Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
This is the first time I heard that REDengine has anything to do with Aurora engine. I think they started making W2 with it, while at the same time they were developing their own engine, but they ran into trouble with the game and it was delayed and they decided to switch engines. You can see that the leaked "W2 internal video" still looks very much like the W1, and was clearly using the same engine, while the final product looks and plays entirely different.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I think they started making W2 with it.

No, all RED engines are re-writes of Aurora, witcher 1 was on red 1 which was 80% re-write of Aurora, Witcher 2 and 3 just use enhanced versions of that engine.

Witcher does not have in-house engine built by scratch by red studio, in effect they use the engine built by bioware.

Deep down in core you are in effect playing a Bioware game....... and it shows.

xcessive303

Novice
I think they started making W2 with it.

No, all RED engines are re-writes of Aurora, witcher 1 was on red 1 which was 80% re-write of Aurora, Witcher 2 and 3 just use enhanced versions of that engine.

Witcher does not have in-house engine built by scratch by red studio, in effect they use the engine built by bioware.

Deep down in core you are in effect playing a Bioware game....... and it shows.

Um do you understand what 'internally developed' means? Yeah, thats right, they made REDengine from scratch for W2 and is what W3 will be using.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Witcher 2 on aurora

maxresdefault.jpg

Witcher 2 on 'redengine' aka aurora 2

The-Witcher-2-Screenshot-05.jpg

'red engine' is a re-write of aurora for consoles, because aurora did not worked on consoles.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
More shots of witcher 2 from pre-dumbing down for xbawx and creating the faux engine, how it would look if it was only on PC

wiedzmin2-p5.jpg

wiedzmin2-p4.jpg

86551546.jpg

55865_orig.jpg

wiedzmin2-p7.jpg

wiedzmin2-p20.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

It looked fucking awful. Thank fuck they scrapped it entirely and made a new game in a new engine.

Darkzone

Arcane
Does Aurora 2 have terrain tessellation, or a flexibel renderer for deferred or forward rendeing piplines or is it using 64bit precision on 64bit processors?

Perkel

Arcane
First of all TW1 wasn't made on aurora. They used only stuff not related to rendering. Rendering itself was completely theirs. So they renamed it Djini i believe but still used licensed stuff from aurora.
That "alpha" was prototype of TW2 and run on early red engine. They scrapped "aurora" because it was shitty engine to write RPGs

Red engine have 0 to do with aurora.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Those Aurora screenshots look a lot better than this bloomy Red Engine vomit. Gives it that old, grimy and quaint look, when CRPGs where supposed to look shitty and we all rejoiced for good story telling and gameplay, not graphics whoring.

Twitcher 3 looks like the Crysis 3 of Crysis.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Because witcher since witcher 2 is a console shitty game, devs said it themselves that they want in for the jew conshul muniez

'While The Witcher 2 launched as PC exclusive, the team always had its sights set on multiple platforms. "We always wanted to release the game on consoles. We found it very hard to do with Aurora, which was rather solely a PC game engine'

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-the-making-of-the-witcher-2

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I meant story-wise. Are the first two inter-connected enough that I should play them in order and then eventually play the third one?
Witcher 1 is very stand-alone, almost nothing in it is related to Witcher 2, no need to play it at all if you're just doing it for understanding the story. We're seeing some returning chatacters in Witcher 3 from 1 that were not in 2, but I doubt you'll miss anything relevant to them by skipping 1.

Witcher 2 in to 3 seems like it is quite connected, to the point where it felt incomplete and a fair bit of what's started in Witcher 2 is going to be resolved in 3. I don't think you'll be left in the dark in 3 if you skip it though, it's just not done. Doubt there's any need to feel you must play them to pickup 3.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
This games looks like its a shit boring console game? Why the 181 pages?

It's the Codex way to pretend to hate games like this while secrectly planning on buying them day one.

Not much hating going on ITT TBH. Just a few dumbfucks who are playing at being so edgy they're almost vorpal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom