Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Astral Rag

Arcane
Found this gem in the comments section

xbox-one-crashed-568xkglig.jpg

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Actually my only nitpick-ey gripe is with how tidy and neat and un-worn Geralt's armour looks. He's been riding off the track and/or on a dirtroad for a good deal of time before getting to the conversation (which is where the camera zooms in), and his armour is spotless. Shame of you, CDP, shame on you!

Yeah, that's what I've been thinking. I really dislike the squeeky-clean state of his armor and equipements, you'd think they just came out of the forge. I mean, the Batmen games did a great job at deteriorating his armor and shit, but I guess that's the perks of fixed gear.

Dunno about TW3, but it's not like the previous Witcher games had such a massive armour/gear turnover that implementing wear and deterioration would have been preposterous. In my last TW2 playthrough, I went through 3 armours during the whole game.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Didn't the Batman series deteriorate armour mostly through cutscenes though?
Yep, only plot-critical shots and xplosions.

Their armor shown the damage, but then the events were set during one day or something like that.

Pity this Skyrim mod didn't go anywhere:

index.php

:retarded:
People complain about short quests precisely done to show it to people in 5 minutes max.
It was probably mainly to show how fetch quests should be handed compared to let's say DAI

Also who said it is actually whole quest ?

Because from what we learned in TW1-2 this will be probably connected to something much later in game and frankly this quests probably was inspired by cargo quests in TW1 where also you had to deal with drowners 5m for house (protecting cargo) but also you had a choice.

As of 5m. It fits. Dude wasn't idiot (supposed soldier) He waited at probably same place shot that dude, horses instead of stopping moved without stopping and moved away from road into swamp dude got to that cargo started ransacking it but monsters showed and he run away but not so far to loose cargo. So he waited near it for monsters to eat horse and move away where he met Geralt. So he send you to deal with monsters telling sobby story so you would accept it.

What was wrong with that quest imo was that he should do better job at telling lies but at same time this also didn't fit video idea.

Immortal My only problem was that Geralt told me that "hey stupid, you should investigate further". Saying that "hm, an arrow" and "hm, blood on the box" would have been perfectly enough. So those, who have the intelligence to look further would find a secret option to solve the quest, while the dumb ones would only had the basic one.

They probably had to do it. IT's 5 min video promotion to show people that TW3 quests are different from normal RPGs quests. And this was even traditional fetch quest. Go get the box.

In DAI would be something like:

Welcome here is your mission. Status update go get the box ! you go there and kill monsters. back to dude and dude gives you +REPUTATION UP+ points.
How was that different from any other fetch quests in crpgs?:retarded: Ffs stop making claims that cdprojekt is reinventing the fucking wheel:roll:

>cutscene
>follow the gps/detective mode
>fight trash mobe
>click on every active icons
>listen to gegard explaining everything to his call of duty audience
>run back to next cutscene
>oh no betrayal!
>shitty chase sćene
>either let him go for that +5 reputation with temerian or that 200shekels and +5 reputation with nilfgaard

10/10 goty quest

hiver

Actually my only nitpick-ey gripe is with how tidy and neat and un-worn Geralt's armour looks. He's been riding off the track and/or on a dirtroad for a good deal of time before getting to the conversation (which is where the camera zooms in), and his armour is spotless. Shame of you, CDP, shame on you!

Yeah, that's what I've been thinking. I really dislike the squeeky-clean state of his armor and equipements, you'd think they just came out of the forge. I mean, the Batmen games did a great job at deteriorating his armor and shit, but I guess that's the perks of fixed gear.

Dunno about TW3, but it's not like the previous Witcher games had such a massive armour/gear turnover that implementing wear and deterioration would have been preposterous. In my last TW2 playthrough, I went through 3 armours during the whole game.
Wait... you guys are serious?

I thought that was sarcasm.

Wow...

Didn't the Batman series deteriorate armour mostly through cutscenes though?
There was no armor in batman series.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Meh, I got suckered in and preordered. I still remember the shit they did with Act 3 in TW2. It was terribad, very much so. Not as bad as PoE Act 2 ending, but still high up there.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wow, do you guys always involve that much speculation, when playing videogames? I tried in the past, but I gave up, because it genuinely spoils the game.

Wait... you guys are serious?

I thought that was sarcasm.

My first post about it actually was. Kinda 80% sarcasm 20% actual nitpicking. Then I just followed along.

hiver

Gave me a scare there... but it seems the old sarcasm tinfoil detector is still working!

Nomad_Blizz

Arcane
Shouldn't have watched the trailer, it got me all hyped. And trailers are almost never good as the actual product.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Immortal My only problem was that Geralt told me that "hey stupid, you should investigate further". Saying that "hm, an arrow" and "hm, blood on the box" would have been perfectly enough. So those, who have the intelligence to look further would find a secret option to solve the quest, while the dumb ones would only had the basic one.

3:45 if my linking doesn't work..

"An Arrow, interesting.. Merchant didn't mention that, I should take a look around" :retarded:

There is no meta knowledge about foul play.. he states exactly what you know as a player.. Again he either says it here.. or you go back to the merchant and then magically there is a dialogue tree option for the arrow.

This isn't a mystery game.. If Geralt narrating everything is annoying to you, I agree.. but it's not that bad.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I liked the quest (the writing anyway), it is a traditional Witcher quest that starts simple but ends up more complicated and leads to what seems to be an even bigger quest. Although somehow I doubt every quest would be like that. They're probably showing only what is not your filler go-fetch stuff.
Hope some of them won't go into territory of KOTOR MMO, with recycled voice acting and all that.

Zeriel

Arcane
Honestly, quest design is not my main concern in an open world game like this. Moment-to-moment gameplay, world design, and itemization are all much more important. In order to not suck, a good open world game needs meaningful rewards for the side activities/junk quests (i.e, a reason to do said sidequests without feeling like you're wasting your time), the random item caches you find scattered around the environment need to improve your character which tends not to happen with modern itemization, et cetera.

It's why the Gothic series remains almost unequalled in open world games, smaller scope but they nailed the rewarding factor of exploration, without that the whole edifice collapses in upon itself.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Geralt is also narrating in the previous two games, didnt disturb me too much since there were some quests that still provided you to use your head from time to time, i hope in witcher 3 thats also the case.

also the developer mentioned in some interview that you can turn off several handholding tools, maybe you can also turn off the "witcher senses"?

hiver

I liked the quest (the writing anyway), it is a traditional Witcher quest that starts simple but ends up more complicated and leads to what seems to be an even bigger quest. Although somehow I doubt every quest would be like that. They're probably showing only what is not your filler go-fetch stuff.
The idea may have been ok but the execution is terribald through and through, so how can you like the writing of it?
I only ask because you are one of the sane, reasonable posters here.
Im curious.

Ivan

Arcane
But dont nvidia codes usually offer Steam keys, not GOG?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom