Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
They also put a more direct response elsewhere.

http://www.worldsfactory.net/2014/10/06/cd-projekt-no-downgrade-the-witcher-3

CD Projekt: There Will Be No Downgrade For The Witcher 3

the-witcher-3_torch_cave-670x376.jpg

06 October 2014
Even though CD Projekt enjoyed a full fledged honeymoon with both the press and the community so far, the last few days have sparked somewhat of a commotion in the community, particularly on the official forums and on Neogaf board. This was directly related to last week’s release of the latest The Witcher 3 screenshots batch, with the following screenshot (click to view it at full size) under specific scrutiny:

Quite a few fans have criticized the apparent graphics downgrade, mainly pointing out that the wolves’ hair appears much less detailed and realistic than what was previously showcased; CD Projekt had, in fact, announced to be using NVIDIA‘s HairWorks technology to render better looking wolves. You can find the original demonstration here on YouTube, while below we’ve embedded one of the few screengrabs available so far.

Some even went as far as speculating that this could be a screenshot from the console version. Obviously, this was set ablaze when a Neogaf member, whose credentials as an insider have been apparently verified by a board administrator, said that PR is creating “an overblown vision of a game that doesn’t exist”. We reached out to CD Projekt for comment, and Community Manager Marcin Momot has been kind enough to release the following statement:

Please keep in mind that the game is still in production phase. Certain things are still being worked on. The final version of the game will look better than what can be seen in the latest screenshots – no matter the platform. As you probably know, when publishing screenshots, some of them can be subjectively less appealing than others (depending on one’s opinion), that’s perfectly normal. The most important thing here is that the game will come out looking gorgeous when we are done working on it. There will be no downgrade.

Now, while it is understandable that this is a sensitive topic for gamers after what happened with Watch_Dogs and Dark Souls II, there is no evidence that The Witcher 3 will suffer from similar issues. I have seen a live gameplay demonstration less than two months ago and the game looked fantastic and ran smoothly, with Visual Effects Artist Jose Teixeira telling us afterwards that you won’t even need a beastly PC to play it at max settings. Moreover, the studio has demonstrated its technical prowess with the previous games; there’s no reason to believe that the final version will be in any way inferior to what we’ve already seen (in fact, according to them, it will receive further improvements).

There’s a lot of hype surrounding The Witcher 3, that’s for sure. We’ve awarded the game many of our Gamescom 2014 Awards, including Best of the Show, and so did many other publications; the final release is only four months and a half away now, which means that fairly soon we will know if it will turn out to be everything that was promised or not.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Writing on the games forum NeoGAF, one anonymous user took issue with others praising the Witcher 3, claiming that developer CD Projekt Red has built an "overblown" impression of the game. After the anonymous poster's legitimacy was questioned, a NeoGAF administrator claimed they had been "vetted and cleared," suggesting these were not the words of an outsider.

Neogaf.

:hmmm:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
CD Projekt and 'overblown' go together like peanut butter and jelly. Nothing surprising.

Wasteland 2
To be fair wolf fur is a gimmick only for people with double/triple Titans and they were clear about that from the beginning. And obviously characters have lowwer detail during gameplay, than during cutscenes.
Now, this mountain scenery looks lower detail for sure, but how do you know it's from the new build, or that the area is final. It looks a lot like vistas from the first scrrenshots froma year, or two ago.

Of course what Metro wrote is true, but I hardly see any proof for that yet, if it comes to graphics. Even if true, it'll still look great. I would be more concerned about bullshitting in other areas then visuals.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
PR is creating "an overblown vision of a game that doesn’t exist"
What does that exactly mean?

Besides, PR claiming the second coming of Christ, no really? In a moment someone will tell me they are actually getting paid for it.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
PR is creating "an overblown vision of a game that doesn’t exist"
What does that exactly mean?

Besides, PR claiming the second coming of Christ, no really? In a moment someone will tell me they are actually getting paid for it.
I would interpret the statement to mean everything shown is faked in someway and not actually a playable game. Which is a pretty big accusation to make.

On the other hand, Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Athelas

Arcane
Making separate game builds for conferences like E3 is pretty commonplace.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The NeoGAF leaker could simply be some wide-eyed noob who is shocked, shocked to learn that such things are occuring at a company he once idolized so.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I remember the good times when Half-Life 2's source was leaked and it revealed that everything about their E3 video was fake.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I have a huge respect for CD Projekt Red.. Their dev team is extremely talented and passionate.. GoG is basically the best resaler of video games you can find and they understand that DRM is retarded.

Of course.. Who knows that the future holds.. 8 years ago Bioware used to hold that title..

I remember the good times when Half-Life 2's source was leaked and it revealed that everything about their E3 video was fake.

That's not exactly true..

Gerrard

Arcane
Yeah, and it was quickly found to cause up to 30% performance hit compared to the DRM-free version from GOG.

Not to mention the launch failure.

pippin

both witcher games had drm. the first one had tages and also, iirc, you had to register your game in cdpr's page.

edit

they understand that DRM is retarded.
I'm pretty sure they lucked into this as a way to differentiate from steam.

ironically, some old games released on steam recently use gog builds. i have the realms of arkania trilogy on steam and each one has a goggame.dll file.

norolim

Arcane
Yeah, and it was quickly found to cause up to 30% performance hit compared to the DRM-free version from GOG.
That's why CDPR acted against their publisher demands and removed the DRM quickly, with a patch. A very pro-customer decision that later resulted in a lawsuit they lost.

Cadmus

Arcane
The combat wasn't really that bad. It was fluent and it punished the player hard if he fucked up. Imo the worst part was not being able to drink potions during battles. Like how the hell are people supposed to guess when a fight is about to happen?

I recently just played Witcher 2 on the Dark mode or whatever.. I just felt like a twirly princess.. The combat gets in the way of what I enjoy about that game.

I would honestly argue.. and this is gonna get me crucified.. that Dragon Age has better combat then Witcher.. *GASP*

Sorry.. I don't like Action Combat in an RPG.. I would take RTwP over click spamming enemies / spamming a single spell to stunlock heavy armored opponents / rolling around like a retard to dodge kraken tentacles.
this is the Codex, nobody likes any action combat ever, you're among your friends

what a bunch of disabled idiots, OMG YOU JUEMP AND ALL TWITCH CONTROLS BOOHOO COMBAT SUX

DeepOcean

Arcane
this is the Codex, nobody likes any action combat ever, you're among your friends
Nope, this is BS, Dark Souls, Dragon Dogma and Blade of Darkness are good games. Witcha 2? Well...it has cool graphix and nice tits, I think it is a consolation prize.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Nope, this is BS, Dark Souls, Dragon Dogma and Blade of Darkness are good games. Witcha 2? Well...it has cool graphix and nice tits, I think it is a consolation prize.

Yea I said I hated action RPG's but now I realize I am wrong.. I loved Demon Souls / Dark Souls / Dark Souls 2.. I would love an action RPG like Dark Souls that had a steeper progression based on stats and gear and wasn't as punishing gameplay wise for the Witcher titles..

Nothing wrong with the brutal ass rape Dark Souls method but I feel those games already fill that niche perfectly and would love to see that kind of indepth combat make it into other action RPG's..
I am pretty sure we all can agree the whole Back Pedal while swinging sword wildly Oblivion style of gameplay should die in a fire and Witcher isn't much better jamming my left mouse button and swivelling the camera around like a spinning ballerina on a turn table.

I want engaging combat.. either make it turn based or put some effort and make it dark souls.. :lol:

Dat_Geralt

Barely Literate
I've just read that the game won't have any kind of branching storyline because they want all to experience the same game.

The fuck, is that shit right or I've been trolled? it was the best thing about TW2.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I've just read that the game won't have any kind of branching storyline because they want all to experience the same game.

The fuck, is that shit right or I've been trolled? it was the best thing about TW2.

I sorta disagree.. There was definitely a more polished quest hub in Witcher 2 and unfortunately it meant befriending the edgy elf. In theory it sounds good.. but it never really works as well in practice.. Having a chunk of your game missing in a playthrough can kinda ruin it.. The whole "never experience the whole game in one playthrough" really only works for side quests and hidden areas or a divergence of the plot based on C&C..

At the end of the day.. I wanna see the entire fucking game.. just have my choices affect how it plays out.

Athos

Arcane

They explaind thtat statement later. Basically they meant that there won't be mutually exclusive paths like in act 2 of the witcher 2 but quests will change based on decisions the player made previously and some side quests will be locked depending on the "world status" created by the player.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I think the exact term wasn't "the same game" but "the whole story", and I don't see much wrong with that. TW2's fork was cool, but it obviously ate a shit ton of resources from other areas of the game, and many things about the story were left unexplained on a single playthrough.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

DS DD might be good games...... but they are not good RPGs, they are not RPGs at all, twitcher also. I just played them because that's the closest that we get to RPGs today.

made

Arcane

DS DD might be good games...... but they are not good RPGs, they are not RPGs at all, twitcher also. I just played them because that's the closest that we get to RPGs today.
Define "RPG".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom