Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Witcher 3 delayed to February 2015

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
OH wow, I don't think I've ever seen a Codex warning before... didn't even know we had them.

Deleted member 7219

OH wow, I don't think I've ever seen a Codex warning before... didn't even know we had them.

They get handed out if someone spams, posts NSFW stuff or just generally behaves like a cunt. I thought it was a bit overkill to use it there.

Servo

Arcane
Paul_cz, welcome to the Codex! Keep in mind that most people here have argued the same points over and over again, and if you don't have the strength of mind and of will to read the last ~10 years worth of posts, you will get called a fanboy, cunt, plant, and maybe even a faggot (if you're lucky).

Monty

Arcane
Keep in mind that most people here have argued the same points over and over again, and if you don't have the strength of mind and of will to read the last ~10 years worth of posts, you will get called a fanboy, cunt, plant, and maybe even a faggot (if you're lucky).

You sound butthurt, Servo. Are you butthurt?

Servo

Arcane
Posting on the Codex is like running backwards through a cornfield with your pants down. But it's not corn, and they aren't corn stalks, but multi-headed dick monsters.

nil

Cipher
Azrael the cat said:
Ok. Bob wants to make an fps. He can afford either the Crysis engine, or the engine SupCom used.
If he buys cryengine, he doesn't have to bother with camera control (built in setCameraType()), collision detection, AI (not necessarily the AI itself, but at least the framework to implement AI actors is probably there), hit detection etc.
If he chooses the SupCom engine, he won't even have default fps camera (he has to implement his own mousemovement>>cameramovement logic), collision detection is only in 2d etc.

Of course, even if he picked the CryEngine, he can replace all the built in stuff with whatever he wants, and keep only the rendering part, but when you have a fully working physics system that you paid for, it can be hard to justify rewriting the whole thing.

As for the unreal engine, it was (I assume) designed to be licensed out so they made it easily customizable (doesn't mean it doesn't have a lot of default stuff for FPS games).

edit: The engine being basically a barebones game doesn't mean it has to be a working, running program.

Last edited:

Servo

Arcane
FFS you autists are arguing a moot point. If anything combat in Witcher 3 will be even more popamole than the previous two.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
You keep using that smiley. I don't think it means what you think it means.

Serika

Novice
Yeah, too bad Torment was such a horrible game because of its combat. Nobody still remembers it...

whitepony

Educated
Any good examples of non popamole combat in ARPGs? Its an action game FFS, if it has a decent_to_good story its a fucking Godsend, is it not?

MasPingon

Arcane
They know their target audience: graphic whores.

yeah i'm sure people ate up tw1 because of the purdy graphixxx

The writing is terrible

writing is basically all this game's got going for it

Not really. Witcher 1 still have one of the best graphics and environments in 3D crpgs. It also got great OST with every track dedicated for the specific location. And it's one of few games in which day/night cycle actually have an impact on quests. Thinking about it, there are a lot of little touches you won't find in other crpgs.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

The writing is terrible

Not really. Witcher 1 still have one of the best graphics and environments in 3D crpgs. It also got great OST with every track dedicated for the specific location. And it's one of few games in which day/night cycle actually have an impact on quests. Thinking about it, there are a lot of little touches you won't find in other crpgs.

Hmm, you're right. I concede to that.

Well, I don't agree on W1 graphics. The art style was extremely nice and authentically medieval, but the technical quality wasn't that great, and aren't "graphics whores" primarily interested in technical quality? The rest I agree with.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014

The writing is terrible

I don't ever want to see any game fail. But the writing in The Witcher basically went off the rails for me when it took itself too seriously. I don't blame CDPR for that, since they were using canon developed by the author. So maybe it is unfair to blame the writing on them. But it was still pretty bad, basically hard-boiled detective fiction mixed with super-hero cliches and over-the-top skirt chasing. Also, and this is just my opinion, I can't stand it when fantasy games use modern speech patterns and phrases. It sounds so lame.

Zetor

Arcane
I played TW1 a long time ago, so I don't remember if the writing was better or worse then -- but TW2's writing was really bad IMO, *especially* the dialogues. In fact, it was so bad that it was the main reason I put the game down in chapter 2. The style was really... disjointed, switching between super-srs-bsns cliche-medieval English and modern English seemingly every second sentence. Also, something about the dialogue gave off a "non-native English speaker trying too hard" vibe.

Maybe it's a translation thing, though.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
if it takes delay to make the game better, then please do so.

I am tired of these rushed out "gems" that are ruined because of time issues.

Servo

Arcane
Any good examples of non popamole combat in ARPGs? Its an action game FFS, if it has a decent_to_good story its a fucking Godsend, is it not?

Look no further than the Souls games.

Also BioShock.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom