Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

hiver

If anyone actually watched the gameplay vidya you can see that they packed the world map full of content that is barely separated by a few threes or rocks. Caves, harpies, villages... its all crammed together. As is the norm for such a game. Splitting the game into separate zones doesnt have anything to do with it. Of course.

k3SuIOS.jpg

That Morrowind world map doesnt mean anything. What you experience as the player in the game matters and there you had no horses to go around which made everything feel bigger.

One of the reasons why i never used horses in Skyrim either.

There is also no need to have realistic distances between cities or places. argument from absurdity.

And since nobody would mind having some fucking space between every group of harpies or bears and bandits - having some space between would be actually good.

Last edited by a moderator:

hiver

The castle is built into a vast crag, and is suspended a hundred feet above the sea. There's no way three monsters waltzed up the winding pathway and talked their way past the guards. Something strange is going on.
/
I lock on and circle the bear, using the dodge command to sidestep its paw-swipes. When I can I plant a couple of flamboyant spinning fast strikes on its bum until it flops over dead.
How exciting...

The bear attack is a memorable moment, but I can't help but chuckle at the options I'm given in the aftermath of the bear attack. Should I a) go with the woman who wants to launch a forensic investigation into the massacre or b) side with the angry man who wants to charge into the wilderness and take revenge on all bears?
/
A few combos and Quen barriers later, he's dead, but a note found at the scene suggests the cult is being manipulated by a darker force -
Nice to see how these quests make links of bigger quest chains. Seems that at every few steps you get to choose more violent or maybe less violent approach. Which is not always the best.

Your move set is comparable to The Witcher 2, so you have heavy and light attacks and a dodge command. Dodging now causes Geralt to dart rather than roll, though you can hold the button down to have him dive roll a greater distance.

The lowest point of the demo was a fight with a griffon who seemed completely resistant to lock-on. It attacked with slashes and bodily shrugs that dealt damage at unpredictable angles. The fight was full of "bullshit!" moments symptomatic of poorly represented hitboxes. I would use my sluggish long-distance roll to avoid an attack, run back into range and swipe ineffectively at its haunches, hits sometimes registering, sometimes not.
Whatever. Same heavy-fast strikes of combat.

How many times we have heard how its supposedly so much beter and revamped and whatever?

In one area I solved the mystery of a haunted well and drew out a spirit. I had to lure it into my magical circle trap to give it physical form and then kill it with my silver sword. The fight required plenty of preparation. I had to gather clues from the abandoned buildings near the well and even go down the well to retrieve an amulet that could summon the spirit.
Sounds great right?

BUT

Holding down the button highlights important environmental clues like footprints, savaged corpses and dropped trinkets—I ended up using witcher vision in almost every quest I played.
Explorution buttan... :negative:

krist2

Augur
Patron
Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
BUT

Holding down the button highlights important environmental clues like footprints, savaged corpses and dropped trinkets—I ended up using witcher vision in almost every quest I played.
Explorution buttan... :negative:

hmm, sounds like the same thing Tomb Raider 2013 had..

Last edited:

hiver

We of course had many a highlight button to hold or press in our isometric cRPGs but this just shows you everything, including quest related stuff.

Machocruz

Arcane
Not surprised at all. Never change AAA. Never change.

That I've continued to hold out hope for Cyberpunk 2077 being more than lowest-common-denominator gibbon shit makes me no better than the mindless hype swallowers of Twitch3r. I think we haven't heard anything about that game in a while because they're still deciding where they're going to hide Mike Pondsmith's corpse. Hopefully somewhere where the spinning he's going to be doing doesn't cause too much racket.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So I'm only skimming this thread but from what I gather the last few pages have been people complaining about bugs and optimization in a game that's four months away, and loading screens as if those are a big deal or as though CDP's engine works the way other engines work.

Stelcio

Savant
So I'm only skimming this thread but from what I gather the last few pages have been people complaining about bugs and optimization in a game that's four months away, and loading screens as if those are a big deal or as though CDP's engine works the way other engines work.
More like about alleged false advertising of no loading screens than loading screens themselves.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just the Codex way to pass time til release, you know. :M
Nothing to see, move along.

hiver

More like about alleged false advertising of no loading screens than loading screens themselves.
Whats alleged about it?

There's a more indepth hands-on review over at CDP forums, in this thread for those interested.
Ugh..

:puts rubber suit on:

5 times I had been surprised and was ultimately shocked, while being left breathless and enchanted later At one moment I had tears in my eyes

AAARGHHH!

I was looking at the enormity of violence, face of death, after a few seconds the Wild Hunt appeared on the scene. Their emergence can be best described as a horror – I was scared even more than when I watched „Scream” in middle school at night.

:exorcist vomit:

Without a doubt the story presented in The Witcher 3 is simply unearthly emotive. The effect is intensified by a top class cinematic way of leading the plot that is unprecedented in games so far. Believe me that after plugging your PC to the TV no movie or series will be a match the third part of White Wolf’s adventures.

:retarded:

Skip

skip

skip skip

AARGGHH!!

Skip

skip

Contrary to what has been announced – the game’s world is not open from the very beginning(passages to other locations are closed by war blockades). Instead, access to next fragments will be unlocked along with our progress of the story – like in GTA series.

skip

dodge
horse riding – sometimes Roach is blocked by a tree or a rock; relatively low fences turn out to be unpassable sometimes. It also can’t climb a scarp if it falls into a small canion.
:lol::lol::lol:

I also exaggerate a little bit due to my journalist duty, as all that I mentioned wasn’t a big problem for me while playing.
:lolcopter:

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Wait, let me get this straight, people are arguing about loading screens existing when using fast-travel?

Cadmus

Arcane
guys I dont want to be a white knight for CDP but what the fuck? Skyrim haad loading for every city, house, cave and a shitter and nobody called them on "PR lies it's not an open world you feggets" I fail to see how loading and a few hubs is such a lie unless they said something very extreme like NO LOADING EVER NO NO. It could be I missed it but eh..

hiver

aww... so sweet.

A butthrut polish moron just grabbed a branch.
Been falling on your little head a lot havent you? Just single one liner and then its over?

Wanna cry and run back to CDpeojekt PR asshole for more delicious extreme emotional engagement dont you?
never enough eh?

made

Arcane
guys I dont want to be a white knight for CDP but what the fuck? Skyrim haad loading for every city, house, cave and a shitter and nobody called them on "PR lies it's not an open world you feggets" I fail to see how loading and a few hubs is such a lie unless they said something very extreme like NO LOADING EVER NO NO. It could be I missed it but eh..
Oh yeah? Are you still going to white knight CDP when it's discovered they secretly added Fluoride to the game box?!

WhiteGuts

Arcane
The bit about combat seems interesting :

Not to slow down a single bit I will move on to more detailed issues. We have 2 types of attacks – fast and heavy(circle and triangle accordingly). Its main feature is obvious from the very beginning – any resemblance of the Witcher 2’s combat system is gone. Total responsiveness – which of course will get us into trouble too if we mindlessly spam the attach button. Thing is that we will experience no more TW2’s moments where even being far away from the opponent we decided to attach…and Geralt flew towards him demonstrating a whole sequence of leaps, spins and a cut in the end. These times are gone. Now Geralt will attack only when he’s in appropriate distance even though he’s a superhuman, agile mutant – because as it has been said before: one push of a button, one animation. If the old habits of TW2 come back – which happened to me, I admit – then it can look like this: Geralt will be too far away and he will cut air instead of his opponent, waiving his blade. While we’re at it I’ll mention that indeed, you can miss and it happens a lot if you don’t focus on fighting. Targeting is not as obvious as in previous installment and now we have to specify who we want to attack and even that doesn’t guarantee a successful attack. It’s still smooth and intuitive though. Of course, we’re then more prone to attacks and if one of the enemies has a ranged weapon – there’s high chance we get hit.

hiver

I think hiver is off his meds again.

I think youre an imbecile who sucks too much PR diarhea and would love to pretend its chocolate.

do you have anything else to add to the discussion other than those pathetic ad hominems?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom