Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Open world in W3 is not „open” in the same way as in Skyrim or GTA
>There are few, very big hubs connected with each other
It is open world. There are two main hubs/maps:
  1. Novigrad and surroundings (72.5 km²) + No Man's Land (which is at least as big as Novigrad) on one map, so this gives you a single hub, that is more than 3 times bigger than the one map in Skyrim;
  2. Skellige islands (64 km²), which is so far form the mainland, that going from Novigrad to Skellige Islands would take one day [real time] at least (this btw is information form the same review you quoted, that you conveniently left out in order to be able to make your claims)

These two maps will constitute the playable area of the whole game. You will be able to go wherever you want with the exception of traveling between Skellige and the mainland (for obvious reasons). In addition there'll be an unknown number of much smaller hubs, that'll be used for tutorial and story related purposes, e.g. (examples not officially confirmed):
  1. Kaer Morhen - tutorial
  2. Vizima (possibly only Foltest's castle) - story related
  3. ...

thats not the point. why promote your game as bigger than skyrim and open world when it is nothing more than fucking hubs like in kingdom of amalur or DAI?:lol:

As explained above, nothing like Alamur or DAI.
at least two big hubs and couple small hubs.

so still hubs with loading screens and not an open world.:smug:

and definitely not limitless

bonescraper

Thanks norolim :salute:

It's really not different than Skyrim + Solstheim then. Well, with much bigger maps of course.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Skyrim had a loading screen everytime you opened a door. It's not an open world then.:M

In TW3, it looks like you'll only have loading screens if you wanna cover huge distances.

its still not open world like Just Cause, Far Cry or GTA games.

You can not walk/drive from one place to any given point on the map, you have to change and load a hub:smug:

So its exactly like Amalur or DAI just with bigger hubs.

I am not saying that twicher 3 will be shit you butthurt faggots. Just CDProjekt bullshiting us again with their marketing

Xbalanque

Educated
  1. Novigrad and surroundings (72.5 km²) + No Man's Land (which is at least as big as Novigrad) on one map, so this gives you a single hub, that is more than 3 times bigger than the one map in Skyrim;
  2. Skellige islands (64 km²), which is so far form the mainland, that going from Novigrad to Skellige Islands would take one day [real time] at least (this btw is information form the same review you quoted, that you conveniently left out in order to be able to make your claims)

These two maps will constitute the playable area of the whole game. You will be able to go wherever you want with the exception of traveling between Skellige and the mainland (for obvious reasons). In addition there'll be an unknown number of much smaller hubs, that'll be used for tutorial and story related purposes, e.g. (examples not officially confirmed):
  3. ...

thats not the point. why promote your game as bigger than skyrim and open world when it is nothing more than fucking hubs like in kingdom of amalur or DAI?:lol:

I don't really understanding all this dick measuring when it comes to advertising a game. I don't care how many square kilometres will be there or how many hubs or how long will I have to take to go from northernmost point to the southernmost. That's all shallow and uninformative. Even less do I understand comparing to Skyrim, if it's so important why these assholes do not compare it to Daggerfall, that maybe would be more impressive.
I would rather hear or read how every place will be meaningful and what is really in store. CDProjekt seems to be the worst at this as they count consequences and every other fucking thing which never really adds up to anything.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

You can not walk/drive from one place to any given point on the map, you have to change and load a hub:smug:

So its exactly like Amalur or DAI just with bigger hubs.

I am not saying that twicher 3 will be shit you butthurt faggots. Just CDProjekt bullshiting us again with their marketing
Just admit it that you were wrong. :smug: The game is 100% open world, because using an engine without area loads is not a prerequisite of open world games, never was. Hell, Might and Magic was open world, and you had a loading screen at every location in that game. If we look at the press release of CD Projekt, they were not lying. The game is bigger than Skyrim or GTA.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

3. ...

So... not open world. Multiple hubs of varying sizes that you have to go through a load screen to get...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Ehhhhhhh pre-San Andreas GTAs also had loading screens and all of them unlock more of the world through story progression. Depending on how transitions work I can see it still counting.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
XILc1jy.jpg

IT'S MADE OF RAPE

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
So... not open world. Multiple hubs of varying sizes that you have to go through a load screen to get...
So Witcher 3 is not open world because of a loading screen, but Skyrim is, even though you're faced with a loading screen every five minutes (every interior, every dungeon, and even cities are behind a loading screen).

Your logic is flawless.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That image was already posted in this thread ages ago, you're unfashionably late to the party because it's over. You can help clean up.

Meanwhile I'm going to be fashionably late to Witcher 3 because I'll be damned if I play an unenhanced version. CD Projekt, always needing a year to polish their release candidates, lol.

Tytus

Arcane
That image was already posted in this thread ages ago, you're unfashionably late to the party because it's over. You can help clean up.

Meanwhile I'm going to be fashionably late to Witcher 3 because I'll be damned if I play an unenhanced version. CD Projekt, always needing a year to polish their release candidates, lol.

I wonder if there will be an enhanced version. I hope they will, but two factors say otherwise.

1. In some interview they said that they are delaying the game for 6 months to bring the quality of enhanced version of previous games.
2. The game will launch on consoles in the same time as on PC. So that means they would have to redownload the game to their shitboxes. I don't really see that happening.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
1. In some interview they said that they are delaying the game for 6 months to bring the quality of enhanced version of previous games.
It's not in their best interests to announce there'll be a much-better version available in the future.
2. The game will launch on consoles in the same time as on PC. So that means they would have to redownload the game to their shitboxes. I don't really see that happening.
Perhaps console people would have to buy a new version. This has happened before with Metal Gear Solid, Devil May Cry, and so on.

Tytus

Arcane
It's not in their best interests to announce there'll be a much-better version available in the future.
Perhaps console people would have to buy a new version. This has happened before with Metal Gear Solid, Devil May Cry, and so on.

If the Enhanced version will be free for PC but Console gamers will have to buy it again.... that would be glorious.

But it's CDPR - so it either will be free for everyone (which kinda suggests there won't be one at all because of console decline) or everyone would have to buy the game again (which will be a giant decline).

Kem0sabe

Arcane
So Witcher 3 is not open world because of a loading screen, but Skyrim is, even though you're faced with a loading screen every five minutes (every interior, every dungeon, and even cities are behind a loading screen).

Your logic is flawless.
Wtf has Skyrim to do with this?

pippin

I've never really understood the appeal of open worlds in rpgs, or any game in general. No world is truly open, even without level scaling, because you still have this designated path to follow. Then what presents itself as an open world ends up being like a trip to disneyland. Metagaming can "break" this open world experience quite easily. Still, open worlds can be fun with decent design and storytelling, like (in my opinion) Morrowind and New Vegas, because the existence of factions and other stuff going on gives you the idea of arriving in media res to the action, and that is up to you which path you should follow. This could be made in linear games as well, though, like in the first Witcher (which is the only one I've played so far), where supporting the Scoiatel or the Knights really affected which missions you'd be able to get (and, more importantly, which girls you get to fuck :smug:).
That said, different approaches to quest solving should be more relevant than how open or linear the world is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom