Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

Sentinel

Arcane
Will I find a sewer which will lead to someone's lair
Funny you mention that, because
there is actually a sewer you can descend into where you'll come across a vampire hybernating, and after you wake him up he asks you if it's a certain date yet and tells you to fuck off.
However, I'm pretty sure there's plenty of quests that aren't reliant on a notice board.

Quillon

Arcane
Will I find a sewer which will lead to someone's lair?

Yea this is exactly in the game, it was also in promotional videos(Vampire asking what year it is) before game shipped. Most quests can be triggered via talking to the NPCs directly or you can kill a monster then get the quest for it etc. You don't have to take all the quests from noticeboard.

Falksi

Arcane
Maybe that's the approach I need, ignore the noticeboards and just fall through the world. But then how do I find these quests without having to talk to every single insignificant NPC who doesn't have anything to say?

Sentinel

Arcane
I just counted and there's 14 side-quests in Novigrad (excluding Witcher contracts in notice boards). Keep in mind that additional side quests unlock as you progress through the game.

I've never had any trouble finding side quests. Either an NPC will have something unique to say ("Master Witcher, a word please?" as you pass by) or they will straight up engage in dialogue mode. Keep on the look out for unusual situations as well, like a guard arguing with some dude, a mob outside a house, some dude yelling... the typical "hey player you should really check me out!" NPC. Haven't played the game in about a year so I don't remember that well all the ways side quests are started.

But as I said before, if you're not into the game's lore and characters, the main quest isn't for you IMO. Even if you're a lore-fag like myself it's kind of bad, I can't imagine how dull it must be for someone who isn't invested in them.

Falksi

Arcane
That's interesting, because I find TW3 world anything but dull. Almost every thing the commoners are talking about can be traced down to a quest, and there's so much lore to find tucked away

It's just not engaging enough for me. Been playing it some hours today and when it's behaving as a tight knit, story driven experience with main quests or side quests ala TW2, it's usually quite good. But I just spend so much time doing busy work to get to those points (oh the joys of equipment degradation)
Plus for every 3 good quests, there's 1 dull or pointless one.
I looked around in the bits nothing interesting to interact with. I found a dwarf who lost some papers in a card game, yawn! Boring. I found a sewer and went looking for said character mention earlier by the others, but found no-one. It's not bad by any means, it just isn't grabbing me anywhere near as much as TW2, and the predictable pattern of the side quests (chat, search, fight, reward) along with lack of interesting items (get Witcher gear, ignore the rest) is adding to that dullness.
I prey that such "open world" games scale down in size, or offer a more "filler-free" option in future.

Falksi It sounds like you are more into movies than games. Witcher 2 was a movie much more than a game, there was barely any gameplay, and what there was was 90% rolling.

While Witcher 3 could've definitely been better without question marks and so on, it is still a significantly better game than Witcher 2 ever was. The combat is 1000 times better if you play it right, exploration is much better, even if it's not optimal, the Witcher sense investigation and Gwent added some change-of-pace stuff, and some people enjoy wandering around a large world. Maybe it's not for you though.

yeah I didn't start really enjoying TW3 until i disabled minimap and all quest markings. That made me pay much more attention to the world

How did you get to quest locations without the minimap and the breadcrumb trail? NPCs give no clues in dialogue.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
Most of the time they do actually. they're just not exact. And if at any time I got really lost I'd check the main map real quick. But it's a PITA to go to it all the time, so I started memorizing locations and at some point was able to understand the approximate whereabouts of what NPCs said.

The detective mode breadcrumb trails are unskippable and dumb, can't do much about them

Most of the time they do actually. they're just not exact. And if at any time I got really lost I'd check the main map real quick. But it's a PITA to go to it all the time, so I started memorizing locations and at some point was able to understand the approximate whereabouts of what NPCs said.

The detective mode breadcrumb trails are unskippable and dumb, can't do much about them

I gotta try this on my next play-through, as the quest-compass/question mark stuff was probably my single biggest complaint against this game.

Falksi

Arcane
Falksi It sounds like you are more into movies than games. Witcher 2 was a movie much more than a game, there was barely any gameplay, and what there was was 90% rolling.

While Witcher 3 could've definitely been better without question marks and so on, it is still a significantly better game than Witcher 2 ever was. The combat is 1000 times better if you play it right, exploration is much better, even if it's not optimal, the Witcher sense investigation and Gwent added some change-of-pace stuff, and some people enjoy wandering around a large world. Maybe it's not for you though.

On the contrary mate, I much preferred TW2 because there tighter areas felt more interactive and full. I also much preferred the higher end fantasy (dragons, kings assinated etc.)
Agree about combat in TW3, definite step up there. But TW2 was just so replayable with branching story & sub-story choices. I fucking thrived on it big time.
I'm enjoying TW3 to some degree, I just wish I could cut all the filler out and condense what, to me, is a very dull, boring, pointless open world.
For me the perfect Witcher game would be somewhere between TW2 & 3. TW3 just went to far with it's size Imo.
Also, something which I much prefer in older games is side quests which all tie in with and unveil more about the main quest. Doesn't always have to be the case, but I think a lot of modern games are out of balance with this, and distract from the main quest too much at times. There's certainly been a lot of quests so far, which haven't really done that much to enhance things.

Falksi

Arcane
They already made that game, and it's called The Witcher.

TW1 did a good job with this as well.

TW1 was the worst of both for me. Dull combat with no skill to it, dull questing (uggghhh that Swamp). Still not a bad game, but couldn't ever force myself all the way through it.

Mr. Eko

Novice
Wtcher, witcher, witchar, twichar...
Yeah, I tryed few times first bitcher but never got too far. And then happend last summer, discovery of Codex, and I made vow to finish all three bitchers no matter what, rain, snow, ice, thunders, release of Grimoire or whatever, it simply had to be done. No way that Codex is telling the truth about those true and only GOTYs, no. All those edgy and unloving people of Codexia lying and decieving honest folk. Screw that. But boy, was I wrong. The moment I looked into Codex it looked right back unto me and I didn't even know. There was no returning. I was born again, I was unspoiled, I discovered existence of Codex Soul within. And when it struck me, I knew god is not real, only Codex exists in perfect union with Incline. All else is (((their))) lie.

And so ritualistic initiation process to 3333 degree of Codexstumobergrupenkomandogesetzt begun. Oh. My. Codex. :excited:
As you will see, the mood didn't stay :excited: too long. But Codex guided me all the way and my young fragile codex soul was tested through fires and flames wthout third degree (no pun intended). May Incline forever shine at codexed and uncodexed ones so they never stray away from only true path of Incline. Inclined be.

DIARY - INTTIMATE JOURNEY THROUGH B1TCH3R SEXMOS

First bitcher: that one reseambles game, to some degree (combat was servicable). They had good thing going with predicting Elex with that end-game part. Wouldn't be suprised that Alvin, or whatever the fucker was named, is in fact Jox, Cox the guy from Elex. Hello quantum physics. On the humoruous side, b1tcher was charming and had good moments. Especially adult themes, loved those - so profundly challenging on mental, emotional and even physical level that I had immediately zen experience and in a moment I know what to do! Look for it on amazon, it's out now: Mr. Ekos b1tchering - how to get bitches kuum with white roar tehnique AND elexian model of universe Enchanced Director Edition (free gwent DLC book, now with ergonomic holes). Yeah, fuck you Descartes, you didn't fuckin know nut'n until Gerolt got that benis brain enlargment elixir for Gimli!

Second bitcher: damnn... What the hell happend here. I even thought to give first one another try, but after this shitfest, big fuckin NO. I mean, that E P I C battle at dwarven city-fortress-stables alone (and fuck you combat, you lying bitch! You said all the way, not just money shot, fuck you!)?! The fuckin king attacks with all his might, and it is, what, at max 30ish people?!!11! And walls. fucking WALLS!!! Okey, they are dwarves, but come on man, come on you poles, come on. And why the fuck was that first hypocritical amish gathering even called "city", goddamn city, better call (Saul :3) it fuckin temporary mobile whore festival carneval strip wood fuckery. City my ass. And whoah, that sneaking mission, what an awe inspiring mechanic - damn, that must have been put together at least by two ten year old poles who run away from school in woods to molest russian bears or something and thought to themselves "We can into sneaking, submit idea to CD Projekt? 'k! We gonnu be richuuuu!" It is so good that that you enjoy playing it for whole 5 seconds before turning yourself monastic. You fuckers, and I worshiped you for few days between finishing b1tcher and starting gero2t - fuck you, never again. May your ballsacks itch and you may never scratch it with satisfaction.

But my ritual purification must be continued, for Evropa, for Gamedom! In Incline shall I win (said Constantine)!

Third bitcher: I can't even begin to comprehend peoples mind and motives who say anything positive about this fuckin interactive movie except it has somewhat nice graphix (and even that is debatable). That was time I wish I could rewind and never relive again. That was time I wish that I was cleaning stable shit and consuming some. That was time I wish I was abducted by them Alienz and been done things that would seem like pleasure in comparison t-to... to things I done with this-s satanic entity (I'm sorry mum) called g3rolt. Jesus have mercy on me (I still fosterd old pagan beliefs until Codex revealed itself as one and only true being in perfect unison with Incline in one of my prophetic dreams). I literaly felt like going to work and doing things I don't wanna do (occasional rapeyish feelings were felt), and not like playing GAME and having what ancients known as FUN with occasional acts of, what is now considered heresy in Gamedom, THINKING. Why have fun and do some thinking when you can press awesome button and fuck every elf chick in close proximity? Because this is not fucking game regardless it being cramed in category with same. And just put horse on auto-pilot, because plane journeys are fucking FUUUN and we love to make plane passanger simulations great again; RPGS need to saved, sayed nobody except poles in forest designing boeing 477 RPG gamezz while at the same time keeping bears at safe distance from Sheerwood Projekt studio. If, and only if, they made this as adventure game with light elements of everything else real games are made of then maybe, and just maybe, this interactive moviexxx could be digestable. But even thats stretching it, because story is abominably weak. But even that could have been sourmountaed if story was presented in better fashion. But even then, fuck it. No saving, even then. Super polished turd is just turd as someone already mentioned. Only genetic engineering is hope for this turd. But even that's gamble.

TL;DR
So yeah, those are mine humble opinions about those great games. If you wanna short version: Go play them, stop whatever you are doing right now. Don't forget to put at least one finger up your arse for extra DLC fun! Fuck it, just go nuts (deep) and immerse yourself in best experience there is. Fuck Gothictards, fuck Baldurtards, fuck Tormentuchans, fuck them all non-poles boasting about game design mastery when they can't even make Evropa great again two times in a row; maybe third time is a charm. No GOTY beside only true PGOTY. 10/10, would kuum again, even without finger.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Wtcher, witcher, witchar, twichar...
Yeah, I tryed few times first bitcher but never got too far. And then happend last summer, discovery of Codex, and I made vow to finish all three bitchers no matter what, rain, snow, ice, thunders, release of Grimoire or whatever, it simply had to be done. No way that Codex is telling the truth about those true and only GOTYs, no. All those edgy and unloving people of Codexia lying and decieving honest folk. Screw that. But boy, was I wrong. The moment I looked into Codex it looked right back unto me and I didn't even know. There was no returning. I was born again, I was unspoiled, I discovered existence of Codex Soul within. And when it struck me, I knew god is not real, only Codex exists in perfect union with Incline. All else is (((their))) lie.

And so ritualistic initiation process to 3333 degree of Codexstumobergrupenkomandogesetzt begun. Oh. My. Codex. :excited:
As you will see, the mood didn't stay :excited: too long. But Codex guided me all the way and my young fragile codex soul was tested through fires and flames wthout third degree (no pun intended). May Incline forever shine at codexed and uncodexed ones so they never stray away from only true path of Incline. Inclined be.

DIARY - INTTIMATE JOURNEY THROUGH B1TCH3R SEXMOS

First bitcher: that one reseambles game, to some degree (combat was servicable). They had good thing going with predicting Elex with that end-game part. Wouldn't be suprised that Alvin, or whatever the fucker was named, is in fact Jox, Cox the guy from Elex. Hello quantum physics. On the humoruous side, b1tcher was charming and had good moments. Especially adult themes, loved those - so profundly challenging on mental, emotional and even physical level that I had immediately zen experience and in a moment I know what to do! Look for it on amazon, it's out now: Mr. Ekos b1tchering - how to get bitches kuum with white roar tehnique AND elexian model of universe Enchanced Director Edition (free gwent DLC book, now with ergonomic holes). Yeah, fuck you Descartes, you didn't fuckin know nut'n until Gerolt got that benis brain enlargment elixir for Gimli!

Second bitcher: damnn... What the hell happend here. I even thought to give first one another try, but after this shitfest, big fuckin NO. I mean, that E P I C battle at dwarven city-fortress-stables alone (and fuck you combat, you lying bitch! You said all the way, not just money shot, fuck you!)?! The fuckin king attacks with all his might, and it is, what, at max 30ish people?!!11! And walls. fucking WALLS!!! Okey, they are dwarves, but come on man, come on you poles, come on. And why the fuck was that first hypocritical amish gathering even called "city", goddamn city, better call (Saul :3) it fuckin temporary mobile whore festival carneval strip wood fuckery. City my ass. And whoah, that sneaking mission, what an awe inspiring mechanic - damn, that must have been put together at least by two ten year old poles who run away from school in woods to molest russian bears or something and thought to themselves "We can into sneaking, submit idea to CD Projekt? 'k! We gonnu be richuuuu!" It is so good that that you enjoy playing it for whole 5 seconds before turning yourself monastic. You fuckers, and I worshiped you for few days between finishing b1tcher and starting gero2t - fuck you, never again. May your ballsacks itch and you may never scratch it with satisfaction.

But my ritual purification must be continued, for Evropa, for Gamedom! In Incline shall I win (said Constantine)!

Third bitcher: I can't even begin to comprehend peoples mind and motives who say anything positive about this fuckin interactive movie except it has somewhat nice graphix (and even that is debatable). That was time I wish I could rewind and never relive again. That was time I wish that I was cleaning stable shit and consuming some. That was time I wish I was abducted by them Alienz and been done things that would seem like pleasure in comparison t-to... to things I done with this-s satanic entity (I'm sorry mum) called g3rolt. Jesus have mercy on me (I still fosterd old pagan beliefs until Codex revealed itself as one and only true being in perfect unison with Incline in one of my prophetic dreams). I literaly felt like going to work and doing things I don't wanna do (occasional rapeyish feelings were felt), and not like playing GAME and having what ancients known as FUN with occasional acts of, what is now considered heresy in Gamedom, THINKING. Why have fun and do some thinking when you can press awesome button and fuck every elf chick in close proximity? Because this is not fucking game regardless it being cramed in category with same. And just put horse on auto-pilot, because plane journeys are fucking FUUUN and we love to make plane passanger simulations great again; RPGS need to saved, sayed nobody except poles in forest designing boeing 477 RPG gamezz while at the same time keeping bears at safe distance from Sheerwood Projekt studio. If, and only if, they made this as adventure game with light elements of everything else real games are made of then maybe, and just maybe, this interactive moviexxx could be digestable. But even thats stretching it, because story is abominably weak. But even that could have been sourmountaed if story was presented in better fashion. But even then, fuck it. No saving, even then. Super polished turd is just turd as someone already mentioned. Only genetic engineering is hope for this turd. But even that's gamble.

TL;DR
So yeah, those are mine humble opinions about those great games. If you wanna short version: Go play them, stop whatever you are doing right now. Don't forget to put at least one finger up your arse for extra DLC fun! Fuck it, just go nuts (deep) and immerse yourself in best experience there is. Fuck Gothictards, fuck Baldurtards, fuck Tormentuchans, fuck them all non-poles boasting about game design mastery when they can't even make Evropa great again two times in a row; maybe third time is a charm. No GOTY beside only true PGOTY. 10/10, would kuum again, even without finger.

v1rus

Arcane
I'm pretty much a noob at this, so, bear with me pls.

Which one of these settings would you guys recommend? Currently, there seem to be three options ofn me running Witcher 3 - high postprocessing in all 3 of them.

1. everything on max makes fps vary from around 50, dropping in low 40s sometimes.
2. Everything on high - constant 60 fps
3. everything on ultra, with all hair shit turned off - 60 fps, with occasional drops to 55+

Now, I know shit about this stuff, and i cant seem to notice the difference between 40fps and 60fps - I thought game was running flawlessly before i turned fraps on. Yet, it kinda bugs me, and I'm not sure is it because I can actually see the difference, or because number 40 is stuck in my head. Note that the drops (when they happen) are fluid - they decrease to 40 one by one, and keep at that number until they raise.

Last edited:

Keppo

Arbiter
I'm pretty much a noob at this, so, bear with me pls.

Which one of these settings would you guys recommend? Currently, there seem to be three options ofn me running Witcher 3 - high postprocessing in all 3 of them.

1. everything on max makes fps vary from around 50, dropping in low 40s sometimes.
3. everything on ultra, with all hair shit turned off - 60 fps, with occasional drops to 55+

Now, I know shit about this stuff, and i cant seem to notice the difference between 40fps and 60fps - I thought game was running flawlessly before i turned fraps on. Yet, it kinda bugs me, and I'm not sure is it because I can actually see the difference, or because number 40 is stuck in my head. Note that the drops (when they happen) are fluid - they decrease to 40 one by one, and keep at that number until they raise.

i used (3) . Everything on ultra except HairWorks, and also shadows on medium because these two settings were shitting on my performance most. So my bet is 3.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
I've been playing that way and it's still dull as hell. The villages are all copy-paste, a few stores, an odd quest, nothing worth exploring for. The same with the cities, everything I see is just visual candy with 95% of quests all notice board based. Any time spent travelling or exploring feels like a waste of time, they may of well have had one giant noticeboard.
The world just feels so empty, repetitive and pointless, and all it does is delay me getting to the nitty gritty. God it's so dull at times.

People love GTA5.

TC Jr

Scholar
I didn't give tw2 a chance, hated the combat.

Tw3, great dialogue, graphics and presentation, the gameplay itself though was totally mundane. Too much modern shit added in just cause, I mean it's fine if you compare it other games released today but I dont waste my time with new shit so this gets compared to older games.

Just an aside but from a purely gameplay perspective I had a lot more fun with mgsv's open world, different ways of doing things.

Great quests? Well the before and after part yeah (cutscenes), middle (gameplay) nothing stands out to me. I hope this doesn't come off as being bait cause obviously a lot of people here enjoy this game but to me it's the same as seeing people praising cinematic games that don't give two shits about gameplay, which is weird considering the site usually has a good taste.

I'm glad it done well though, even though I didn't enjoy it as much as other games, like I said compared to other shit it's decent.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I would go with 2 or 3 - constant frame rate is the most important thing when it comes to the game feeling smooth, you do not want your frame rate to fluctuate. Occasional dips are usually fine, depending on how sensitive you are to such stuff.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I must be weird, because I'm quite fine with 30+ fps. If I like the game/its graphics, I can even tolerate 15+ fps dips.
Of course, I tend to prefer turn-based games and don't play many action games. And my current config rarely calls for such efficiency sacrifices.

That said... yeah, I'd turn the hairworks off. Sometimes cool, but sometimes also weird. Generally not worth the effort IMO. For me it was an easy sacrifice to make.

v1rus

Arcane
I would go with 2 or 3 - constant frame rate is the most important thing when it comes to the game feeling smooth, you do not want your frame rate to fluctuate. Occasional dips are usually fine, depending on how sensitive you are to such stuff.

Gotta nitpick a bit - Even when everything is on ultra, the fps doesnt really fluctuate - its pretty much constantly at 42 or 43, increasing to say 50 when I leave heavy grass areas. Does this make it any better? :D

I must be weird, because I'm quite fine with 30+ fps. If I like the game/its graphics, I can even tolerate 15+ fps dips.
Of course, I tend to prefer turn-based games and don't play many action games. And my current config rarely calls for such efficiency sacrifices.

That said... yeah, I'd turn the hairworks off. Sometimes cool, but sometimes also weird. Generally not worth the effort IMO. For me it was an easy sacrifice to make.

While it also seemed like an easy sacrifice to me, this pic is scary -
witcher-3-nvidia-hairworks-example-100586285-orig.png

Not sure if its 100% correct tho

Sentinel

Arcane
I used the mod that turns HairWorks off for Geralt (imo it looks like shit) and just has it on for animals. Didn't really notice a massive performance drop, maybe because I didn't have the AA and tessellation on it maxed though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom