Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Fair enough. Speaking of action, could you maybe touch upon the game’s new combat system?

It's really tough to describe the combat system, as it is something you have to play and experience for yourself to fully understand. We're definitely looking at a more fluid combat system with Wild Hunt, where attacking an enemy feels more natural and smooth, unlike older games where you had to lock onto enemies constantly.

What we saw in Batman: Arkham Asylum is a very cool system, and I don't want to draw any comparisons, but that's definitely part of the motivation for us. I can make gamers a promise that combat in The Witcher 3 is already fun and that we're constantly balancing it till we hit that sweet spot.
1.16_Funny_Gifs_7.gif

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I am not sure if the Arkham games combat system will fit the Witcher. It is a fun system, but it stretched even the creduality of playing as Batman or Catwoman. It would suit someone like The Flash, but not an ordinary mortal. True, Geralt is basically a super soldier, but I would prefer a system of blocks and parries, where you see swords parrying and countering each other.

What was the Codex official opinion on Witcher 2 by the way, as compared to Witcher 1?
Witcher 2 already took inspiration from Batham and it wasn't any good because it lacked the animations and responsiveness. They claim they've added a lot more animations and canceling.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
My graphics card's knees are already quivering at having to bear the load of that game...

hiver

yeah yeah, sex cards. sure.

you complained about those and look what it got you. :lol:

Gerrard

Arcane
I like how the new forum layout is no longer shit and it didn't take months of downtime to implement it this time around. Innoveyshun!

TedNugent

Arcane
Fair enough. Speaking of action, could you maybe touch upon the game’s new combat system?

It's really tough to describe the combat system, as it is something you have to play and experience for yourself to fully understand. We're definitely looking at a more fluid combat system with Wild Hunt, where attacking an enemy feels more natural and smooth, unlike older games where you had to lock onto enemies constantly.

What we saw in Batman: Arkham Asylum is a very cool system, and I don't want to draw any comparisons, but that's definitely part of the motivation for us. I can make gamers a promise that combat in The Witcher 3 is already fun and that we're constantly balancing it till we hit that sweet spot.
Oh God, Arkham Asylum's combat system, where do we begin.

You click Mouse1 and Batman automatically spins into an auto-aimed combo with the nearest enemy. You press mouse 2 and you automatically block the next attack coming from any direction. No aiming necessary, just click mouse1-mouse1-mouse1 and then mouse 2 when you get a big lightning bolt indicator over your head.

I really enjoyed Arkham Asylum, but the combat system really is the epitome of consolized shit.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer

You click Mouse1 and Batman automatically spins into an auto-aimed combo with the nearest enemy. You press mouse 2 and you automatically block the next attack coming from any direction. No aiming necessary, just click mouse1-mouse1-mouse1 and then mouse 2 when you get a big lightning bolt indicator over your head.

I really enjoyed Arkham Asylum, but the combat system really is the epitome of consolized shit.
Batman's combat system relies more on managing large groups of enemies and stringing together combos than aiming and targeting. On the harder difficulties or doing the game's challenge mode, it can get very demanding. I don't think disparaging it because it doesn't require you to lock on to enemies or attack with extreme precision is especially fair.

What might be a better question is if that model works for The Witcher, but as we haven't seen anything of the combat system, it's hard to even say what elements of Batman it's drawing from.

Kron

Arcane
Yet again it is obvious that the department (or at least the concept artists) responsible for the backgrounds is not the same than the one making the costume design for Geralt.

Really, we've come to point that those stills are coming close to looking like a 19th century mountainous romantic painting; they look moody and believable.
But Geralt's armour, on the other hand, looks like a typical videogame designer thing. Not very period, not very good looking.

I'd like to show some W2 concept arts from CDP's page - clearly their talent is more on the side of landscapes:
art14.jpg

art34.jpg

bonescraper

But Geralt's armour, on the other hand, looks like a typical videogame designer thing. Not very period, not very good looking.

Well, the "default" armor is really shit, but according to this:

20140201132407.jpg

There will be a wide variety of black and folk metal attire :lol:

TedNugent

Arcane

Batman's combat system relies more on managing large groups of enemies and stringing together combos than aiming and targeting. On the harder difficulties or doing the game's challenge mode, it can get very demanding. I don't think disparaging it because it doesn't require you to lock on to enemies or attack with extreme precision is especially fair.

What might be a better question is if that model works for The Witcher, but as we haven't seen anything of the combat system, it's hard to even say what elements of Batman it's drawing from.

I was going to compare this to Dynasty Warriors, but then I remembered that Dynasty Warriors doesn't have auto-aim and requires you to actually point the stick in the general direction of the gigantic mob you're trying to attack.

Maybe this is just the going-on 300 hours of Chivalry: Medieval Warfare speaking, but I think that group combat is overwhelmingly both more interesting and exponentially more challenging when you have to manually place your strikes, particularly with a high degree of precision. E.g. when a Spartan is stabbing a Dory on your 2 o'clock and a Pirate is swinging a Cutlass at your 10 o'clock and you're dodging a third with a Blunderbuss on your 6, especially compared to the click-click-clickety-click of the Batman: Arkham series. In a game like Chiv, even placing a stab under or around an enemy shield can be an acutely frenetic affair.

But then again I didn't play the challenge modes, and I have no idea why you would want to. I beat Arkham Aslyum on Normal mode on my PS3 and I found the game to be most intriguing in terms of the plot, the detective elements, and the simplistic but fluid stealth combat.

I know you guys like to disparage the Witcher series' combat system, but for god's sake, at least it requires some skill in terms of maneuver and placement of strikes, and that's on top of managing groups of enemies. Of what significance precisely is "managing" large groups of enemies when they stand around and wait their turn to strike you, issue a giant blue halo over their heads before they're about to attack, and the only interaction you need to have in order to deal with any of this is left clicking and right clicking? Are you referring to management of left clicks versus right clicks? You can't even choose which enemy you attack or which enemy you parry, it's all automatic, so the use of the term "management" doesn't really make any sense to me.

And of course you didn't mention that most of the combat engagements in the Arkham series can be avoided by resetting your braindead enemies' detection abilities by pressing the grappling hook button which launches you 20 feet in the air, and if that doesn't do it, you zip around the room for about 5 seconds to one of the dozen gargoyle statues strategically placed around the room and it should do the trick.

Perhaps you can elaborate, because I'm a little worried by the dev's reference to Arkham. This signifies "simplification" in combat encounters in the same way that their references to Skyrim and GTA V signified this obsession with open world. The devs' reference to "constantly locking onto enemies" makes it pretty clear that TW3 is going to have some kind of autoaim with the attacks. Not that I give a shit, I intend to

Anyway, this

>>>>> This junk

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom