Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

bonescraper

Well, Geralt has a lot more in common with comic book superheroes than random medieval footsoldiers in full plate armor. The game was never supposed to be simulationist.

Not that i thik they should copy Arkham games' combat system though.

Kron

Arcane
Granted, there's no massive shoulder pads with spikes and brootal flaming longswords with overdone designs, but it still looks out of place given how "folkish" the lanscapes look.

Declinator

Arbiter
In a game like Chiv, even placing a stab under or around an enemy shield can be an acutely frenetic affair.
This is exactly what the Batman games are not. Frenetic, that is. You just calmly and methodically knock enemies down, move to the next ones and control how many surround you at one time. You don't really have to react terribly fast to things. It's just a matter of timing and anticipation.

But then again I didn't play the challenge modes, and I have no idea why you would want to. I beat Arkham Aslyum on Normal mode on my PS3 and I found the game to be most intriguing in terms of the plot, the detective elements, and the simplistic but fluid stealth combat.
My experience with it was different. I found the plot asinine, the detective elements largely boring, and the stealth just too easy. The combat was a positive surprise as I saw no hope for it before starting the game. And the combat is hopeless more often than not but with large groups of enemies it can be quite fun which is why the challenge mode is perhaps the best part of the game.

I know you guys like to disparage the Witcher series' combat system, but for god's sake, at least it requires some skill in terms of maneuver and placement of strikes, and that's on top of managing groups of enemies. Of what significance precisely is "managing" large groups of enemies when they stand around and wait their turn to strike you, issue a giant blue halo over their heads before they're about to attack, and the only interaction you need to have in order to deal with any of this is left clicking and right clicking? Are you referring to management of left clicks versus right clicks? You can't even choose which enemy you attack or which enemy you parry, it's all automatic, so the use of the term "management" doesn't really make any sense to me.
False. You can choose which enemy you attack by pointing the camera. And in Arkham City multiple enemies can attack at once (though you can block them all by a corresponding number of right clicks.)

Also, it's not as though just left and right clicking is enough for every enemy. The enemies with knives, shields or armors (some of these might just be in City) need either jumping over them or using the cape. On the other hand the fights can be enjoyable even with just the basic types of enemies as long as there are many of them.

Having said that, the combat system in Dark Souls is much much better and I would rather see something like that in TW3. Though if it were a choice between TW2 combat or Batman combat the latter would be my choice as TW2 combat didn't seem to have any redeeming factors to it. Might even pick TW1 combat over it.

TedNugent

Arcane
False. You can choose which enemy you attack by pointing the camera. And in Arkham City multiple enemies can attack at once (though you can block them all by a corresponding number of right clicks.)
Huh? Explain this, then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UNBMHh9yuc&feature=youtu.be&t=1m43s

Don't bullshit me, dude. I played the game.
Well, Geralt has a lot more in common with comic book superheroes than random medieval footsoldiers in full plate armor. The game was never supposed to be simulationist.

That's not my point at all. Chivalry isn't simulationist, either. It uses shit like parry windows and you can nearly instant hit people by doing lookdowns. The point is that Chivalry has depth to its combat, you actually have to use footwork and manipulate your point of aim instead of clicking a button and all of your maneuver, attack angles, and targeting is handled for you by the computer. That's an illusion of interactivity.

Declinator

Arbiter
Huh? Explain this, then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UNBMHh9yuc&feature=youtu.be&t=1m43s

Don't bullshit me, dude. I played the game.

Two options come to mind:
A: There are alternative means of choosing who you attack that I was unaware of (i.e. choosing a direction to attack via keyboard etc.)
B: The console version plays differently

Some other possibilities come to mind but they are rather unlikely comparatively.

Certainly if I picked an empty space to attack, Batman would just kick/punch air and the combo would end. And I dare say it was no coincidence that the attacks always struck the people who were in the direction I was pointing at.

TedNugent

Arcane
I just booted up Arkham City. The right click automatically blocks from any direction and follows up with a riposte attack. Both the keyboard and the mouse can aim your left-click attacks, and if you don't point one or the other at an enemy the attack begins in the opposite direction, which can serve as a combo breaker.

The directions don't need to be precise, e.g. if someone is within 45 degrees of your mouse direction it seems like he will target the attack. But if an enemy is, say, greater than 90 degrees from your point of aim, the attack will not go behind you.

So I exaggerated when I said "auto-aim," but there is definitely an aim assist operative. This was Arkham City from my Steam launcher, PC version.

But Geralt's armour, on the other hand, looks like a typical videogame designer thing. Not very period, not very good looking.
Well, the "default" armor is really shit, but according to this:
[pic]
There will be a wide variety of black and folk metal attire :lol:
Good god, it's ridiculous how every designer believes it's his sacred duty to make some sort of studded armour. With studs. The more, the bigger - the higher the armour rating.

nSXWCEh.jpg

Seriously. What in the fucking fuck?...

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Those screenshots look pretty nice. But the one in the field with the sheep looks utterly shit.

I think a big problem going forward (in terms of graphics) is focus. All games have you focusing on the landscape and the person in front of you are never out of focus. Without focus it all just looks shit and lacks any depth.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah. . the witcher always has such terribly designed and unrealistic armor. .

377px-Tw2_screenshot_armor_deargruadhri.png

Last edited:

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
But Geralt's armour, on the other hand, looks like a typical videogame designer thing. Not very period, not very good looking.
Well, the "default" armor is really shit, but according to this:
[pic]
There will be a wide variety of black and folk metal attire :lol:
Good god, it's ridiculous how every designer believes it's his sacred duty to make some sort of studded armour. With studs. The more, the bigger - the higher the armour rating.

nSXWCEh.jpg

Seriously. What in the fucking fuck?...

In the books, Geralt wears a leather jacket covered in silver studs. Silver, for obvious reasons.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Granted, there's no massive shoulder pads with spikes and brootal flaming longswords with overdone designs, but it still looks out of place given how "folkish" the lanscapes look.
True, there's a bit much leather for my tastes. I would really like to ride around the wilderness in a badass cloak or something.

Divinity: Original Sin
Why do they keep changing his face? Or is Geralt on a neverending quest for physical beauty through plastic surgery/magic?

I don't think geralt's face changed that much from the witcher 1 to 2. In fact, TW 2 had a different looking geralt in nthe beginning, but in teh end they changed only the hair. And TW 3 is not that different either. It's not like this is Max Payne.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Why do they keep changing his face? Or is Geralt on a neverending quest for physical beauty through plastic surgery/magic?

I don't think geralt's face changed that much from the witcher 1 to 2. In fact, TW 2 had a different looking geralt in nthe beginning, but in teh end they changed only the hair. And TW 3 is not that different either. It's not like this is Max Payne.

I think you can see a slight change between TW1 and TW2 in the way that it is more "presentable" in TW2 so Triss can feel like she is fucking a handsome mutant. In TW3 it is the same as TW2, just more worn out, with beard and shit, or mature if you will. Yennefer is an old and disfigured witch disguising herself with spells so, I guess it is for the good of the future plot.

To sum it up: In before geriatric butt-secks!

ps. I like TW1 look the most - grey and unhuman. They fucked it in TW2 a bit, but I don't care.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Yennefer is an old and disfigured witch disguising herself with spells

1. Triss isn't much younger, if at all.
2. Yennefer isn't really disfigured. Not anymore. She was disfigured, but it was physically corrected using spells, when she was still an apprentice. Likewise, her youth is maintained through magical means, but it is very real. There's no illusion there.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
IIRC Triss is the one illusionisting her scarred cleavage. (or rather wearing non-revealing dress in the books)

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Yennefer is an old and disfigured witch disguising herself with spells

2. Yennefer isn't really disfigured. Not anymore. She was disfigured, but it was physically corrected using spells, when she was still an apprentice. Likewise, her youth is maintained through magical means, but it is very real. There's no illusion there.
Well, I dunno, I don't remember. Was it permanent? Or some sustained spell. I don't know if that was explained fully in the books.

Doesn't matter though, just details as far as I can see it.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
In the books, Geralt wears a leather jacket covered in silver studs. Silver, for obvious reasons.
He could be wearing cocktail dresses in the books for all I care. Doesn't make those armour concepts any less ridiculous.

It's not armour against swords, it's supposed to protect you from silver fearing monsters. As such, it's not ridiculous at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom