr. Sapkowski seems not to have his facts straight.

600350815.jpg

Andrzej Sapkowski is the mastermind behind the Witcher (literary) universe. (photo by Alessio Sbarbaro via Wikimedia Commons)

During Polcon 2016 (a yearly Polish science-fiction convention,) Mr. Sapkowski expressed his utter discontentment caused by the fact that more and more people tend to dip into the books after having played the game first, suggesting that readers’ belief that the books were based on the game series might have discouraged some of them from buying the books.Which makes us believe that Mr. Sapkowski has no clue of what the game series actually is. Moreover, he consistently denies any connection between the novels’ rising popularity – and thus increased sales – among the Western audience and the games’ (which he considers non-canonic and irrelevant when compared with his literary work) success. Mr. Sapkowski even stated that the books had been translated to English before The Witcher’s initial release, which is false. Not only this, his perception of players enjoying the game franchise seems rather unflattering:

“I’ve never played the game. But I can ask [about its content.] I know a couple of people who played them. Actually, only a few of them, for I prefer to surround myself with intelligent folks.”

600350815.png

The Witcher game series sold more than 20 million copies.

Mr. Sapkowski also called out Adrian Chmielarz, stating that The Vanishing of Ethan Carter’s creator – when he was still working on The Witcher game as a Metropolis Software developer back in 1997 – has not (contrary to CD Projekt RED) handed him a copy of the game. And while that’s true, it’s only because the Metropolis’ Witcher title never made it out of the development stage. However, even after taking that into consideration, Mr. Sapkowski was far from withheld, saying, “[If they didn’t want to give me a copy,] they could at least kiss my ass – which they hadn’t done, either”. But considering how the writer thinks of gamers, would there even be a point in dishing out the game to him?

The controversy surrounding Mr. Sapkowski’s bold statements is far from reaching its conclusion, and, frankly, will probably never do so.

giphy.gif

Mr. Sapkowski said:
I know a couple of people who played [The Twitcher games] . Actually, only a few of them, for I prefer to surround myself with intelligent folks.
Yeah, I don't like popamole either, but you're not exactly Umberto Eco m8, and Fantasy Fiction is the Special Olympics of literature.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I love his witcher books and they are much better than anything CDP wrote, but I would not take very seriously anything Sapkowski has said in interviews. The guy is a grumpy old drunkard that doesn't get, and doesn't want to get, video games and has a hurt ego because the games have sold much more than his books.

He may also be butthurt that the game story eventually delved into all the plotlines of his books and actually became a sequel that was basically concluded in TW3. The butthurt is somewhat understandable, because from the contract he has made the game story is considered canon and he can't continue his own story if he wanted (and I don't think he'd ever acknowledge the games and write a sequel to them). But let's be frank. His last books weren't that good, so IMO it's a good thing that the games have cock-blocked any witcher sequels from him. It would be better if anything new from him goes back to the old lone-wanderer witcher tales, which were the best anyway.

I haven't yet read his newest addition "Season of Storms", which is set between the short stories in the The Last Wish. Is it good? What's the potatolander's opinion?

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I bet he got his fat paycheck after the Witcher games, so I would really shut the fuck if I were him.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I haven't yet read his newest addition "Season of Storms", which is set between the short stories in the The Last Wish. Is it good? What's the potatolander's opinion?
It's meh. He's forcing shit humour in it and the writing isn't good. It literally has fart jokes, can you even get any lower? I liked his previous books, but the newest one was a huge disappointment.

Sapkowski is also a complete idiot, it's a true miracle he actually did write decent things in the past. He has a huge ego and insults not only games and gamers but also his core audience, comes late and drunk to meet his fans on an organized event etc. To him, everyone is a dumb dipshit and he's the only genius in the world. It's better to enjoy Witcher without thinking about its author, because he's a raving lunatic.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Though I thank him for ultimately giving us Geralt of Rivia (just as he should probably be thanking Michael Moorcock for giving us - and him -Elric of Melniboné) and The Witcher series, he sounds like a total twat-waffle. I wouldn't read his books even under dire threat and forced to with the complete works of Anne McCaffrey held to my head!

Paul_cz

Arcane
The problem with articles like this is that they do not convey the fact that Sapkowski is a sarcastic asshole who says rude stuff all the time for shits and giggles, and I doubt he actually means lot of it.

And the fucking morons who refuse to read his awesome books (not just Witcher, but Hussite saga as well) because of one article..are fucking morons I guess.

That said, it is obvious he doesn't care about games, never played them, never will. And yet somehow his first Witcher book written after a decade since the last, was a prequel, fully combatible with games. Huh.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Though I thank him for ultimately giving us Geralt of Rivia (just as he should probably be thanking Michael Moorcock for giving us - and him -Elric of Melniboné)

Erm what does Elven Emperor of Melnibone, a physical weakling who has to survive on stolen soul supplied by Stormbringer, and mightiest sorcerer o the Young Kingdoms have to do wi an orphaned, itinerant mutated Human monster slayer who weilds steel and silver swords and can cast a few tricks?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Though I thank him for ultimately giving us Geralt of Rivia (just as he should probably be thanking Michael Moorcock for giving us - and him -Elric of Melniboné)

Erm what does Elven Emperor of Melnibone, a physical weakling who has to survive on stolen soul supplied by Stormbringer, and mightiest sorcerer o the Young Kingdoms have to do wi an orphaned, itinerant mutated Human monster slayer who weilds steel and silver swords and can cast a few tricks?

A tragic lone wolf warrior archetype, much older than Witcher or Elric. Afaik Tolkien's Turin was cut from a similar cloth too.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Thats a bit o a stretch, may as well say Cuchulain ripped off Gilgamesh.

Moorcock made Elric as an anti Conan after years o workin on Conan stories as I recall, an Geralt is fairly much always in company o his mates, whereas Elric is alone most o time, even Moonglum is usually Elsewhere.

Oh is it White Wolf nickname?

Now Turin were a fucking blatant rip off o Sigurd Fafnirsbane.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

Sapkowski is butthurt about the fact that The Witcher games have been praised by their writing, storytelling and worldbuilding, while the writing in his own novels is actually quite bad.

We have Sapkowski to thank for setting up the world in the first place, but The Witcher 3 was great because of CDProjekt and what they had done in the previous two games. Sapkowski's opinion is irrelevant.

He should shut up and enjoy the royalties he must be getting from this franchise. Surely The Witcher 3 would have given him enough money to buy a mansion and a Lamborghini.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The homeboys who designed, modeled and animated the babes in Witcher 3 have contributed more to the series than this old fart.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Tolkien and Herbert had the exact same attitude, but of course didn't mind the cash flowing in.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Writers are notoriously temperamental about any adaptations of their work that aren't completely canon to the universes they create, especially second-rate authors.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I bet he got his fat paycheck after the Witcher games, so I would really shut the fuck if I were him.

From what I heard, it's the opposite. He sold the rights for a flat fee to - then - unknown developer. Now they are worth over $1 billion, and he isn't getting shit from it.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Can't tell who's more butthurt. Random potato writer who only got international fame due to video game adaptation OR gamurs and their constant need to have hobby validated.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom