Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
And it's p. great though they dropped the ball on Witcher 2 because muh serious storytelling

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Boob physics looked pretty fucking dumb in 15 year old console games but I would assume CDP have the tech to use them effectively now, like for example more subtly and only when Triss is running, or something.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The only wrong thing about boob physics is that they are not as good in the real world than in games and that most women have horrible tits.

Gerrard

Arcane
The lack of boob physics in TW2 really ruined my immersion.

Also you should be glad there's no sex minigames.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
E3 Demo, 45 min:

1. We start with a cutscene with the camera descending down on the Baron’s castle, showing off the lovely open world surrounding it. The camera tracks in on the window of the cottage where we talk to Keira Metz. Cue dialogue.

2. We talk to Keira Metz and she gives us a task: remove the curse from the tower in the swamps. (Boob physics eye candy, appropriately prepared dialogue).
:thumbsup:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Massive Witcher 3 leak reveals endings...

It's quite funny to see grown ups to talk about some bird physics, as if they can be punished for talking about erect nipples as about erect nipples.

BTW you experts, can you tell me if that book with the scene of fight on frozen lake was the last Witcher book, or if I missed one?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Yup.

Now I guess I still didn't read Lady of the Lake. And considering my relatives could loan it to me few years ago, I have some backlog.

Athos

Arcane
Massive Witcher 3 leak reveals endings...

It's quite funny to see grown ups to talk about some bird physics, as if they can be punished for talking about erect nipples as about erect nipples.

BTW you experts, can you tell me if that book with the scene of fight on frozen lake was the last Witcher book, or if I missed one?

It's in "The tower of the Swallow", the second-last book.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
It's kinda scary english readers still don't have an possibility to experience
the rape rape rape
that was Tower of the Swallow. They could compare Martin with Sapkowski.

Actually I kinda wonder if W3 would have better writing.

odrzut

Arcane
Martin - kill one favorite hero every 200 pages.

Sapkowski -
kill all the favorite heroes in the last book

sqeecoo

Arcane
I'll just put this here. Well worth reading the whole series of posts. http://social.bioware.com/56308/blog/208698/

I missed the Slav Fantasy atmosphere from TW1, but for all the flaws of the game, we got an excellent, non-handholding political intrigue story in TW2 with Geralt trying hard not to get involved, which actually fits the style and themes of the books better, I think.

I also liked how TW2 made you feel like a standard chosen one (i.e. you succeed even at impossible things), but at the same time pretty powerless, because of the huge amount of morally gray intrigue and general stuff going on and multiple parties independently pushing different agendas - you simply can't be everywhere at once, fix everything, or even be clear on how things are supposed to be "fixed" (as opposed to TW1 that had clear antagonists with a morally grey conflict only as a background). The feeling of being competent and able to influence the world directly and significantly, and yet not at all in control of the overall situation and how things develop, and completely unclear on what would be a "happy ending" - I don't think this was ever done better, at least in my experience.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I missed the Slav Fantasy atmosphere from TW1, but for all the flaws of the game, we got an excellent, non-handholding political intrigue story in TW2 with Geralt trying hard not to get involved, which actually fits the style and themes of the books better, I think.

The Roache path in Henselt's camp feels like this. I'm not sure Iorveth's path does. I just recently played it for the first time, having done Roache's path originally, and I was surprised at just how much it forces you into the freedom fighter role. In Henselt's camp I always felt like a Witcher, removing the curse for pay while looking for Triss and Letho in the wilderness. I never felt like that on Iorveth's path, I felt like I was helping my buddies fight the king.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

The Roache path in Henselt's camp feels like this. I'm not sure Iorveth's path does. I just recently played it for the first time, having done Roache's path originally, and I was surprised at just how much it forces you into the freedom fighter role. In Henselt's camp I always felt like a Witcher, removing the curse for pay while looking for Triss and Letho in the wilderness. I never felt like that on Iorveth's path, I felt like I was helping my buddies fight the king.

Roache's path should (or could) have been the optimal one. At least, if you knock out Iorveth before confronting Letho in the Flotsam woods so that the Blue Stripes win the battle there. That results in Iorveth being captured, thus giving you access to all his knowledge about the Kingslayer without having to leave Roache - the best of both worlds.

Too bad he somehow manages to escape while you're assassinating Loredo. Always felt that was kind of an ass pull. As it is, it's technically wiser to side with Iorveth since he knows something about the Kingslayer conspiracy, and he delivers you to people who are deeply involved in it. Roache knows nothing and the entire Henselt's camp ordeal is really just a huge sidetrack from your investigation. If the assassins hadn't made a bid for Henselt's life you would have never even found them there.

Last edited:

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Roache's path should (or could) have been the optimal one. At least, if you knock out Iorveth before confronting Letho in the Flotsam woods so that the Blue Stripes win the battle there. That results in Iorveth being captured, thus giving you access to all his knowledge about the Kingslayer without having to leave Roache - the best of both worlds.

Too bad he somehow manages to escape while you're assassinating Loredo. Always felt that was kind of an ass pull. As it is, it's technically wiser to side with Iorveth since he knows slightly more about the Kingslayer conspiracy, and he delivers you to people who are deeply involved in it. Roache knows nothing and the entire Henselt's camp ordeal is really just a huge sidetrack from your investigation. If the assassins hadn't made a bid for Henselt's life you would have never even found them there.

Except it's pretty easy to deduce that Henselt is likely to be their next target and that sticking close to him would allow Geralt to catch kingslayer(s) (and consequently Triss as well. Two northern kings killed already, Letho kidnaps Triss to force her to teleport him to Aedirn (and tells Geralt that) and for all his faults assassination is not Henselt's way, he prefers an open war and likes leading his men into battle (something which I assume is common knowledge).

And yeah Iorveth escaping is indeed an ass pull, not to mention that ridiculously stupid forest duel.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Too bad he somehow manages to escape while you're assassinating Loredo. Always felt that was kind of an ass pull. As it is, it's technically wiser to side with Iorveth since he knows slightly more about the Kingslayer conspiracy, and he delivers you to people who are deeply involved in it. Roache knows nothing and the entire Henselt's camp ordeal is really just a huge sidetrack from your investigation. If the assassins hadn't made a bid for Henselt's life you would have never even found them there.

Can't really agree here. Roache's path is more on-plot for me. You're looking for Letho and Triss in that area, and you're doing Witcher work in the meantime. Also the camp is more low-fantasy, and Henselt and Deathmold are more Witcher style characters. In contrast in Vergen I felt like I was seriously way off the main plot, suddenly doing a freedom fighter war plot and forgetting Letho even exists. I think Roache's path feels way more like a continuous story with Act 1 and through to Act 3.

I agree on Iorveth suddenly escaping off-camera though, that's probably the worst "decision reset" in the series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom