Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

naossano

Cipher
Nigga do your really think people will go to Beth forums just to read your half-assed opinion ?

I DONT THINK SO

The thing, that topic was already discussed to death months ago.
Rather than rephrase everything every time the topic is brought up, i rather link the previous comments and move forward instead of moving in circle.
If you can't be bothered to click, then it is your choice. But you have been answered already.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
I skimmed his diatribe and I'm not totally against some tweaking of fast travel. I would hate to have to slog through the same ground over and again in any open world game. Even games where I enjoy navigating the terrain and finding rando NPCs/activities (Red Dead comes to mind) come to a certain point where I'm just trying to get where I need to be as quickly as possible. Fast travel with some sort of interrupt system (random/special encounters) would be my preference. I am decline.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The_Witcher_3_Wild_Hunt_A_lonely_tower,_is_it_abandoned.png

The_Witcher_3_Wild_Hunt_Old,_abandoned_and_probably_dangerous.png

The_Witcher_3_Wild_Hunt_Sometimes_you_have_to_beat_some_sense_into_others.png

The_Witcher_3_Wild_Hunt_These_animals_can_rip_you_apart_in_seconds_if_you%27re_not_careful.png

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
If these are real screenshots (which I doubt) then Skyrim lovers should go back to their cave.

Perkel

Arcane
So apparently it can be finished in 25 hours with an additional 175 hours of filler available if you are a completionist. What was the ratio in Inquisition?

~50hour main , 50 hour of sidequests. 100+ hour more for exploration if you have ocd.

As for filler quest i think it is pretty safe to say that there won't be filler quests in style of DA:I

Even in TW2 there were like few fillers quests but each of them had something different than killing x times monster or getting x times parts of monster.

For example in nekker quest you had to destroy their nest and that required you to get to cedrick and talk about how to deal with that thus giving you new bomb types to make
Endrega quests on other hand made you destroy cocoons to provoque queen to attack you
Troll quest was probably one of the more awesome quests in game where you had to deal with alcoholic troll.

Act 2 "fetch quests" were also in same vein. Act 2 also had literal fetch quest where you had to gather feathers for dude who constantly wanted more of them which was super annoying and whole quest was basically "fetch quest" irony:

norolim

Arcane
If these are real screenshots (which I doubt) then Skyrim lovers should go back to their cave.
They seem real. You can even see where they made compromises in order to optimize.

This is what I posted on the official forums:

norolim said:
While looking through the latest images from The Witcher 3, I discovered a something fascinating. I turns out the game has a very good implementation of some laws of physics. As most of you probably know, when we look to the outer space, the further we look, the older the objects we see. This is a result of distance and defined speed of light.

Well, it looks like the same is true in The Witcher 3. It's obviously compressed, so you don't have to look at the sky - it's perfectly visible in the picture below:

lTJpYrU.jpg

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Well, they are.

You can see every strand of geralt's facial hair in almost every screenshot, but everything else in the world looks meh.

Perkel

Arcane
It is normal since the more you see the faster on geometric scale rises power needed to run stuff.
Though currently biggest problem which will be sorted with DX12/Vulcan and it is sorted in Mantle is draw call problem.

You know how many real time lights game can have before it will be fps shit show ? 1000 ? 500 ? 100 ?

Around 15 for best engines.

All those lights in GTA games and other open world games are usually tricks and none of them cast actual light let alone volumetric lights.

This will change with new API which will allow for literally thousands of real time lights on screen as well thousands of generally things on screen without framerate tanking into single digits on powerful hardware.

Games to this day most of the time use static lighting and phong shading.

Gerrard

Arcane
I know what it is, but you don't seem to if you think it only allows 15 dynamic lights.

And most current engines still use it, or at least some aspects of it.

BelisariuS.F

Augur
Too bad the real game will not look even half as good as those bullshots.
wat, those are from gameplay trailer that wasn't even recorded on highest setting

So?
So they are not bullshots.

Is this also the date when you started gaming? I can think of no other reason why someone would be this gullible even after the decade of nonending bullshots. The potato PR department must be rubbing their hands greedily as people are still eating up promo material as the real thing.
Do you realize that you can fire up the latest trailer, pause it at specific moments and compare it with the screenshots?
But why am I asking, you already did the research before you spoke, right?

Your point?
Do you know what a bullshot is?

A lie. Something that is not truthful or indicative of what the end product will truly look like. Done for PR purposes because gullible people are easily wowed by shiny promotional images.

So you don't fully know. Bullshot is not just a shiny promotional image that is not truthful or indicative of what the end product will truly look like. It's a doctored and manipulated image. Screenshot that shows a scene directly from a trailer is not a bullshot.

kek, that's exactly what I said. When games are made the devs always go with a high poly count and then start downgrading from there until they find the targeted sweet spot that'll work on as many machines as possible. With deductive reasoning (open world, has to work on consoles, devs don't want to "offend" console users by making the PC versions look too much better and it requires extra work to do so anyway (devs are lazy)) anyone can see that these images are not at that sweet spot yet. Claiming that the pics aren't bullshots because they are taken from a video is pretty dumb as well. Where do you think every bullshot comes from, then? Thin air? Think harder about their origin.
Bullshots have nothing to do with downgrading. They are created by deliberately enhancing actual screenshots to make them look better. Period.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Too bad the real game will not look even half as good as those bullshots.
wat, those are from gameplay trailer that wasn't even recorded on highest setting

So?
So they are not bullshots.

Is this also the date when you started gaming? I can think of no other reason why someone would be this gullible even after the decade of nonending bullshots. The potato PR department must be rubbing their hands greedily as people are still eating up promo material as the real thing.
Do you realize that you can fire up the latest trailer, pause it at specific moments and compare it with the screenshots?
But why am I asking, you already did the research before you spoke, right?

Your point?
Do you know what a bullshot is?

A lie. Something that is not truthful or indicative of what the end product will truly look like. Done for PR purposes because gullible people are easily wowed by shiny promotional images.

So you don't fully know. Bullshot is not just a shiny promotional image that is not truthful or indicative of what the end product will truly look like. It's a doctored and manipulated image. Screenshot that shows a scene directly from a trailer is not a bullshot.

kek, that's exactly what I said. When games are made the devs always go with a high poly count and then start downgrading from there until they find the targeted sweet spot that'll work on as many machines as possible. With deductive reasoning (open world, has to work on consoles, devs don't want to "offend" console users by making the PC versions look too much better and it requires extra work to do so anyway (devs are lazy)) anyone can see that these images are not at that sweet spot yet. Claiming that the pics aren't bullshots because they are taken from a video is pretty dumb as well. Where do you think every bullshot comes from, then? Thin air? Think harder about their origin.
Bullshots have nothing to do with downgrading. They are created by deliberately enhancing actual screenshots to make them look better. Period.

The game you are white knighting is so poor that you cannot defend it on its own merits so you've stooped to try and win a semantic argument instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom