Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
First person shooters: "Stop making everything so brown like Call of Duty, we want colors!"

Fantasy RPGs: "Stop making everything so colorful like World of Warcraft, we want brown!"

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
First person shooters: "Stop making everything so brown like Call of Duty, we want colors!"

Fantasy RPGs: "Stop making everything so colorful like World of Warcraft, we want brown!"

This is the negative effect of the integration of the post-apocer into the RPG scene. I've never wanted "darker" cRPGs, thats one of the reasons NWN 1 OC sucked so hard, man, did it lack... colour.

Edit: Wait... NWN 1 OC was trying to do post-apoc in a fantasy setting... ah, of course...

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
It's too colorful for my taste, I hoped it will look more like W1 then W2. Why the hell everything must look like a god damn cartoon this days?

When has fantasy rpg ever looked anything other than cartoony? If you're referring the the hideous, impractical, who the fuck thought of that, and why hasn't anyone shot him/her World of Warcraft single shoulder armour, then I fully agree with you, but if you just mean generally... can you please provide me with a list of historical non-cartoony fantasy RPGs that I can browse so I may be enlightened to your cause - hoping it's a list longer than The Witcher 1, which, itself, looks somewhat cartoony?...

Witcher-White-Wolf-Listings.jpg

WhiteGuts

Arcane
TW3 looks photorealistic if anything, not cartoony at all. Also, we've yet to see the most moody parts of the game, which I suspect will be the archipelago part of the world (if the soundtrack is any indication). Also, TW1 had plenty of colorful environments, like Vyzima's Trade Quarter.

A manly protagonist for a manly game, made for manly CRPG players.

Step back, Shepard. Geralt of Rivia needs to pull his horse cock out to take a piss.

3129143-shepard-waaaa2qrjs.gif

153mckw.png

Last edited:

MapMan

Arcane
It's too colorful for my taste, I hoped it will look more like W1 then W2. Why the hell everything must look like a god damn cartoon this days?
Xb3GVa6.jpg

Games with colorful graphics, with lush and vivid sceneries is what I yearned for for years. Seriously, you can't please the hivemind, either its too grimdark, too realistic or too colorful. Derp.

Perkel

Arcane
Well it looks a way better than DA:I turd.
Let's hope writing will be on same level as TW2 condifering it is open world game (which obviously creates problems for design)
Witcher 2 might be mediacorest RPG in therm of gameplay but story, factions, characterization and writing mainly is better than most of RPGs i played.

Though i fully expect that they thrown out dialog trees considering how rare they were in Tw2

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Games with colorful graphics, with lush and vivid sceneries is what I yearned for for years. Seriously, you can't please the hivemind, either its too grimdark, too realistic or too colorful. Derp.

Sorry bro, but the duller palette and less colorfoul aproach in the Witcher 1 suited the game, because it IS supposed to be grim and dark and what not.

Perkel

Arcane
Sorry bro, but the duller palette and less colorfoul aproach in the Witcher 1 suited the game, because it IS supposed to be grim and dark and what not.

Supposed to be ? Just because TW1 Vizima art style worked better with shitty weather it doesn't mean that city like Novigrad full of life merchant city would work in same way.

hiver

... wouldnt it be logical (logic is that stuff you make sandwiches off, codex) that all that big world with all those different areas and countries and stuffies would have different color palettes, as any locations or area demands and would be appropriate for it?

Let's hope writing will be on same level as TW2 condifering it is open world game (which obviously creates problems for design)
There really is no inherent problem for writing or design in the "open world" game, unless one intentionally makes it such. And isnt it supposed to be split into three big zones, instead of being one big continuous open world?

CD projekt seemed to have a good idea how to go about it, which is relatively simple and one of the obvious ones ... since Fallout. Execution might be messed up but thats another pair of shoes.

Perkel

Arcane
... wouldnt it be logical (logic is that stuff you make sandwiches off, codex) that all that big world with all those different areas and countries and stuffies would have different color palettes, as any locations or area demands and would be appropriate for it?

There really is no inherent problem for writing or design in the "open world" game, unless one intentionally makes it such. And isnt it supposed to be split into three big zones, instead of being one big continuous open world?

CD projekt seemed to have a good idea how to go about it, which is relatively simple and one of the obvious ones ... since Fallout. Execution might be messed up but thats another pair of shoes.

We don't know if it will be split. All things points that there won't be any split in sense of "level". Zones probably will be stylized to be different but still will be part of same worldspace.

But like i said we don't know that part fully.

Yes open world does create problems. First of all open world means player can go anywhere and most of the time from any direction they want. So in case of normal non open world game you could place NPC at gate to welcome player and thus move story.
In open world game you can't do that because player may go by back gate to city or find other means.

Which means few things. Instead of focusing all your power to do one scene right you need to handle different situations which in finite therm of power means something must be done quicker so something else may exist.

Yes open world games may have awesome writting but there are design problems that may downgrade writting or even quest design.

That is why i liked 2D open world rpgs. because nature of 2D isometric graphic you could focus only on important stuff and don't waste time on things like mouth animation or other stuff like that. Thanks to isometric style graphic you also had plain view on things which meant that you wouldn't loose time to look at shitty bucket for some unknown reason.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
If the combat is as bad as the second game then it won't matter if it's t3h biggest open world game of alllllllllllllllllllll tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The saturation in W2 was fucking insufferable, presumably to pierce the heavy blanket of the konsole krowd lowbrow apathy.

Here I think they hit a nice balance between that atrocity and maybe too muffled W1 (although the bit in the noon fields is still one of the most evocative vidyagame sceneries in my mind).

hiver

Yes open world does create problems.
Fallout.

First of all
Fallout.

open world means player
Fallout.

can go anywhere and most of the time from any direction they want.
Fallout.

So in case of
Fallout.

Fallout.
:drink:

non open world game you could place NPC at gate to welcome player and thus move story.
In open world game you can't do that because player may go by back gate to city or find other means.
That happens only if you design it like that intentionally and shoot yourself in the foot every step of the way.

Yes open world games may have awesome writing but there are design problems that may downgrade writing or even quest design.
As i said, only if you approach the design in a silly or stupid self defeating way, like copying what bethesda is doing - and they too learned from Fallout which improved their shit games into shit that doesnt stink that bad.

That is why i liked 2D open world rpgs. because nature of 2D isometric graphic you could focus only on important stuff and don't waste time on things like mouth animation or other stuff like that.
Well thats a different matter, of amount of art assets one has to create. - i thought you were speaking about story, main plot and C&C problems primarily. -

But as far as writing and quest or plot design is concerned there is no inherent difficulties to it in open world design.

Why can't CDPR be as progressive as Croteam?
because all Croats left potato land thousands of years ago so they dont have the brain power anymore? hah...

Last edited by a moderator:

Perkel

Arcane
I like how you can't acknowledge that creating art assets take its toll into game production.

This is why 2D isometric open world RPG will better than 3D ones.

Perkel

Arcane
If the combat is as bad as the second game then it won't matter if it's t3h biggest open world game of alllllllllllllllllllll tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime.

It will be upgraded Tw2 combat system. More animations more options so it should be as clunky as combat in TW2. Also geralt seems to move like a human instead of being two state dude (run, walk) + 8 directions.

I think it is safe to assume combat will be more or less mediacore.

hiver

I like how you can't acknowledge that creating art assets take its toll into game production.
It seems nobody reads the posts they are replying to anymore...

This is why 2D isometric open world RPG will better than 3D ones.
Depends, i would say thats a very generalist idea. Not every game is great.

Will be interesting to see if any of the game hype peddlers will dare ask is the game really an open world without any loading screens as they first marketed it or is it split into three separate zones as latest news about that were. After which nobody ever heard a pip about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom