Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

Sentinel

Arcane
I'm not sure the NMM works for Witcher 3. Anyway, the game is quite mod friendly. Installing manually is just a matter of creating a "mods" folder inside the game's root folder (GalaxyClient\Games\The Witcher 3, or Steamapps\Common\The Witcher 3), and then pasting the mod there. Organization isn't hard since all the mods are contained there, and you usually only have to copy paste a folder (like "modScabbards" for a scabbard mod, or "modTurbolighting" for the enhanced Lighting mod, "modAutoApplyOils", etc) and it just works.

v1rus

Arcane
Finally started playing it.

Now, the HUD is annoying as fuck, since I feel like its distracting from beautiful sights.

Made it as small as possible and removed that control scheme and additional inventory. What should I remove next?

Was thinking about quest markers, etc, since I dont want to spend 90% of the game staring at the map, but I dont wanna miss any quests :/

Sentinel

Arcane
Remove the undiscovered PoI from the map and for all that his holy do not go collecting them obsessively. There's huge amounts of them and they're 99% filler with worthless loot.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Remove the undiscovered PoI from the map and for all that his holy do not go collecting them obsessively. There's huge amounts of them and they're 99% filler with worthless loot.
Yes. The points of interest also distract you from actually exploring the world, as the truly interesting stuff (like side quests) is pretty much always located outside of the PoI's. If you just mechanically go from one question mark to another, you'll probably miss out on most of the good stuff.

I wouldn't advise turning off quest markers since the game is very much designed around them, and using in-game directions only works in some quests.

Falksi

Arcane
It's not instructive enough to do without quest markers sadly, nowhere near.
Such a shame that modern gaming has decided to ditch organic exploration, in favour of quest markers & suchlike.

thesoup

Arcane
Bunnyhop advised removing the minimap from the HUD so you don't end up staring at just that 90% of your traveling time.

Sykar

Arcane
Yes. The points of interest also distract you from actually exploring the world, as the truly interesting stuff (like side quests) is pretty much always located outside of the PoI's. If you just mechanically go from one question mark to another, you'll probably miss out on most of the good stuff.

I wouldn't advise turning off quest markers since the game is very much designed around them, and using in-game directions only works in some quests.

I turned the markers off and only when I really needed them did I turn them back on to see where I had to go to turn them off. Yes it was a hassel but worth it for me.
I hate quest markers with a burning passion, the less I see of them the better.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Finally started playing it.

Now, the HUD is annoying as fuck, since I feel like its distracting from beautiful sights.

Made it as small as possible and removed that control scheme and additional inventory. What should I remove next?

Was thinking about quest markers, etc, since I dont want to spend 90% of the game staring at the map, but I dont wanna miss any quests :/

When I played I used mod that hid minimap and quest info, and only showed them when using Witcher sense. It was perfect. Immersive HUD or something was it called I think.

Also, get Immersive Cam with its submods. Improves controls and bunch of cool stuff.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
Bunnyhop advised removing the minimap from the HUD so you don't end up staring at just that 90% of your traveling time.
I can confirm that removing the minimap enhances the exploration IMMENSIVELY. With the minimap, your brain makes you stare at the minimap, not the game.

Danikas

Arcane
>when you have to play on medium settings :negative:

And someone said that tw2 looks better :shredder:
qKRC5Y.png
wTSwRq.png
GTlbeZ.png
5pUKay.png
eWYyvj.png
O5u5Yo.png

Falksi

Arcane
I can confirm that removing the minimap enhances the exploration IMMENSIVELY. With the minimap, your brain makes you stare at the minimap, not the game.

That for me highlights just how much this game relies on visual aesthetics for any sense of depth & exploration. And thus how little actual substance there is to a lot of areas.

Tw3 legit blows tw2 out of the water in graphic fidelity. It's not even funny how lifelike the characters and their animations are.

It blows TW2 out of the water in everything. Combat, graphics, world, scope and size, exploration, etc. It's like comparing Baldur's Gate and Jade Empire.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
W2 has better story, backgrounds and characters. The story structure and pacing in W3 is retarded and nothing from the previous games is really brought up in the third one.

W2 has better story, backgrounds and characters. The story structure and pacing in W3 is retarded and nothing from the previous games is really brought up in the third one.

What are you talking about? Nothing? The whole war between Nilfgaard and Redania which is the centerpiece of W3 emerges out of what happened in W1 and W2. The stuff between Radovid and Phillipa? The Baronness from W2? Letter from Alvin/De Jaquesberg in Novigrad? Pretty much every character from W1 and W2 who hasn't died coming back in W3? The letter from Azar Javed in the troll cave in Kaer Morhen? Did you even play the game?

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
What are you talking about? Nothing? The whole war between Nilfgaard and Redania which is the centerpiece of W3 emerges out of what happened in W1 and W2. The stuff between Radovid and Phillipa? The Baronness from W2? Letter from Alvin/De Jaquesberg in Novigrad? Pretty much every character from W1 and W2 who hasn't died coming back in W3? The letter from Azar Javed in the troll cave in Kaer Morhen? Did you even play the game?
You are talking about minor shit that could be implemented without previous games existing in the first place. No matter what you do in the previous games, W3 looks the same every single time except minor "wink wink" or 2 minute long quest with Letho that later swings a sword for a while for you. Not to mention that the politics in W3 pretty much disregard whatever you did in W1 and W2, like siding with Iorveth or not, helping Saskia or not (ie. the biggest shit you could do in W2), etc. Everything of importance that the player could decide in W2 is pretty much discarded in W3, which is a self-sufficient story. It doesn't need W1 or W2.
It also does not change the fact that 90% of the game is "follow Ciri, rescue Dandelion, follow Ciri again".***
- Hey, did you see X?
- Yeah, but first you need to do me a favor.
- Ok.
Rinse and repeat.

imo only reason to dislike w3 is if you are maximum edgelord or an extremely self-hating pole
I do not dislike W3, for the record. Stating the obvious.

*** The fact that 60% of the game could be literally skipped if the most basic common sense would be applied is insulting. After meeting with Yennefer, she sends us to Velen saying "yeah, we have promising lead there, go there! I will go to Skellige to investigate a nuclear blast out of nowhere - oh, I think it might be Ciri. Join me after you slog through a content that has absolutely no weight on the main plot of Ciri."

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I think it speaks for the game that I could name a dozen or more annoyances but still consider it a very good game.

Falksi

Arcane
Think Gepeu's post is spot on. I'm enjoying Skellige, but the build up to getting there was on the whole boring bar the odd quest.
Now here's the really annoying thing, it's supposed to be a game driven by urgency. The initial intro and setup is all about the Wild Hunt tracking Ciri, and being a threat that Geralt is desperately trying to stay ahead of. What a fucking retarded premise to use as the base of a game which has you overloaded with quest after hunt after errand etc.
It's not long before any sense of urgency to stay in touch with the Wild Hunt dissipates, and many a time I found myself thinking "oh yeah, that supposed ever growing threat, meh forgot about that".
TW3 has great elements, very poorly put together just to appease this fashion of Open World gaming. It needs to be trimmed by around 1/3 IMO.

Sentinel

Arcane
I think the game suffered from cuts that would have greatly helped the Velen/Novigrad slog. IIRC, Eredin and the Wild Hunt were supposed to invade Novigrad halfway through the game, but they had to ditch the idea because framerate on consoles would dip to single digits.

Danikas

Arcane
I think the game suffered from cuts that would have greatly helped the Velen/Novigrad slog. IIRC, Eredin and the Wild Hunt were supposed to invade Novigrad halfway through the game, but they had to ditch the idea because framerate on consoles would dip to single digits.
There was supposed to be a questline called "War" where you would team up with Iorweth and Roche to get a cure for plague.

That's like the issue with every open world RPG. The main quest has to be somewhat urgent, but the world is full of stuff to do. I don't find it a problem personally, but clearly some of you are anti-open world.

Keu

Novice
The problem is the main quest, something similar to the first witcher with a criminal organization like salamandra would have been great in Novigrad, with more emphasis on the fight between factions.
They draw inspiration from sapkowski novels which were :decline: from his earlier short stories, all the white frost, prophecy shit was uninstersting compared the plots of W1 and W2.

And the open world was too much ubisoft-like, but yeah with a different plot it could have been better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom