Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

MasPingon

Arcane
man this sucks. can we have at least one videogame where supermodel tits and ass is not showed down our throats?

i just want to play a game, not have pussy dangling in front of me all the time. it's telling they can only sell their game with sex appeal.

HOMO Detected.

:killit:

Judging by your comment and emot icon you used, you are the one that likes butt trips.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Just reading Season of Storms. Sapek still got it, lot of fun. Kinda wish they would incorporate some references to it or characters into TW3.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
With "Twitcher 4: OMGCiri" now offically confirmed by the KKK, i am already looking forward to threads like "Geralt vs Ciri: which ass is better and why. Discuss!" as well as a Ciri/Andyman fanfic. +M

Darkzone

Arcane
Not necessary. Perhaps he likes women with a little more curves? Like Rubens.

:P nope, i'm gay. and i dont give a shit about witcher, just wanted to piss people off, since most posters here would go to war against SJW's if they saw handsome (possibly gay or bi) male in-game.

bottom line- i suck at trolling

Don't worry through exercise you refine your ability in trolling. And it is OK if you are a gay (happy) person or a homo, as long as it makes you happy and you don't appear in my bed. I have never played as a women, but one guy has said to me: "Look i play for 12h a game. And why should i watch the whole time a man's ass. It's kind of homo. Therefore i play as a women." I thought for a moment about this as i played Age of Conan and looked at the arse of my hero, but then i thought: "Oh nonsense. It's me." (Two different approaches and two different solutions.)
SWJ are only a problem if they force their marxist agenda upon others, with lies, bullshit and ignorance to facts. We all are different people and we should embrace our differences, not force others to become like one think others have to be. The Witcher is a bad example for a game where you could play as man or a women, because it is centered around Geralt and his adventures. But normally RPGs are a genre, where you could play as male or female. Only one classic good example in my memory, lets you play as a male only: Planescape Torment.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
one guy has said to me: "Look i play for 12h a game. And why should i watch the whole time a man's ass. It's kind of homo. Therefore i play as a women." I thought for a moment about this as i played Age of Conan and looked at the arse of my hero, but then i thought: "Oh nonsense. It's me."
Darkzone confirmed to be liking to watch his own ass.

MasPingon

Arcane
maxresdefault.jpg

Geralt is digusted with this discussion. He want you to live to BIS boards with this crap.

Darkzone

Arcane
With that:
Darkzone confirmed to be liking to watch his own ass.
Does not follow that:
What a homo.
Homos like to watch other men's asses. It only means, that i'm a self centered narcissist. And while many homos are narcissists, not all narcissists are homos. Therefore (narcissist != homo).
@Geralt
Put on some shirt, you look as gay as he-man, and don't come with: "hey look at my scars.".

hell bovine

Arcane
Not necessary. Perhaps he likes women with a little more curves? Like Rubens.

:P nope, i'm gay. and i dont give a shit about witcher, just wanted to piss people off, since most posters here would go to war against SJW's if they saw handsome (possibly gay or bi) male in-game.

bottom line- i suck at trolling

Don't worry through exercise you refine your ability in trolling. And it is OK if you are a gay (happy) person or a homo, as long as it makes you happy and you don't appear in my bed. I have never played as a women, but one guy has said to me: "Look i play for 12h a game. And why should i watch the whole time a man's ass. It's kind of homo. Therefore i play as a women." I thought for a moment about this as i played Age of Conan and looked at the arse of my hero, but then i thought: "Oh nonsense. It's me." (Two different approaches and two different solutions.)
SWJ are only a problem if they force their marxist agenda upon others, with lies, bullshit and ignorance to facts. We all are different people and we should embrace our differences, not force others to become like one think others have to be. The Witcher is a bad example for a game where you could play as man or a women, because it is centered around Geralt and his adventures. But normally RPGs are a genre, where you could play as male or female. Only one classic good example in my memory, lets you play as a male only: Planescape Torment.
The problem with Geralt is that he is a very... specific type, and while some people enjoy him, he is a turn off for others (bad pun intented). I mean look at Sapkowski: very popular in Poland, but didn't get far in the international market. And that's why I think CDProjekt are introducing Ciri now; it's a test run to see how the players react. If they get positive feedback, they'll probably get rid of G-boy in future games. They just want more sales, and, despite the crying from their current fan base, a pretty young blond bombshell slaying monsters could be a hit on the market. Just call her Buffy. ;)

Sodafish

Arcane
Do you mean depth of field? I'm pretty sure this game has it - as does most every game nowadays. Thankfully you can usually disable it.

No, it's more about the rendering altogether. Everything looks like plastic. DoF is fine (I disable it, but it's not outright offensive to me unless way overdone).

Destiny is the easiest example I can think of -- see this for example for the style (the above shots were examples of shitty lighting/contrast that hurts my eyes, my assumption is that they use it to hide textures but it could also just be that people love that look -- if online photographs are anything to go off of)

It's a stylistic thing, but this looks like it has an instagram hipster filter over it:

The colors are all kind of washed out, everything has orange or brown or tan and this weird blue on it (like a faded retro version of the orange/blue contrast), and everything looks like it's made of plastic. Just a pain on my eyes. I prefer the crisp look of things, and the Witcher games have a cleaner look that I can appreciate.

Destiny-Screenshot-1.jpg

It's trying to ape that cross-processed look that has become de rigueur in online photography circle(jerk)s; the name comes from the days of film where the "wrong" set of chemical processes are applied to develop a certain film stock.

However, the thing which really puts a strain on the eyes IMO - and something which has likewise become very commonplace now in games for some reason - is the colour dispersion effect. It is applied with an increasing gradient towards the edges of the frame; you can see it clearly on the building railings in the upper left and on the grass in the lower corners. It just makes everything look slightly blurry.

Data4

Arcane
I have never played as a women, but one guy has said to me: "Look i play for 12h a game. And why should i watch the whole time a man's ass. It's kind of homo. Therefore i play as a women."

I'm convinced that the people with that attitude are really closet fags who DO get turned on by a man's ass (as well as being a reality-bent psychomotherfucker for letting a computer generated caricature turn them on), and are just scared that if the truth came out that they jack off over their bros' Facebook selfies, they'd get their asses kicked.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's trying to ape that cross-processed look that has become de rigueur in online photography circle(jerk)s; the name comes from the days of film where the "wrong" set of chemical processes are applied to develop a certain film stock.

However, the thing which really puts a strain on the eyes IMO - and something which has likewise become very commonplace now in games for some reason - is the colour dispersion effect. It is applied with an increasing gradient towards the edges of the frame; you can see it clearly on the building railings in the upper left and on the grass in the lower corners. It just makes everything look slightly blurry.

I love when you lower the settings on a game to save some frames and the game ends up looking better, because what you turned off was bullshit processing effects that make the game look blurry and fucked up.

Cadmus

Arcane
I have never played as a women, but one guy has said to me: "Look i play for 12h a game. And why should i watch the whole time a man's ass. It's kind of homo. Therefore i play as a women."

I'm convinced that the people with that attitude are really closet fags who DO get turned on by a man's ass (as well as being a reality-bent psychomotherfucker for letting a computer generated caricature turn them on), and are just scared that if the truth came out that they jack off over their bros' Facebook selfies, they'd get their asses kicked.
I totally agree.

I love when you lower the settings on a game to save some frames and the game ends up looking better, because what you turned off was bullshit processing effects that make the game look blurry and fucked up.
Yes, I always turn off Depth of Field, motion blur and all these fucking shits, even anti-aliasing (because my PC can't handle it most of the time but I still need to play in lower resolution) and it results in the game being crisper.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert

Or whether you play as a man, woman, goblin or an alien monster doesn't really mean anything, no matter what Freud says.

Darkzone

Arcane
What you missed is his statement of 'It kind of Homo". But since you feel attacked, it might be that you have a certain fear and i have to ask you: Are you a Homo?
This is about two dimensional choices. What a person likes to see and how he insert himself as the protagonist. If a person does not identify himself with the figure, then it is totally unimportant what he plays. And if this is unimportant then he plays what he enjoys to see.

Or whether you play as a man, woman, goblin or an alien monster doesn't really mean anything, no matter what Freud says.
In most cases i would agree, but not in all. It is difficult. In the witcher world it would be alienating for me. But i Tomb Raiders i have no problem, despite i never played them (perhaps this is also the reason why i never played Tomb Raider).
It seems that if i have choice, then i play always a male. This might be the reason why i support the choice to play a male or a female in games.

DeepOcean

Arcane
In most cases i would agree, but not in all. It is difficult. In the witcher world it would be alienating for me. But i Tomb Raiders i have no problem, despite i never played them (perhaps this is also the reason why i never played Tomb Raider).
It seems that if i have choice, then i play always a male. This might be the reason why i support the choice to play a male or a female in games.

It is more than personal taste and player habits here, never, ever, ever force someone to play with another character after you spending 90% of the time with other character. That part on Witcher 2 where you don't play as Geralt was absolutely jarring, I couldn't wait to that bullshit to stop and I return to play the game. I hated that shit because the game didn't stabilished that playing with other characters would happen since the start so the feeling I had was that the train just made a sudden full stop and I were thrown out of the window when that bullshit started, especially as there was absolutely no storyline reason for that. If they plan to make you play as Ciri, her storyline must be really, really important, she must do something that Geralt couldn't really do so there is a decent reason for we to play with her and a good chunk of the game must be given to her since the BEGINNING.

Cadmus

Arcane

It is more than personal taste and player habits here, never, ever, ever force someone to play with another character after you spending 90% of the time with other character. That part on Witcher 2 where you don't play as Geralt was absolutely jarring, I couldn't wait to that bullshit to stop and I return to play the game. I hated that shit because the game didn't stabilished that playing with other characters would happen since the start so the feeling I had was that the train just made a sudden full stop and I were thrown out of the window when that bullshit started, especially as there was absolutely no storyline reason for that. If they plan to make you play as Ciri, her storyline must be really, really important, she must do something that Geralt couldn't really do so there is a decent reason for we to play with her and a good chunk of the game must be given to her since the BEGINNING.
I liked playing as Henselth and kicking the dragon hero girl in the cunt, it felt really badass. The ghost battle part was just fucking horrible though, because it while Henselth heavy and slow movement fit the character and felt cool because you still could pwn someone, the same shit in the combat mission was unbearable and annoying and served no good story purpose if I remember correctly.

pippin

I think the writer's intentions are more of a dealbreaker for me when it comes to characterization. Geralt is cool because you don't feel guilty when asking for compensation for your tasks; most of the times that's the "you're a greedy bastard" option in rpgs, and in the grand scheme of things, it's quite obvious that 90% of the writers don't want you to be the greedy bastard (becase being straight evil is not a matter of discussion). And that's one detail. Gender or sex don't really bother me, it's nice to spend certain ammounts of time watching a girl jogging in yoga pants, but I'm not "intimidated" by the opposite. Lara Croft is as cool as Duke Nukem.

That said, I do like some "flavor" here and there:

19:00

Darkzone

Arcane
I also hate this. I hope they uses this as a mean to show you what happend in the past and to give you a background, which normally Geralt would have had and not the player. You know like one of the trailers to TW3, a story strand within a stroy.

Data4

Arcane
What you missed is his statement of 'It kind of Homo". But since you feel attacked, it might be that you have a certain fear and i have to ask you: Are you a Homo?
This is about two dimensional choices. What a person likes to see and how he insert himself as the protagonist. If a person does not identify himself with the figure, then it is totally unimportant what he plays. And if this is unimportant then he plays what he enjoys to see.

Not even going to remotely accept your premise. In the end, a person should play what he likes. If he likes the sight of a computer generated caricature's female ass, then by all means go for it. But to explain away the preference by calling looking at a computer generated caricature's male ass as "kind of homo" speaks of some kind of latent feeling. Stop staring at the ass and start paying attention to the game. If the eyes are drawn to the ass, the person playing is probably "kind of homo" and not the act of playing a male avatar. How come thousands-- hundreds of thousands of male players, if not millions-- can play a male character and not feel the slightest bit of any sort of sexual feeling, whether it be attraction or disgust in lieu of attraction from being in the closet?

Ninjerk

Arcane
Do players who prefer playing behind a "female ass" know that the character isn't a real person...?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom