Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
I don't think this map has been posted yet.
Sna3kJe.jpg

Was there a second witcher on the grassy knoll?

TedNugent

Arcane
Why would they cap it at 30?

Human eye can only register 24 anyway.

Are you trolling?

Chivalry Medieval Warfare sets cap at 60 FPS. Open console command statfps. It shows framerate alongside a number registered in milliseconds. If you go into config and change the FPS cap to 120, you can see that number in milliseconds drop to half. That's because that number represents latency.

Even if your eye couldn't distinguish the difference between the frames, there's always an impact on latency. There is an extremely noticeable reduction amount of mouse lag in Chivalry at 60 FPS compared to 120 FPS, which is why I go through the trouble of opening up the config and resetting the frame rate cap after every major patch.

Paul_cz

Arcane
bozia2012 was joking, only a dumbfuck would seriously think human eye can register 24hz.
And yeah you are right, 120 is fucking awesome, although I am mostly fine with 60 when playing on a TV.

I am so glad we will visit Oxenfurt. Really looking forward to exploring that.

bonescraper

It was confirmed that both Oxenfurt and Novigrad are in the game.
Where? I doubt they would make a second big city environment. Vizimia is also on the map, but it's not an open, explorable area. This is not an in-game map, it doesn't represent the actual game world.

His Majesty

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Gamestar journalist who got to play the game for ~12 hours confirmed that Oxenfurt is in the game.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This will be the Dragon Age: Inquisition of 2015. Anyone who is seriously putting hopes into it being an actual RPG is gravely mistaken.

You can generally tell a game is going to be shit when you see they are buttering you up with sleazy sales talk:
Some info from Gamestar who had an editor spend 2 days with the game. He is somewhat hyped.
"My two days with Geralt were one of the most beautiful, most exciting and overwhelming experiences I have experienced in my 33 years gaming life"
Sounds like a schoolgirl whose parents let her boyfriend take her to the sea for a weekend.
"In my 33 years..." geez, so this places the experience just above your marriage and kids' birthdays? Unless you have no wife and kids, no graduations or anything, so the most remarkable moment in your life were your "two days with Geralt".

Next hints are when you see what features they are emphasizing. Tells you not only what to expect to see, but what to not expect. In this case, don't expect anything RPG-related. Instead, get ready for:

• Many small details such as Roach stopping to eat apples from a basket
  • Geralts beard will grow over time
  • Visual gore more prominent than in The Witcher 2
  • Most dynamic/impressive Weather System the reporter has ever seen.

Evidence of even further bullshit streamlining? Check!
  • Ciri sequences will be (in total) 5-10h and feel more like an action-adventure game than an RPG
so in this "RPG" we have between 5 and 10 hours of unskippable twitch action gameplay. Way to go.
  • The extremely annoying doors from The Witcher 2 are gone. Doors are now opened automatically, no button pressing. No loading times for entering buildings either.
When a game developer calls a feature in his previous games "extremely annoying" because he has cut it out of the most recent game, you should run. Just run.

• You only need to craft a potion once and you can refill it if you have enough alcohol present.

All in all, nice graphics demo. I wish there was also a game to go with it.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
"In my 33 years..." geez, so this places the experience just above your marriage and kids' birthdays? Unless you have no wife and kids, no graduations or anything, so the most remarkable moment in your life were your "two days with Geralt".

It's like you would expect something more from gamers.

Anyone expecting witcher 3 to be anything more than a sub-par garbage is fooling himself. The biggest indication is the console release.

The only good witcher was witcher 1 because it was made only for pc, and then again, it wasn't exceptional in any aspect, it was just another gothic type game clone, even the devs say themselves that Witcher(especially 3) has more to do with Gothic than with Skyrim.
Why Gothic is so popular in Europe? Because it caters to the euro trash intellect or lack thereof.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

It's like you would expect something more from gamers.

Anyone expecting witcher 3 to be anything more than a sub-par garbage is fooling himself. The biggest indication is the console release.

The only good witcher was witcher 1 because it was made only for pc, and then again, it wasn't exceptional in any aspect, it was just another gothic type game clone.
At least I know we're on the same page.

Ah, now that is some proper Codex cynicism!
I was going for sober realism actually. After all the DAI release isn't even a year old, how can people forget so quickly what it is to listen to company reps who treat them like morons.

Anyway, I've been following the last 20 or so pages of this thread and I just wanted to leave that post here, so that I am able to remind fanboys of it when they start crying in a couple of months. Not that I wouldn't be happy to be proven wrong, it's just that all past experience shows the opposite is most likely, and I wish I could save a few souls from paying for this shit. It doesn't deserve your money any more than DAI did. (After I was dumb enough to preorder DAI, I've taken things a little too personal I guess.)

And I think cynicism would rather be this:
  • Geralts beard will grow over time
I guess a feature to shave your beard as Geralt will be applauded by an audience the majority of which just got the first hair growing on their balls a few months ago.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I wonder though, are KOTORs considered "actual RPGs" ?
I always considered them that, and by that metric so are both Witcher games.

You know, the discussion about what is an RPG hasn't happened for such a long time on codex.

AwesomeButton

Patron
This will be the Dragon Age: Inquisition of 2015. Anyone who is seriously putting hopes into it being an actual RPG is gravely mistaken.

implying that the previous Witcher games were "actual RPGs"
No, I'm not implying they were actual RPGs by not explicitly mentioning they are not such.

I have played both previous Witcher games but finished neither. That's one reason I don't want to discuss them, the other one is that the thread isn't about them and I didn't want to talk about them in the first place. Ok now?

What I wanted to say was "Don't buy into hyped up shit. Don't submit to wishful thinking, and read the signs the devs are giving - there is enough of them everywhere." I can't and don't want to review the whole series.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

implying that the previous Witcher games were "actual RPGs"
No, I'm not implying they were actual RPGs by not explicitly mentioning they are not such.

I have played both previous Witcher games but finished neither. That's one reason I don't want to discuss them, the other one is that the thread isn't about them and I didn't want to talk about them in the first place. Ok now?

OK then, so why would people in this thread be disappointed by Witcher 3 or be "putting hopes into it" (unless they're weirdo graphics whores)?

You can look at Dragon Age: Origins and DA:I and see a decline, and more importantly a drastic shift in the game's basic genre classification and gameplay conventions. But I don't see how somebody who hadn't already given up on the series after Witcher 2 could be disappointed by what he's seeing here.

AwesomeButton

Patron
OK then, so why would people in this thread be disappointed by Witcher 3 or be "putting hopes into it" (unless they're weirdo graphics whores)?
I don't know why you are assuming everyone has played both previous games.

You can look at Dragon Age: Origins and DA:I and see a decline, and more importantly a drastic shift in the game's basic genre classification and gameplay conventions. But I don't see how somebody who hadn't already given up on the series after Witcher 2 could be disappointed by what he's seeing here.
If we assume everyone who is interested in Witcher 3 knows what to expect, and we agree that's not an RPG, then why is this thread even in the RPG general discussion subforum?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I'm disappointed in the open world because I'm convinced it's going to be time wasting and hurt the story telling.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I wonder though, are KOTORs considered "actual RPGs" ?
I always considered them that, and by that metric so are both Witcher games.

You know, the discussion about what is an RPG hasn't happened for such a long time on codex.

Kotor is rpg
Witcher is not

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Witcher 3 = Kingdoms of Amalur with a better story. It'll be 'good for what it is' at $10 or less.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom