Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gerrard

Arcane
It is great that we have lot of NPC but what for? For use few lines of linear dialogue? Without any way to interact with them ? Story ?
I like how you complain about things that apply to most, if not all, other games you mentioned.
Oh but this is a new game so FUCK YEAH DOUBLE STANDARDS

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
http://segmentnext.com/2014/10/15/witcher-3-wild-hunt-features-self-sustaining-ecosystem/

In a new interview, designer Damien Monnier talked about the game’s internal ecosystem and how it’s a technical marvel as well.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt features a ton of areas that come with different environments and climates. Each area is populated with its own wildlife, much similar to how these areas are usually in the real world. For example, lush forests in the game will have a good population of deers and wolves.

If Geralt chooses to stick to the game’s storyline, the ecosystem will continue to sustain itself. You’ll see the occasional wolves hunting down deers and herds making their way for fresher grazing lands.

However, if the players begin to interfere with the system then there will be consequences. As an example, Monnier said that if you kill all the deers in a specific area, the wolves will leave in search for a new area with food.

Killing all the wolves instead, will cause the deer population to start growing out of control. Even deforesting a whole area will have a major impact on the area, making changes to the food chain and the area with it.
How's that for C&C bitches?

For C&C? This sounds as cool as it is useless, from a plot point of view. Now, if killing all game meant that wolves started attacking humans out of hunger, and the player found out that his quest NPC had been eaten the week before by a pack of rabid wolves, now that'd be something...

pippin

What the hell are you doing, CDP? "This cosmetic-and-time-consuming feature is totally worth it in a game with an already-massive scope, let's do it."

you could apply the same logic to voice acting.

Tytus

Arcane
What the hell are you doing, CDP? "This cosmetic-and-time-consuming feature is totally worth it in a game with an already-massive scope, let's do it."

You could also apply the same logic to different weapon models. Why make a large amount of weapon models make one model for each kind of weapon and the variety will come from stats. Because this is cosmetic and time consuming feature.

Or why make their own sounds for monsters, magic, cities etc. They should just use stock audio files, because it's cosmetic and time consuming.

Hell, why are they even making different animation sets for human characters. All npc should have the same walk cycle and have the same death animation every time. This is cosmetic and time consuming.

Voice acting at least is a big selling point (particularly for the "2014 and I can't even immerse myself in my character? Please" crowd). This is like soil erosion, i.e. nobody cares and those few who do think it's just an amusing little detail.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Absence of voice acting would make it look hella cheap, so no.

Same deal with all those other things. This is a feature that wouldn't even be missed if it wasn't there.

You see because when I think Witcher I think "killing monsters" (they're both for monsters) not "killing animals."

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
They got delayed to 2015 so they could "learn" some additional shitty features from Inquisition crap. All of that to just produce overhyped and empty console hack n' slash like it was done with Witcher 2.
This time it will be better becouse we get "open" world, more action, animations, explosions, tits, awesome magic effects and epic AAA crap in completely boring world setting [as original books were just weak fantasy -praised as being "mature" just becouse they have strong words and lot of 3rd class "erotic" ].
Why they can't do game like Heroes of a broken land, Divinity :OS or Lords of Xulima while just keeping really nice graphics ?

[Okay don't care about my criticism to the setting or books etc. i want to focus on other thing.]
But it is wrong direction becouse soon all big budget so called crpgs will be only action games with a story. And real crpgs will be made only by small kickstarter developers.
I mean our genre soon will be complete niche. And as crpg people will start to describe h n' s like Diablo, Dark Souls, Witcher or Assassin's Creed,Shadow of Mordor. I wish Witcher best as any other game,
i just hate to see this kind of games called as crpgs or what is more scary "best crpg in years" etc. They are just movie driven, mindless, action games for quick button/key pressing and watching awesome graphics.
We need more traditional, high budget crpgs, so thank God for games like Pillars, DOS or Wasteland2, Grimrock 1&2.
What i call real crpg ?
A game with interesting story, classic or alternative/experimental mechanics without fingers dexterity training,
with time to think about story, it's hard to define but it must be a game with its own "world" which suck You inside for long hours and which you want to visit after 10 years or so, full of memorable places, characters, moments, quests, battles, ways to play. A big, unique adventure.​

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
[Okay don't care about my criticism to the setting or books etc. i want to focus on other thing.]
But it is wrong direction becouse soon all big budget so called crpgs will be only action games with a story. And real crpgs will be made only by small kickstarter developers.
I mean our genre soon will be complete niche. And as crpg people will start to describe h n' s like Diablo, Dark Souls, Witcher or Assassin's Creed,Shadow of Mordor. I wish Witcher best as any other game,
i just hate to see this kind of games called as crpgs or what is more scary "best crpg in years" etc. They are just movie driven, mindless, action games for quick button/key pressing and watching awesome graphics.
We need more traditional, high budget crpgs, so thank God for games like Pillars, DOS or Wasteland2, Grimrock 1&2.​

What do you mean, "soon". That's been the reality for the past four years at least. Your genre is already niche, I'm afraid.

Nope, it will become worse. We still have some great new crpgs around [few already mentioned above] and some new on the horizon, besides well known golden classics
[just look at Codex list of top 70 classics - besides alpha protocol they are all great ;) ] .If we continue to call games like Witcher , Dark Souls or similar , an cRPG we will destroy our beloved genre to the bone.
It will transform to a shiny crap for manual monkeys . It's not wrong to play them, becouse that kind of games are indeed good sometimes [especially when you want some action and brain free relax after work or hard family life ;) ] ,
it is just fuckin wrong to call them crpgs. They are often very good games, look at nice Mordor, Mass Effect etc. but they are not true crpgs, just action games. Totally other genre.
We are digging great hole for ourselves this way. This kind of games = h n's should be placed in general gaming , thats all. Its like calling Rambo movie a drama.

Gerrard

Arcane
Your definition of RPG makes as much sense as "game in which you play a role".

Nope rpg is other thing, im writing about crpg and the fact it is replaced as a genre by H n' S type of games by "mainstream" producers. And what is real wrong, Hn'S is "stealing" crpg name, offering dull and shallow games instead.
tumblr_n1hxeraiJW1tstqaho1_500.gif

Declinator

Arbiter
Nope, it will become worse. We still have some great new crpgs around [few already mentioned above] and some new on the horizon, besides well known golden classics
[just look at Codex list of top 70 classics - besides alpha protocol they are all great ;) ] .If we continue to call games like Witcher , Dark Souls or similar , an cRPG we will destroy our beloved genre to the bone.
It will transform to a shiny crap for manual monkeys . It's not wrong to play them, becouse that kind of games are indeed good sometimes [especially when you want some action and brain free relax after work or hard family life ;) ] ,
it is just fuckin wrong to call them crpgs. They are often very good games, look at nice Mordor, Mass Effect etc. but they are not true crpgs, just action games. Totally other genre.
We are digging great hole for ourselves this way. This kind of games = h n's should be placed in general gaming , thats all. Its like calling Rambo movie a drama.

There have been very few medium/high budget CRPGs that do not heavily feature action elements in the last ten years. If you do not count the recent "renaissance" you can probably count them all on one hand with fingers left over. I do not know what you are imagining but it seems to me that your message is over ten years too late and while this recent development (with the old school CRPGs) might just be a slight bump on the road of action RPGs it would just be business as usual if the old school well goes dry.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
>Implying awesome graphics and somehow competent main plot are not the only selling points of TW2
>Implying its not the same with TW3 minus competent main plot because muhh prophecy

This is why we can't have nice things. People buy RPG for 'awesome graphics'.

.:hmmm:

Back in the day FPSes were for awesome graphics. It's just like with men and women. Today trannies are the new women and rpg's are the new benchmarks.

No it is our bright fuckin future like every kid knows, action crpgs for everyone, hooray, its business man
tumblr_mzm7fpHCnF1qdunk8o1_500.gif
death to thinking, death to classy mechanics, all we need is just awesome graphics and mindless, fuckin epic action ! LET'S HYPE! What's that ? Counting days to see some intro movie? Ha ha ha ha... It's sad thats all.
Its scary as hell, if soon all of new so called AAA "crpgs" will be clones of Witcher, Dark Souls, Mass Effect or something like that , you know...
tumblr_mzerlzBqkP1qdunk8o1_500.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom