Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Still looks a million times better then Dragon Turd 3.
The decline happens on so many fronts, you can't always win. W3 will look better because art direction and scabbards. Seriously, it has scabbards - we all know it's a pinnacle of RPG advancement.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

Just because one turd is lumpier than the other doesn't mean it won't smell.
I don't know, I can appreciate a good looking turd in a way. It takes some effort, skill and dedication. Unlike running diarrhea.

In games as with turds, greatness is not achieved without suffering.

The decline happens on so many fronts, you can't always win. W3 will look better because art direction and scabbards. Seriously, it has scabbards - we all know it's a pinnacle of RPG advancement.

Credit where it's due: It's tricky to make sure blades don't clip through the scabbard at any point during every animation. Especially if upper/lower body animations are separate.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'd definitely say gameplay trumps gfx everytime.

So would i. But that is not the point. The problem is that games don't look as good as they should, because of those fucking consoles. In the old days, the argument was about gameplay or whatever vs graphics because resources were limited and you often had to chose between one and the other. Now there is no choice either way. Games have shit gameplay because modern developers are just as stupid as the people they make games for, and they also have shit graphics because of the limits of console hardware, and Codexers are fine with the latter because they are still stuck in the mindset that they have to somehow prove how much they don't care about graphics, as if this was still 1998.

Personally, i think this whole issue with companies downgrading the graphics of their games can be pretty useful to win over a lot of people back to this platform, if only developers were to downgrade their shit only for the console version.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
In games as with turds, greatness is not achieved without suffering.

Credit where it's due: It's tricky to make sure blades don't clip through the scabbard at any point during every animation. Especially if upper/lower body animations are separate.
This is decline - not investing time to add character and depth to graphics, but going for next-gen gimmicks.

I can't compute the lack of basic body/clothing/gear details while showing epic fights with dragons.

Scabbards/webbing aren't details - these are gear elements required to carry your character's basic tools.

Skyrim modding shows all of that shit is possible to achieve by amateurs.

(in b4 animated genitals)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Personally, i think this whole issue with companies downgrading the graphics of their games can be pretty useful to win over a lot of people back to this platform, if only developers were to downgrade their shit only for the console version.

But if they downgraded their shit so it is painfully obvious consoles get an inferior product, MS/Sony will be butthertz @ them. From a developers standpoint, it's better to abuse the PC. She's proven time and again she'll come crawling back no matter how badly they mistreat her.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
I'd definitely say gameplay trumps gfx everytime.

So would i. But that is not the point. The problem is that games don't look as good as they should, because of those fucking consoles. In the old days, the argument was about gameplay or whatever vs graphics because resources were limited and you often had to chose between one and the other. Now there is no choice either way. Games have shit gameplay because modern developers are just as stupid as the people they make games for, and they also have shit graphics because of the limits of console hardware, and Codexers are fine with the latter because they are still stuck in the mindset that they have to somehow prove how much they don't care about graphics, as if this was still 1998.

It's not been proven that they have. Granted the evidence doesn't look too good, but that sunset screenie has been cherry picked obviously, which is no different to any other company and engines usually look different, from 'another angle' anyway. They've sworn blind that they haven't touched the gfx, on PC anyway, and they're not idiotic enough to think that they could get away with lying without being found out, and they also know fine well that if they do get found out that they're in for a rep shitting bruhaha.. I don't see what they have to gain, but they've everything to lose.

Has anyone bothered to try to get this addressed on CDP's site yet, it would certainly look as if there is some explanation necessary but it's doing no good just keeping the bitching confined to this site, spread the hate around and get an answer.

TBH though getting apoplectic over this issue isn't going to do any good, it's 'industry' and when did anyone 'win' against that and an arguement of 'console this/console that' is a bit redundant these days. Console bashing doesn't win any points any more, actually it's quite the opposite, it reflects worse on the arguer because of how obvious the arguement is.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
(...)
I don't know, I can appreciate a good looking turd in a way. It takes some effort, skill and defecation. Unlike running diarrhea.
Fixed.

As for the delay, even if it's not the last one I won't care as long as it will be at least as good as Witcher 2. IMO CD Projekt Red has released better games than anything Piranha Bytes has and Gothic (1 and 2) are one of the best action RPGs there are.

pippin

Having scabbards makes want to have sword maintenance as a gameplay mechanic. Make the whetstones and sword grease to be something that affects the durability of your blades (especially low tier weapons) and not only as a damage modifier.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
At least the potatos were honest enough to say "game is not playable in it's current form", instead of claiming to just give it a little more polish.. woohaaa lame pun. Then releasing a 3gb day1patch.
You have to give them a little credit for that.

At least the potatos were honest enough to say "game is not playable in it's current form", instead of claiming to just give it a little more polish.. woohaaa lame pun. Then releasing a 3gb day1patch.
You have to give them a little credit for that.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/th...ry-2015-for-xbox-one-ps4-and-pc/1100-6418237/

We could have released the game towards the end of this year as we had initially planned

In March 2014 they claimed game is playable and could be released in November :M I wonder how much of initial PR bullshit(bigger than Skyrim, 36 times bigger than TW2, +100hours storyline) will be just smoke and mirrors.

I will probably wait for an Enhanced Edition in 2016 :smug:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
CDP have done good by their computer customers through the years, supporting their games with updates and improvements, so they at least deserve more good will than most developers.

That being said, they have been obnoxiously over hyping this game for ages

pippin

In March 2014 they claimed game is playable and could be released in November :M I wonder how much of initial PR bullshit(bigger than Skyrim, 36 times bigger than TW2, +100hours storyline) will be just smoke and mirrors.

I'm looking forward to send Ciri to 8-hour long missions :smug:

If they need to delay so be it, jesus what a bunch of whiny cunts. Why is that even important if they can predict precisely when it's gonna be ready? It's not like they're delaying it by few years. Go waste your time on thousands of other games out there, you useless twats.

I'm looking forward to send Ciri to 8-hour long missions :smug:
I hope Ciri will not be playable. Fuck off with that angry edgy teenage cunt.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Decline is decline, doesn't matter what you personally care about. This is what you don't seem to get. Actually, you have internalized the "gameplay is king" mantra to such a degree that you are now making it a point of honor to show how much you don't care about the graphics, and thus missing the point entirely, the point being that this is yet another form of decline, precisely.

Oh fucking horseshit. The obsession with better graphics, movie quality animations and endless detail in the worlds is a big fucking factor in the overall decline of gaming. The more money you spend making the shit look pretty the less money you spend on design, writing, controls and quality assurance. The more money you spend on graphics and cinematics the more goober assholes you have to get to buy your game, which means dumbing that shit down for the masses. The more complex you make your visuals and world geometry the more can go wrong with it, leading to endless uncanny valley moments.

Focusing on graphics is the opposite of incline, you tit.

Cadmus

Arcane
I don't care about any delays in the slightest. It happened the same way with D:OS and Wasteland 2 (I think?) and will be the same with PoE and all the other games. When it comes to CDP, half of this forum becomes a mass of sperging retards for some reason.

I hope the game looks pretty, too. It's not like we had any actual pretty RPG in the last what, 10-15 years? Morrowind was nice when it came out, Oblivion kinda pushed the systems but now it looks shitty due to the lack of art direction. Look at the fucking Wasteland 2, it's absolutely disgusting. D:OS - a shitty cartoon art. Not even mentioning the other titles. Maybe LoG 1 and 2 look great. Maybe MMX, too.

I want a really pretty RPG, dunno why we aren't allowed to talk about this.

Murk

Arcane
Huh? Not allowed? Who's stopping you?

If the game looks like Witcher 2, it will still be better than half the shit out. If it looks better, then great. And thank god CDP has stuck to a clean look and hasn't adopted that hideous filtered "everything looks like instagram" look that games like Destiny and DA:I have.

Seriously, what is up with contrast in games these days?

2484489-dai_f.jpg

This one is from a vid, so blurry, but look at that brightness.

dragon-age-in.jpg

Ughh

Athelas

Arcane
Do you mean depth of field? I'm pretty sure this game has it - as does most every game nowadays. Thankfully you can usually disable it.

Murk

Arcane
Do you mean depth of field? I'm pretty sure this game has it - as does most every game nowadays. Thankfully you can usually disable it.

No, it's more about the rendering altogether. Everything looks like plastic. DoF is fine (I disable it, but it's not outright offensive to me unless way overdone).

Destiny is the easiest example I can think of -- see this for example for the style (the above shots were examples of shitty lighting/contrast that hurts my eyes, my assumption is that they use it to hide textures but it could also just be that people love that look -- if online photographs are anything to go off of)

It's a stylistic thing, but this looks like it has an instagram hipster filter over it:

The colors are all kind of washed out, everything has orange or brown or tan and this weird blue on it (like a faded retro version of the orange/blue contrast), and everything looks like it's made of plastic. Just a pain on my eyes. I prefer the crisp look of things, and the Witcher games have a cleaner look that I can appreciate.

Destiny-Screenshot-1.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom