Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

mondblut

Arcane
Depends.. If the studio actually made this content after the game went Gold

Are you aware it takes 2 to 4 weeks for a "gold" to become a release on shelves? Meanwhile, putting a DLC online takes less than a day. 4 weeks means a lot of work can be done. Doubly so when that's the last four weeks :smug: Most of the shit that goes into "day 1 dlc" is shit that's no longer about to be finished around the gold deadline, but might just make it in a couple of weeks more. Hence, a launch day online content. If it can also be sold for moar jewgoldz, well, all the better, the joke's on the suckers.

Next you'll say the CK2 DLCs are being invented on the fly strictly beginning on a day a previous DLC is uploaded on steam, not planned ahead for months, with all kinds of preliminary milestones being done in advance. "Okay guys, we have just finished testing our Peasant Baronies DLC while all our artists and all coders and designers save for one were twiddling their thumbs spitting into ceiling for a month. Let's now gather and brainstorm the next one, now that Peasant Baronies is finally released, we are morally permitted to work on the next thing which otherwise we would have been obliged to include into Peasant Baronies. Testers, proceed to the thumb-twiddling zone, we're taking next month prototyping". Yeah, right.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh this is great. I was waiting to play this game on release, it's already in my GoG library, and now I find out I will need to wait at least four months after it's out to have the complete experience. Nice of them to warn in advance.
Well given the first two Witcher games if you expected this to be finished on release, you're not much of a learning animal.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
16 dlcs, two per week. So they make sure their game is talked about at least 8 weeks after release. It's a smart PR move, and as long as they don't make me pay I don't mind too much.

Perkel

Arcane
Will there be DurexLube cross promotion DLC ?

BUY DUREXLUBE GET EXCLUSIVE RAPE LUBE IN GAME !!!

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
This is where I stopped reading because you are so wrong it hurts.
First you say the way they handled DLC was bad, then you say you loved the Quests and items they added but complain they didn't make the game more challenging.
No, I actually didn't say any of that. I did like the quest DLCs, although I would've preferred to have them in the main game in the first place. Troll Trouble was one of the better side quests of Chapter 1, and it was Day 0 DLC or something as far as I remember. Just unnecessary. As for the items, I think that added items can be nice if done properly, but not in the way TW2 handled it because it fucked up the item progression. The aforementioned troll quest gave you armor that was better than the supposedly pretty epic Kayran armor, for instance.

As for the thing about challenge, I don't really get the idea of being rewarded with OP equipment because you pre-ordered the game or something, which was the case with TW2. It just cheapens the feeling of actually beating the game instead of making it more enjoyable. That's really all there is to that argument.

Except they added a DARK Mode to the game which was extremely difficult (Comparatively) and you HAD to play the dark mode game setting to get access to the really powerful item sets.
Game Difficulty went up, new items were given with unique set bonuses and appearances, your argument sucks..
The Dark Mode comes with the Enhanced Edition (I think), which I don't really consider a DLC per se. Not that it really matters because you completely misinterpreted everything I said, but whatever.

So yeah,

:nocountryforshitposters:

indeed.

I'll say that it was nice that you could turn all the DLC off completely, though.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Troll Trouble DLC was probably worst shit i ever saw.

IT was basically cut content from the game made in this way so that people would register in their launcher (that checked server for updates).
And for most people it didn't fucking work like intended. I played TW2 3 times (2 before EE) and never did that quest.

Cadmus

Arcane
I didn't at all like the way TW2 handled the DLC, even if the added quests were a lot of fun. I guess it's nice to get some new weapons and armor with the DLCs, but not when it makes everything else in the game obsolete for half of the game. I'd rather have an added challenge than something that just makes the game easier.

:nocountryforshitposters:
This is where I stopped reading because you are so wrong it hurts.
First you say the way they handled DLC was bad, then you say you loved the Quests and items they added but complain they didn't make the game more challenging.

Except they added a DARK Mode to the game which was extremely difficult (Comparatively) and you HAD to play the dark mode game setting to get access to the really powerful item sets.
Game Difficulty went up, new items were given with unique set bonuses and appearances, your argument sucks.

They also released the REDKit so anyone could mod the game and the developers released a full combat overhaul free of charge last year...

If you are gonna bitch about CDPotato Red.. do some homework..
That fucking dark mode patch fucked up the performance AND the graphics for the worse. To this day I don't understand how they managed to do that.
Fuck the DLCs. I hate that fucking word. It used to be called an expansion pack and it used to be as big as a 3/4 of the original game. Fuck everything about DLCs. Fuck CDPR and fuck the retarded fanboys. Either the game is good or not, it doesn't fucking matter if it was released by fucking Larian or Bioware.

I still pray that they don't go full AAA retards with this game but I don't have much hope. I'm scared because they started the development around the time when everybody and their granny wanted to make a Skyrim killer and while I have faith in Vavra and Warhorse that they will do their own thing, CDPR seems a little bit off the rails with their megalomaniac project and they are losing focus and direction and the artistic assets suffer for it as is obvious from the screenshots and videos.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Oh, my mistake, it was from the other total overhaul patch that they released for the game. That totally changes... something.

You just don't know what you are talking about at all..
You might as well point your ass to the computer screen and start ripping because that is about the standard of quality of what you have to say.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
You just don't know what you are talking about at all..
You might as well point your ass to the computer screen and start ripping because that is about the standard of quality of what you have to say.
Oh god, what a complete butthurt fanboy. I like CD Projekt RED and The Witcher games a lot, generally agree with what they're doing and definitely appreciate the way they add new content to their games for free even after release, but I disagree about a few things about their DLC policy. What about this is so hard to understand?

- New playable content: All well and good, although not a fan of early DLC packs that seem like they were just cut from the game and released as DLC. Obviously would prefer a finished game to a sort-of-passable one that eventually gets finished through several patches, DLCs and completely overhauled versions of the game. Still, having more stuff to play is of course nice.
- New items and abilities: Free items and abilities that notably make the game easier suck, cosmetic additions or items that can be obtained through quests and so on may be good. Being able to turn this shit off is a good thing.
- Enhanced Edition, Version 2.0 patch etc.: Great.

Overall: Lots of good, something bad, the end result is a bit incoherent due to all the little things they added on the way. Probably comes down to my general dislike of DLC in general.

Make an actual argument or GTFO.

(And yeah, I didn't bother checking which patch included what because it had fuck all to do with the original point.)

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Oh god, what a complete butthurt fanboy. I like CD Projekt RED and The Witcher games a lot, generally agree with what they're doing and definitely appreciate the way they add new content to their games for free even after release, but I disagree about a few things about their DLC policy. What about this is so hard to understand?

- New playable content: All well and good, although not a fan of early DLC packs that seem like they were just cut from the game and released as DLC. Obviously would prefer a finished game to a sort-of-passable one that eventually gets finished through several patches, DLCs and completely overhauled versions of the game. Still, having more stuff to play is of course nice.
- New items and abilities: Free items and abilities that notably make the game easier suck, cosmetic additions or items that can be obtained through quests and so on may be good. Being able to turn this shit off is a good thing.
- Enhanced Edition, Version 2.0 patch etc.: Great.

Overall: Lots of good, something bad, the end result is a bit incoherent due to all the little things they added on the way. Probably comes down to my general dislike of DLC in general.

Make an actual argument or GTFO.

(And yeah, I didn't bother checking which patch included what because it had fuck all to do with the original point.)

:notsureifserious:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Since I never buy hard copy games nowadays (too lazy to visit stores and too impatient to wait for mail delivery) all games are DLC for me anyway.
As long as they don't do that transparent rip-off where they sell you overpriced gimmicks like fancy (read: overpowered) armor or cars or weapons in most console games or like the shit they pulled off with Horse Armor for Oblivion or Heartfire for Skyrim I have no qualms with long livecycle games where they add new content packages from time to time. After all I decide if I wanna buy it, so where is the fucking problem?

And bitching about free content beyond what's their duty (patches)? Are you fucking serious?

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I just don't understand the concept of free DLC. If it is free, why don't include it in base game anyway?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I just don't understand the concept of free DLC. If it is free, why don't include it in base game anyway?
Maybe the content is not ready when the game goes gold. Also it is a good way the keep the game in the spotlight, because each time a DLC is releaed, people are talking about the game.

catfood

AGAIN
It's a PR gimmick. The content would have been in the game already of course, but to boost their image they use this free DLC schtick to make people believe just how awesome they are by giving away DLC for free instead of charging money like all the others.:roll:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's not really that difficult to comprehend, is it? But alright, let me think for you:

1) Content in the DLC might be done after the game is finished (aka goes gold)
2) DLCs might be made by the people who do no longer have to actively work on the game's content, like graphic artists done all the graphics for the game and now have free time to make some additions which were not planned before
3) Affects public relations positively and encourages positive comments about the game ("they add stuff and for free!")

Whether all of the above are true or not, I do not know, but I'm pretty sure the above points are the usual reasons to release free DLCs at the time the game comes out.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And I do not see a reason to get excited about it as some people do here ("FAGGOTS! THE CONTENT WAS IN THE GAME ALREADY!" or "BEST COMPANY EVER LOL SHITS ON BIOWARE ALL THE WAY"), but I guess I'm not autist enough for codex standards to care about game-related stuff of minor importance.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
And I do not see a reason to get excited about it as some people do here
I do. Most game studios just don't do that, adding hours worth of gameplay for free because there was criticism that late game content was stretched thin (which is true for most CRPGs anyway). This is pretty bro of them and I respect them for it.
But I guess I'm not autist enough for Codex standards and therefore don't like to draw everything and everyone in the dirt just because we're all oh so hardcore here and bitching is fun.

Konjad

Patron
I do. Most game studios just don't do that, adding hours worth of gameplay for free because there was criticism that late game content was stretched thin (which is true for most CRPGs anyway). This is pretty bro of them and I respect them for it.
But I guess I'm not autist enough for Codex standards and therefore don't like to draw everything and everyone in the dirt just because we're all oh so hardcore here and bitching is fun.
I meant the extreme attitudes, I myself consider it a nice gesture.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's not really that difficult to comprehend, is it? But alright, let me think for you:

1) Content in the DLC might be done after the game is finished (aka goes gold)
2) DLCs might be made by the people who do no longer have to actively work on the game's content, like graphic artists done all the graphics for the game and now have free time to make some additions which were not planned before
3) Affects public relations positively and encourages positive comments about the game ("they add stuff and for free!")

Whether all of the above are true or not, I do not know, but I'm pretty sure the above points are the usual reasons to release free DLCs at the time the game comes out.

Most likely it is the third option. Still pretty stupid though.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
I meant the extreme attitudes, I myself consider it a nice gesture.
Fair enough, misread it then.
Same here, never was a true "fan" of anything either, grand emotions are not my thing.

Avellion

Erudite
1. The content may not be finished at launch
2. By adding free DLC you look good in front of your consumers.
3. Free DLC means "free" publicity from news sources and word of mouth. Which in turn means more publicity. Brilliant marketing.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
It's a PR gimmick. The content would have been in the game already of course, but to boost their image they use this free DLC schtick to make people believe just how awesome they are by giving away DLC for free instead of charging money like all the others.:roll:
Never ever mention any feature or content before release - people will always claim it was already in the game but was cut or locked. It won't matter how much content you will put in the game, how good the game was etc.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Taking the title literally, there should be a rape function. Some people just deserve it.

It's almost as bad for a woman to get raped as lose her hair.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom