Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
That first combat vid looks ok, but it also convinces me this game is probably not for me. Is action combat (which is my least favorite anyway) actually possible without old and repetitive adhd jumping and rolling shit which gives you rsi after playing for an hour?

Do you get RSI from typing forum posts?

I've never had issues with input-heavy games that primarily use the keyboard. The only games that kind of fuck you over are ones that primarily use the mouse and have lots of actions in a short time frame (RTS, Diablo clones, etc).

Yeah mousing mania games i avoid per definition.

But in my RPGs i dont like combat that relies on twitch skills. If the rest of the game is excellent i may still play it though (like VtMB, which has the added advantage (well, from my perspective) that the combat can be cheesed).

BelisariuS.F

Augur
ffs quote pyramid

:butthurt: You are very upset about people not adhering to your limited pragmatic definitions. You're coming off as an autistic kid who loses his shit each time he thinks someone is doing something wrong (i.e the way you don't do things).
That wasn't MY definition (in fact, you've created your own definition of bullshot). And your diagnosis is mistaken.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
ffs quote pyramid

:butthurt: You are very upset about people not adhering to your limited pragmatic definitions. You're coming off as an autistic kid who loses his shit each time he thinks someone is doing something wrong (i.e the way you don't do things).
That wasn't MY definition (in fact, you've created your own definition of bullshot). And your diagnosis is mistaken.

My diagnostic accuracy is impeccable. These specatles are not just for fashion.

Tytus

Arcane
vBgzF9x.png

Geralt has 70k of dialogue lines. ME3 had less in the entire game :P

I wonder will they beat New Vegas, I think it held some kind of record. Also I feel sorry for anyone who won't able able to play this game in a Human Language like Polish and will have to play in animal grunts.

Gerrard

Arcane
Doesn't SWToR have the most recorded dialogue of any game ever? Isn't that what they wasted all that money on?

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
The quantity of VA doesnt impress me. Sometimes less is more. I mentioned this in a VtMB thread, that game must have one of the best VA tracks ever in an RPG thusfar. Mostly excellent voice actors, tightly directed, no fluff and totally geared towards propelling things forward. I like it alot. In a lot of modern games i am quick to think, "Shut up already FFS!".

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
vBgzF9x.png

Geralt has 70k of dialogue lines. ME3 had less in the entire game :P

I wonder will they beat New Vegas, I think it held some kind of record. Also I feel sorry for anyone who won't able able to play this game in a Human Language like Polish and will have to play in animal grunts.
Holy shit, CD Projekt is really this rich so they can affort themselves so much VO recordings?

Paul_cz

Arcane
Holy shit, CD Projekt is really this rich so they can affort themselves so much VO recordings?

They are going all out. Doing japanese voice acting too is pretty unusual for example. I guess TW 1/2/3 are selling.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I guess they saved some money hiring chris priestly as their community manager or whatever.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fair enough. Can't say I agree, some of the most fun I had with games was with action RPGs like the Gothics.
Sure, the reliance on player skills waters down the character development a bit but since I value minute to minute gameplay just as much as a solid RPG system I can deal with that. We could discuss if these action RPGs are action games with RPG elements or the other way around but I bet there are enough threads where some spergs already did that. Thank you, spergs!
The only thing that matters is if the game challenges me, so I can fail and feel rewarded for "winning".
If the rest of the game is excellent i may still play it though (like VtMB, which has the added advantage (well, from my perspective) that the combat can be cheesed).
Imo Twitcher games also fall into that category though. The stories are quite good in both games, with Witcher 1 offering more freedom but because of that also some situations where the narrative doesn't quite add up (murder investigation).

Deleted member 7219

CDPR have a publishing arm that basically gets free money from porting western games to Poland, and it probably gets nice tax breaks (and maybe funding?) from the Polish government.

Plus, all dat money coming in from Witcher 1 and 2 sales, plus GOG.

odrzut

Arcane
and it probably gets nice tax breaks (and maybe funding?) from the Polish government.

Nah, who would pay for such stuff from our taxes would lose power the next day. On the other hand they got around 500 000 euro from EU funds.

Last edited:

SwiftCrack

Arcane
There is an agency called the Polish Agency for Enterprise Development which specifically supports tech startups though. I guess CDR doesn't need their help though.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
OT The EU is indeed a money carrousel where most ordinary taxpayers suffer to the extent of being totally unimaginable for Americans and where there are subsidies for everything that isnt necessary (like producing milk and butter in quantities that could be useful if we had 30 billion people in the EU alone or growing organic purple tomatoes or making the witcher 3).

Still that many hours of va must cost even in Poland.

norolim

Arcane
CDPR have a publishing arm that basically gets free money from porting western games to Poland.
Not rally. They sold that branch a few months ago, because... it wasn't turning a profit.

Still that many hours of va must cost even in Poland.
Especially that they're not paying Polish rates to those foreign actors. I mean, I doubt Charles Dance works for potatoes.

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Damien Monnier's talk at last year's Eurogamer Expo (EGX). It is interesting because he is (by his own recent admission) caffeine high during this and therefore very, uhm, "energetic".

There is some interesting stuff in here. He talks about a system where predators are attracted to dead animals (for example wolves to freshly killed ones, ghouls to rotten meat), which can be used to set traps. Probably mostly a gimmick with no real gameplay value, but still a nice touch.

hiver

One year old hype report with some fucking "game journalist" that is "energetic"? Gee thanks Mico, thats what i come to codex to find and enjoy.

Old Hans

Arcane
This is all real-time special systems. Look how the AI needs to use the toilet and feed itself and take naps. Wild animals will get sleepy and take many naps

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom