Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

made

Arcane
Miyamoto Musashi famously was said to have lost one battle against an opponent wielding a staff-like weapon.
One of these things, no doubt:

double_bladed_katana_by_insanitysorrow-d4l2eqo.png

The only weapon better than a Katana is a double-bladed Katana.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
So the guy who did the Witcher intros is now making a Witcher movie. Not quite clear if CGI, or live action, he does mention "actors".

Perkel

Arcane
Now that is studio which i would never think they would do something like this.
they are mainly CG studio and now they are trying to do full movie ?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Considering how totally-shit and non-existing the Polish-film-industry currently is, their chances - as newcomers coming from a different field - for a success are quite good.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Quite impressed by the music that is heard in these gameplay videos. Makes me think of Wiedzmin 1's great score.

norolim

Arcane
Yeah, I'm not very optimistic about it, either. On the other hand, the studio is headed by a man, whose animated short was once nominated for Academy Awards, so maybe he knows what he's doing, even if it's a fairly new field for him.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Codex is full of next-gen graphics whores. Game play wise every video shown is full of decline...

I'm not going to go into a new Witcher game expecting quality gameplay. Just hopefully some casual fun with a good fantasy story. CDProjekt are certainly at the top of the rubble heap of decline though, with Bioware and Beth buried far below.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
There is a difference between BioWare, Betheda and CD Project? All of them only make Action Games.

Absolutely. CDProjekt fills their games with great music and an entertaining story for at least one playthrough. Bioware fills their modern games with their anachronistic sociopolitical agendas, and Beth releases a series of fetch quests where you can end up leading a mage guild despite not being a spellcaster. Good times.

buzz

Arcane
CD Projekt games are just Bioware games going through the angsty teen phase.

Bethesda games are the college, "muh inner childhood" phase except dumbed down because of the lack of time and dedication

Rake

Arcane
CD Projekt games are just Bioware games going through the angsty teen phase.

Bethesda games are the college, "muh inner childhood" phase except dumbed down because of the lack of time and dedication
Then Bioware games are the sex change, pre-op phase

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
There is a difference between BioWare, Betheda and CD Project? All of them only make Action Games.
Of course there is a difference. First, you have to accept that action games are not inherently bad. Ok, now, accept that CD Project makes better action games than Bioware and Bethesda. Third, drop the edgyness and accept that all of these companies make action-RPGs, not pure action games.

buzz

Arcane
First, you have to accept that action games are not inherently bad.
Action games are not inherently bad. Action games that pretend to be RPGs and took over the entire market are inherently bad.

The problem is not with certain genres, but with the hybridization and lines being blurred between said genres.

Alfons

Prophet
You have a pretty shallow taste in gaming if you don't play anything else than RPGs. I play RPGs, RTS games, TBS games, action games, platforming etc.
You are giving the fucker way too much credit,the dude is just a fuckin idiot.
I have a very specific taste when it comes to games,with few exceptions obviously.
I hate RTS games but I would never call the genre shit,it's just my cup of tea if someone shares the same opinion but calls the genre bad he is most likely a fuckin retard.

The problem is not with certain genres, but with the hybridization and lines being blurred between said genres.
It does seem like many AAA games that are being released have the same core design, open world action games with some character customization an leveling.As a player this is a major problem if you don't like these types of games,for the industry as a whole it is definitely detrimental;.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
A turn-based RPG revolution and some of you fuckers are still mad that other developers are making games for people who aren't you.

Ok, now, accept that CD Project makes better action games than Bioware and Bethesda.
Sorry, but no. CD Projekt has the best art, music, and writing of the three, but definitely not gameplay.

buzz

Arcane
A turn-based RPG revolution and some of you fuckers are still mad that other developers are making games for people who aren't you.
That was entirely because of us, not because of the industry.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom