Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Expansion Thread

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Re Ciri "W" ending:

I think the whole Ciri = Witcher thing is more of her assuming the title / role of a Witcher rather than becoming one in its entirety.

She has magic blood powers that make her stronger than (I imagine at least, I haven't read the books) Geralt so I'd assume she's more than qualified to cut down monsters. Not too sure how the tracking them or healing instantaneously without potions would work, though.
If you meet her in Blood & Wine, she shows you her latest witcher trophy and tells about how her witcher life, which includes running away from angry hounds and drinking Black Blood, so it seems it's meant to be taken quite literally. Healing is the big issue, as even a single "ordinary" wound might kill her. She also lacks the immunity of witchers, making infections and diseases even more of a risk when fighting monsters. Then there's of course the matter of aging — actual witchers may stick around for centuries if they're not killed in combat before that, but Ciri will start to seriously slow down after a couple of decades. What will she do when she's forty or fifty?

Then there's of course the minor problem of still having to run and try to somehow keep her identity in secret. Yeah, Emhyr and everyone else will definitely not care one bit about the ashen-haired witcher girl that is known to be roaming around the continent.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Re Ciri "W" ending:

I think the whole Ciri = Witcher thing is more of her assuming the title / role of a Witcher rather than becoming one in its entirety.

She has magic blood powers that make her stronger than (I imagine at least, I haven't read the books) Geralt so I'd assume she's more than qualified to cut down monsters. Not too sure how the tracking them or healing instantaneously without potions would work, though.
If you meet her in Blood & Wine, she shows you her latest witcher trophy and tells about how her witcher life, which includes running away from angry hounds and drinking Black Blood, so it seems it's meant to be taken quite literally. Healing is the big issue, as even a single "ordinary" wound might kill her. She also lacks the immunity of witchers, making infections and diseases even more of a risk when fighting monsters. Then there's of course the matter of aging — actual witchers may stick around for centuries if they're not killed in combat before that, but Ciri will start to seriously slow down after a couple of decades. What will she do when she's forty or fifty?

Then there's of course the minor problem of still having to run and try to somehow keep her identity in secret. Yeah, Emhyr and everyone else will definitely not care one bit about the ashen-haired witcher girl that is known to be roaming around the continent.

Great points, you definitely thought about it more than I did.

Which bit of B&W do you meet her? I made her Empress in my last playthrough and I'm pretty sure I did all of the quests I could in B&W also. Didn't see her, though.

Tytus

Arcane
Re Ciri "W" ending:

Great points, you definitely thought about it more than I did.

Which bit of B&W do you meet her? I made her Empress in my last playthrough and I'm pretty sure I did all of the quests I could in B&W also. Didn't see her, though.

The person you meet in B&W is on a tier system.

Tier 1 is your love interest - if you romanced Triss or Yen they will apear.
Tier 2 is when you romanced no one (or romanced both) and Ciri is alive she will apear either as a Witcher or an Empress in training (she was sent as en envoy to Toussaint)
Tier 3 is when you didn't have a romance option and either you didn't finish the game or Ciri is dead, Dandelion will apper.

You can meet them at your home. When you finish the main story Regis tells you he left you a gift by your bed. When you return home, you will meet the Triss, Yen, Ciri or Dandelion.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
She shows up after the main quest of B&W if you didn't romance anyone in the main game.

yeah i duno why cdp is being stingy with the social aspect.
this is the last goodbye, why not have everyone visit?

Perkel

Arcane
Yep. HoS had a fantastic story to round off Witcher 3's less than stellar offering of the vanilla main quest.

B&W is just average and not really worth the money.

B&W is vanilla 2.0.

there are shitload of sidequest that are waaay better than main story of that expansion. B&W is worth of just for those sidequests.

Frozen

Arcane
yeah i duno why cdp is being stingy with the social aspect.
this is the last goodbye, why not have everyone visit?

Don't know could modders do it-all content is there just put it to trigger mid game if requirements are met.

imweasel

Finally got around to finishing the OC. Best thing about the game is obviously banging Triss. Worst thing about it is the "open world" hiking simulator bullshit, which fucks up the pacing and the atmosphere. Enjoyable, but with many faults and rather repetitive with a lot of filler. Gameplay isn't that great, but I gave them extra points because of the effort they put into cutscenes and writing. On par with TW2, but worse than TW1 despite the shiny graphics. Hopefully both of the DLC expansions are better. 6.8/10
  • Combat is kinda meh.
  • Story is kinda meh (CDPR probably just copy-pasted some fan fiction I guess).
  • Some side quests are excellent with very good writing. The entire Baron quest line incl. the Crones is the best in the game by FAR.
  • Character writing of Geralt, Triss and Yennefer is excellent.
  • Itemization is shit. Even Bethesda can do this better and they suck at everything.
  • Armor and weapon crafting is SHIT. Why does CDPR think it is a good idea to include DOZENS of recipes, although only Witcher Gear is even worth crafting?
  • WAY too many crafting materials. CDPR went completely haywire on this, holy fuck. There are about 250 different crafting materials for gear and alchemy in the game (I counted them).
  • Way too much fucking filler, nobody wants to visit 100+ question marks on the map to find some mundane "treasure" for the umpteenth time.
  • GAZILLIONS of fucking containers with tons of garbage - but you have to loot them all, otherwise you might miss a valuable alchemy recipe.
  • No money sink.

Last edited by a moderator:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
No money sink
Well, then go and buy Hearts of Stone if you didn't already.
That runesmith has some pretty nice upgrades if you can at least pay 15K for the first two tiers.
Some of them have interesting new mechanics too.

Atm I'm spreading havoc with both swords enchanted with that lvl 2 whirlwind and rend radius increasing one ... called severance in English (am playing with German text and English subs - Nilfgaardians are more bearable that way, children voices are just as annoyingly fake as in German though).
And with entanglement (also lvl 2), which introduces a very welcome feature for Yrden traps, wouldn't wanna fight another one of those slippery arachnid buggers without it.

I fully agree on too many different alchemy and crafting ingredients and too many recipes.
In the end all these weapons are just the same level-scaled damage dealers and it seems most enemies are vulnerable to most of the status effects you can inflict so bringing special weapons is useless.

And I also think that they invested too much time and resources in placing notes and letters in many of these filler content question mark locations.
Is there anyone here who actually reads all that shit that is only associated with some body lying nearby?
I mean before I experienced it myself I would have thought that handplacing such stuff and the scene to support the narrative in the note/letter would be a nice feature but now it only seems like a band-aid to cover up the emptiness of that open world. As long as there isn't a char involved that I can interact with or some riddle I'm expected to solve I don't care about all that text they put in there, sorry.
When I find a body washed ashore with a letter in its pocket, which hints to some treasure I might be able to find if I find the wreck of his ship, then why is the treasure always worthless trash and why do they point me to the location of the wreck with quest markers? There's nothing to earn and even that doesn't feel earned if I find it.
Shitty design there.

Also why is the sword Crach gives me in a nearly ceremonial fashion some levelscaled junk I can throw away immediately? WTF?!!! :argh:

All in all I must say that while I accept the vastness and emptiness of the game world as a necessity to make distances feel plausible (mountain ranges are still laughably tiny but it's miles above the competition - except for the much better approach in Fallout 1 and 2 of course but I guess that's too abstract for modern audiences) the follow the quest compass behavior needed to not get lost in such a huge-ass world leads to rote gameplay. And seriously, you need that quest compass. Who would want to follow directions for a hundred different quests if it isn't even fun to do so in the real world? Witcher sense still makes it more bearable than Skyrim though.

Mainstory might be fanfiction level of dumbness but it's still expertly told.
Ciri Geralt reunion got me teary-eyed, that shit was beautiful.
:love:
And while Vesemir sacrifice was one overlong hero cliché trip they still hit all the right notes so I felt sad there.

Last edited:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Okay this sucks.
I just got the tied to the bed scene so I guess Yen and Triss are both mad at me.
I only shagged Triss though so wtf?! :argh:
Of course I told Yen something nice like that I'm still not over her or whatever but that's only natural. I mean they have history and she's hawt right?
So I chose the "I don't feel like anything changed either" answer (the written choice doesn't really match what he says after but whatever, it's just words) in the dialogue after defeating the djinn.
But I didn't have sex with her on the unicorn damnit! :outrage:

So what do these jealous bitches tie me to that bed for ffs?!!!

I want my money back, this waifu relationship simulator sucks!
:rpgcodex:
:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Okay this sucks.
I just got the tied to the bed scene so I guess Yen and Triss are both mad at me.
Of course I told Yen something nice like that I'm still not over her or whatever but that's only natural. I mean they have history and she's hawt right?
So I chose the "I don't feel like anything changed either" answer (the written choice doesn't really match what he says after but whatever, it's just words) in the dialogue after defeating the djinn.
But I didn't have sex with her on the unicorn damnit! :outrage:

So what do these jealous bitches tie me to that bed for ffs?!!!

I want my money back, this waifu relationship simulator sucks!
:rpgcodex:
:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

Bitches doin crazy shit from jealousy....seems like the simulation is as authentic as in real life(not a bug).

imweasel

And I also think that they invested too much time and resources in placing notes and letters in many of these filler content question mark locations.
Is there anyone here who actually reads all that shit that is only associated with some body lying nearby?
I mean before I experienced it myself I would have thought that handplacing such stuff and the scene to support the narrative in the note/letter would be a nice feature but now it only seems like a band-aid to cover up the emptiness of that open world. A
I never read that stuff either. The game has very good content, but also tons of shitty filler, just so that they can say TW3 is a 100+ hour game.

Okay this sucks.
You can actually bang both Triss and Yennefer and not have both of them break up with you. I did. :D Anyway, you have to choose one of the girls when the corresponding options come up (i.e. only tell one girl that you "love her" and break up with the other one), otherwise you will be doomed to be forever alone.

Yennefer is also really hot, but I chose Triss. My Geralt just can't resist that ginger hair, hot ass and sweet voice. She is also a lot sweeter and more sentimental.

:martini:

I'd trade all of them lays for an interdimensional train ticket with ashen hair. What's a threesome if you can chase down space whales and fight cyborgs anytime you want.

though
latest

Red Rogue

Learned
Hey Codex, just have a quick question. I recently completed "Deadly Plot". Little surprised right now because Djikstra hyped me up for some classic political intrigue and now the entire plotline seems to be on ice. Just wanted to get some confirmation that this will be continued at some point? I sure hope so because I was interested.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Re Ciri "W" ending:

I thought about all this as well.

However:
Thing is, she could always undergo the mutations now that Yen knows how to perform the trial of grasses.

Actually, the fact that she used the witcher's potion black blood without suffering horrible and permanent side effects would suggest that she has already undergone the trial. (though I never read the books, so it could be that her blood confers some sort of immunity to witcher potion side-effects - though that would make her just as effectively super human as a withcer, so maybe she can live a longer life too?)

As for her identity, I believe that Emhyr dies in the ending where Ciri is not the heir. There is also a time gap between her letting Geralt fake her death in the main quest ending and Geralt meeting her in B&W, so he may be long dead at this point. Emhyr is probably the only one that would care about her. The Wild Hunt is dead. Maybe if a mage knew about her blood and wanted to use it, but it doesn't seem like any were a problem during the main quest.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Thing is, she could always undergo the mutations now that Yen knows how to perform the trial of grasses.

Actually, the fact that she used the witcher's potion black blood without suffering horrible and permanent side effects would suggest that she has already undergone the trial. (though I never read the books, so it could be that her blood confers some sort of immunity to witcher potion side-effects - though that would make her just as effectively super human as a withcer, so maybe she can live a longer life too?)

As for her identity, I believe that Emhyr dies in the ending where Ciri is not the heir. There is also a time gap between her letting Geralt fake her death in the main quest ending and Geralt meeting her in B&W, so he may be long dead at this point. Emhyr is probably the only one that would care about her. The Wild Hunt is dead. Maybe if a mage knew about her blood and wanted to use it, but it doesn't seem like any were a problem during the main quest.
It'd be weird for her to go through the mutations now without anyone mentioning it, though. The whole process is extremely dangerous anyway, and done to a full-grown woman instead of a little boy like usual... Well, let's just say that the effects would be really hard to predict, and it'd be really hard to see either Geralt or Yennefer wanting to take that risk with Ciri, not to mention that with Vesemir gone they'd probably have no intention of going back to Kaer Morhen anymore. The games also use cat eyes as one visible side effect of the witcher mutations, and she doesn't have those in B&W nor in TW3's epilogue as far as I remember.

It is also possible for Ciri to end up being a witcher while Nilfgaard wins and Emhyr lives. It happened on my first playthrough. It's also probaly not true that everyone but Emhyr would just forget about her, as the Lodge is still interested in her, and she's still the heiress to a bunch of different places, making her a dream bride for several rulers. The books are more elaborate about it, I guess, and it's plausible that some of the interest would've waned with the passage of time and a bloody war or two, but it still doesn't seem quite that simple for her to just become nobody in an instant.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Carrion
Eh, it's not like there is an Internet or anything. Just because a few peasants are talking about an ashen haired witcher woman doesn't mean armies are going to mobilize in search of her. Emhyr living means he doesn't need her for the moment. The whole reason he sought her out was that he needed her so that he could abdicate and quell the unrest due to his many wars. If he has won and his regime is stable, he has little need of her for the moment.

The lodge's main interest in her - in this game at least - was having the ear of a soon to be empress.

But yeah, she could be hunted down eventually by someone - that could happen even if she were an empress in training. She ends up at the villa regardless - not exactly Fort Knox.

As for her having undergone the mutations, you still haven't explained her ability to use the very intense tier witcher potion black blood with no side effects. I would think it would kill a normal human.

And just because she doesn't have cat eyes in the game and no one mentioned her undergoing the mutations doesn't mean she hasn't. It's a game and her inclusion was just a nice Easter egg for players. They could have left some details to your imagination. For example, don't you think it's weird that she is still wearing the same clothes - even in the empress ending? Details, details.

I would find it kind of weird that people would think she was a freak - even not wanting her to drink from their well - if she didn't have some visible sign of mutations, but then peasants are as peasants do. It could be that they will hate anyone that even identifies as a witcher, but I still find it quite a stretch.

Still, I think she might have undergone the mutations - or perhaps some altered form of them of Yen's devising - and the game just didn't show any evidence of this. Relying on the dialog and the players' own ability to work it out instead.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
As for her having undergone the mutations, you still haven't explained her ability to use the very intense tier witcher potion black blood with no side effects. I would think it would kill a normal human.
I do have an explanation, a very simple one actually: it's a lore fuckup. It's a much more acceptable explanation than her having gone through these extremely dangerous mutations behind the scenes without anyone mentioning them at any point. I'd actually find it much more problematic if Geralt and Yennefer, after all their effort and struggles, would willingly subject their only child to life-threatening mutations with a 70% mortality rate (that is, in the case of little boys — Ciri as a grown woman, so who knows how her body would react to them?), especially with Vesemir dead, Kaer Morhen abandoned and the whole witcher school pretty much dead. Explaining that would take a lot more effort than just accepting that a writer made a mistake and moving on.

The potion, the well, the hounds and the vampire head that she dragged along all the way from another province are just tools for showing that she's really "living the witcher life", further reinforcing the ending of the base game. I don't think you should read too much into all that.

Then again, it's a sign of the writers doing something right if the players are willing to fill in some gaps themselves by inventing stuf that isn't there.

Red Rogue

Learned
Anyone ever notice that Geralt NEVER refers to himself? Even a step further he seldom uses pronouns in general.

"Don't know what to do next" instead of "I don't know what to do next"
"Went that way" instead of "He went that way"

I'm not complaining or anything it just stands out to me.

Could be because the writers were Polish, in Polish verbs conjugate depending on person.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom