Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Rake

Arcane
My mistake then. Since cosmetics have zero real value, and you like extra content (quests, areas, NPCs etc) less, i thought you consider it bad.
Why is it so hard to understand?
Your position only makes sense if you believe cosmetics have any value, and that IS hard to understand. But to each his own.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Basically this is beautiful "FUCK YOU" to all the other shitty companies like EA, Ubisoft and Activision (you know, those multibillion dollar corporations) that keep nickle and diming gamers (who, sadly, accept it) as much as they can.

Sure it is a PR stunt. But it is beautiful, glorious PR stunt, the likes of which we need as many as possible.

Anyone who bitches about this is a retard.

^ Prime example of what CDP shoots for with stunts like this: gets the fanboys like Paul all fired up.

Athelas

Arcane
It's a very transparent PR move. Announcing the free DLC so far in advance of the actual release date doesn't exactly help either.

Grinning Reaper

Geralt having a beard is a decline for me i hate it when they change characters look like that for no reason.
However in W2 you had the option to change haircut so i hope that in the world of witcher there exists a razor for shaving.

Borelli Your wish is granted, totally awesome shaving DLC confirmed!

CDPR -- 16 free DLCs announced prerelease, it's like I can buy the game and it comes with... content; and you're telling me which bits of content you could have withheld, but won't, how sweet! Thank FSM I gave up on this franchise with TW2. Is this better than actually withholding the content and charging for it? Yeah, I guess, but ffs I wasn't gonna touch the steaming piles of shit that employ such business tactics anyway and CDPR essentially telling their fans that they could do it and looking for praise and adoration for not doing it shouldn't buy them any good will from gamers; and I guess since these 16 were singled out as being free, there could be far more that aren't. I guess shit like this would be decline for me, Geralt having a beard doesn't really register.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
If they plan adding free extra content after the release to keep their bloated team of artists and designers busy, they might as well announce it to gather some favourable PR. We will not be baited by this (disclaimer: I preordered ages ago anyway), but it might generate some extra sales for them - and exploiting morons is something The Codex usually admires. Also, bitching about getting free stuff is retarded.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
If they plan adding free extra content after the release to keep their bloated team of artists and designers busy, they might as well announce it to gather some favourable PR. We will not be baited by this (disclaimer: I preordered ages ago anyway), but it might generate some extra sales for them - and exploiting morons is something The Codex usually admires. Also, bitching about getting free stuff is retarded.

I imagine it has in part to do with some console players re-selling their games after finishing them for store credit or however it works. Giving couple of months of steady free content is a decent business plan to actually keep those copies in players' hands for a while longer, possibly even get them to buy proper expansion/paid DLC in the long run. It's a nice bonus for PC players either way.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I imagine it has in part to do with some console players re-selling their games after finishing them for store credit or however it works. Giving couple of months of steady free content is a decent business plan to actually keep those copies in players' hands for a while longer, possibly even get them to buy proper expansion/paid DLC in the long run. It's a nice bonus for PC players either way.
You are probably right, although it would need the DLCs to have actual content, not just cosmetic stuff.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Why the fuck are people bitching about? So paid DLC's are not good, FREE DLC's are also not good.

Not sure. But "free DLC available to everyone" sounds just like "normal game content" to me. Maybe people are complaining about it being marketed as something "special"?

Paul_cz

Arcane
Basically this is beautiful "FUCK YOU" to all the other shitty companies like EA, Ubisoft and Activision (you know, those multibillion dollar corporations) that keep nickle and diming gamers (who, sadly, accept it) as much as they can.

Sure it is a PR stunt. But it is beautiful, glorious PR stunt, the likes of which we need as many as possible.

Anyone who bitches about this is a retard.

^ Prime example of what CDP shoots for with stunts like this: gets the fanboys like Paul all fired up.

Fired up how? I see what it is, PR stunt, but I also see that it is very nice PR stunt, shining light on practices of other shitty companies, which it is. So what.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I didn't at all like the way TW2 handled the DLC, even if the added quests were a lot of fun. I guess it's nice to get some new weapons and armor with the DLCs, but not when it makes everything else in the game obsolete for half of the game. I'd rather have an added challenge than something that just makes the game easier.

:nocountryforshitposters:
This is where I stopped reading because you are so wrong it hurts.
First you say the way they handled DLC was bad, then you say you loved the Quests and items they added but complain they didn't make the game more challenging.

Except they added a DARK Mode to the game which was extremely difficult (Comparatively) and you HAD to play the dark mode game setting to get access to the really powerful item sets.
Game Difficulty went up, new items were given with unique set bonuses and appearances, your argument sucks.

They also released the REDKit so anyone could mod the game and the developers released a full combat overhaul free of charge last year...

If you are gonna bitch about CDPotato Red.. do some homework..

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Oh this is great. I was waiting to play this game on release, it's already in my GoG library, and now I find out I will need to wait at least four months after it's out to have the complete experience. Nice of them to warn in advance.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Oh this is great. I was waiting to play this game on release, it's already in my GoG library, and now I find out I will need to wait at least four months after it's out to have the complete experience. Nice of them to warn in advance.

:lol: How can I save the world without mah horse armor and the witcher hair salon.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'm thinking about the extra quests, characters, and worthwile items that are bound to be made available eventually.

mondblut

Arcane
Oh this is great. I was waiting to play this game on release, it's already in my GoG library, and now I find out I will need to wait at least four months after it's out to have the complete experience.

Entitled brat much? Normally people need to wait at least four months after a game is out to have an experience that doesn't crash every 5 minutes.

Anyway, the way we're heading now, soon there won't be such thing as "complete experience" until a game is officially discontinued and a sequel is announced. Say hello to PDX.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom