Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Perkel

Arcane
I know what it is, but you don't seem to if you think it only allows 15 dynamic lights.

And most current engines still use it, or at least some aspects of it.

I think misconception here is what we call dynamic light. Be it mine or your misconception.

https://youtu.be/nxIuLSDw5HI?t=18

This is what i call dynamic light. Deffered engines give ability to have 1000s of light sources but they can't handle few proper lights such as in this video let alone more than 20 or 30 in tech demo let alone proper game.

Shading is a bitch.

Gerrard

Arcane
Yes they can, that is the whole point of deferred shading. You don't need that to have hundreds of static lights.

Have you ever played any of the Stalkers? Every light in Stalker is dynamic, unless you play in the DX8 mode.

Declinator

Arbiter
It is normal since the more you see the faster on geometric scale rises power needed to run stuff.
Though currently biggest problem which will be sorted with DX12/Vulcan and it is sorted in Mantle is draw call problem.

You know how many real time lights game can have before it will be fps shit show ? 1000 ? 500 ? 100 ?

Around 15 for best engines.

All those lights in GTA games and other open world games are usually tricks and none of them cast actual light let alone volumetric lights.

This will change with new API which will allow for literally thousands of real time lights on screen...

What sort of a situation calls for thousands of light sources? In fact when would you even need more than 15?

You make it sound like this will be a great step forward but the uses seem minimal. Sounds like this will be of benefit only in highly elaborately lit scenes (such as some sort night club scene with glow sticks or a Blade Runner -esque cityscape. Suppose ordinary traffic in something like GTA could benefit at least at night what with all the car lights.)

Gerrard

Arcane
A game like GTA (or just some racing game at night) is the only case where I can imagine needing lots of lights. Video game graphics have always been about tricks and cheating though.

10 years ago people thought raytracing would become a viable rendering method, ha ha ha.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane

Darkzone

Arcane
Raytracing has it's advantages and disadvantages, but overall the development has gone to the raster rendering tech, therefore it is much faster now.

His Majesty

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
There is talk on the Witcher forums that the game has switched from level unlocks on items like weapons and armour to level scaling on drops.

No, weapons don't scale. It's more like when you're too low level you can still wield the weapon and have its base effects but only when you reach a high enough level will you unlock the 'full' stats of the weapon.

Tytus

Arcane
jqZDJKr.jpg

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
10 years ago people thought raytracing would become a viable rendering method, ha ha ha.
Ray tracing is the superior technology, peasant. :obviously:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfenstein:_Ray_Traced
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_Wars:_Ray_Traced
>takes 4 specialized computers to run at 40-80 FPS in 1280x720
>looks worse than normal rendering
Superior technology indeed.
> didn't specify what constitutes "superior"
> proceeds to make judgement

thexsa

Educated
This might be already known, but i just read that fast-travel could only be done between sign post.
This is a bit less moronic and more immersive than Beth's games, but it's still teleport...

http://www.destructoid.com/my-first-four-hours-with-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-286594.phtml
Fast travel is horrible! Totally ruined Pillars of Eternity!

What ruined Pillars of Eternity was Sawyers design philisophy that all classes should be balanced like a fucking MMO-faggotfest.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
This might be already known, but i just read that fast-travel could only be done between sign post.
This is a bit less moronic and more immersive than Beth's games, but it's still teleport...

http://www.destructoid.com/my-first-four-hours-with-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-286594.phtml
Fast travel is horrible! Totally ruined Pillars of Eternity!

What ruined Pillars of Eternity was Sawyers design philisophy that all classes should be balanced like a fucking MMO-faggotfest.

PoE? Ruined? WTF?

His Majesty

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
There is talk on the Witcher forums that the game has switched from level unlocks on items like weapons and armour to level scaling on drops.

No, weapons don't scale. It's more like when you're too low level you can still wield the weapon and have its base effects but only when you reach a high enough level will you unlock the 'full' stats of the weapon.
Scrap that, apparently they do. Picking up a lvl 20 weapon at lvl 17 will permanently make it a lvl 17 weapon. Sounds pretty shit.

Perkel

Arcane
Uhh i have read just now about loot scaling.

Guess i will take easy mode and say "fuck gameplay". Will just enjoy story.

Perkel

Arcane
you find this info on the official forums?

gametrailers did interview with someone from CDPR. Just watched it.

When you pick up a sword it will be adjusted to your level.
Don't need more information than that. Gameplay will be shit it always is with loot completely scaled to your lvl.

Question now is how much scaling there will be. Will you will be able to find weapon that will be able to kill way harder monsters ? Or will it be shit like Skyrim where no matter where you go you will find same shit

Gerrard

Arcane

Scrap that, apparently they do. Picking up a lvl 20 weapon at lvl 17 will permanently make it a lvl 17 weapon. Sounds pretty shit.
That is retarded as fuck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom