Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Athelas

Arcane
Yeah, the great tragedy of Bioware is they can't even accomplish the low goals they set for themselves. They make games that are terrible dating sims, mediocre action games, and terrible RPGs. Core competency is... marketing, I guess?
Bioware has had the monopoly on party-based RPG's since forever, which in the eyes of the public affords them quite a bit of leeway on the quality of the individual components of their games. They can get by being mediocre because they're the only ones makes this type of game (presumably).

Last edited:

Angthoron

Arcane
Took a quick look through some of the files, looks nice, I especially love the owlbeast that will look like Venom.

Only thing that's disappointing me out of this whole thing is that apparently
Ciri will be back too. FUCK!

Otherwise, nothing I couldn't have really guessed. Nice touch with a partial walkthrough already available though.

Zeriel

Arcane
And people still got buttpained about rbg endings?

Wasn't the saga of ME3 that people couldn't believe the ending could ever possibly be that bad... until it was? Denial is the great ally of modern marketing. Sell the customer on a narrative about how your game is the exquisite, immaculate conception of Christ and the customer will do all the hard work for you.

My favorite thing about the ME3 debacle was Bioware insisting that the endings were not as simple as red, green, and blue, then fans responding with jpgs showing that the ending movie files are internally named ending_blue, et cetera.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If the player decides to be funny and Aard / Igni the boys on purpose
(will have a safeguard for accidental, unintentional splash hits), the quest
immediately fails and the boys run away crying.

You're not funny or clever, player, don't try.

The tower goes mad, more and more objects start falling and moving on their own, it’s creeeeepy.

:lol: But that E3 doc wasn't what they showed at E3? It's not even close.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The W3 Alpha.pdf file is actually pretty interesting even for someone like me who doesn't care about the Witcher games, esp. in light of the current Codex debates about what makes an alpha/beta of the game. I don't think it has any spoilers either.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Witcher 2 is technically decline from The Witcher, but honestly the first game had such shit combat and bad (English) writing it's hard to be that upset about it.

Witcher 3 being open world is enticing, if they can pull it off.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
And Witcher fanboys keep thinking CDP treats them like mature and sophisticated audience...

:thumbsup:

CDP are as much representatives of the decline of the genre as are Bioware, any CDP fanboy who thinks different is delusional.

*cough* better writing *cough*

Witcher has better writing? Replaying The Witcher 2 recently from Roches story, and the writing has been abysmal, and often childish. Just this afternoon i was playing through the scene between Geralt and Triss at the elven fountain and was thinking to myself... these CDP guys need to get laid.

As bad as Bioware's writing is, it's semi coherent, Witcher doesnt even achieve that.

Angthoron

Arcane
And Witcher fanboys keep thinking CDP treats them like mature and sophisticated audience...

:thumbsup:

CDP are as much representatives of the decline of the genre as are Bioware, any CDP fanboy who thinks different is delusional.

*cough* better writing *cough*

Witcher has better writing? Replaying The Witcher 2 recently from Roches story, and the writing has been abysmal, and often childish. Just this afternoon i was playing through the scene between Geralt and Triss at the elven fountain and was thinking to myself... these CDP guys need to get laid.

As bad as Bioware's writing is, it's semi coherent, Witcher doesnt even achieve that.
Um, just no. Compared to Bio's teenage fantasy romance scenes, TW2 elven fountain scene actually looks like something written and directed by a person that's actually touched a woman before. Yes, it's rather out of the blue, but holy shit, should they start reciting poetry or telling about their emotional scars there? The scene itself, as abrupt as it may be, is certainly nowhere even in the same time zone as BioWare tripe. TW2 has problems, but the fountain scene is certainly not on the list - if anything, it's how abruptly it transitions to and from that particular bit.

I honestly have no idea why TW series get as much flak and butthurt here at the Codex, they're a pretty well done ARPGs both - not at all flawless, but well-written and atmospheric in the very least. TW2 has a bit less of the Slav Fantasy atmosphere, unfortunately, and that is one of my bigger gripes with it.

Edity-edit: Translation of TW1 sucked dooooooooooooongs.

Last edited:

made

Arcane
Played in English, TW2 writing isn't really any better than your average American game. It only shines if you're lucky enough to understand Polish. Being Potato is good for something for once.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Witcher 2 is technically decline from The Witcher, but honestly the first game had such shit combat and bad (English) writing it's hard to be that upset about it.

I'm currently playing Witcher 1, and actually the combat is one of the better ones as far as action RPGs go.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Wish i had the time or inclination to go about taking screens of all the awkward dialog or scene moments in the Witcher 2. The pacing, transitions, writing quality and characters are all a bit off and not quite right.

Maybe it's the english translation, but through the game it is all very "action, boobs, blood, fuck yeah Geralt the invincible manwhore".

It all goes down to the character of Geralt himself, i highly doubt he is portrayed as such in the books (if so then i dont get why they get much praise), a character that went through so much only to act like a horny teenager with self control problems every chance he gets, its all very jarring.

How does the author of the books feel about all of this is beyond me.

Viconia, Morrigan, Ashley in ME1, Dawn Star/Silver Fox in JE. Even fucking Alistair if you are into making a proper hero out of whiny virgin. Also Bastila in Kotor if you go dark side path and she becomes your "apprentice"

Its about 5 times better than "romances" in Witcher 1:lol:

I'm currently playing Witcher 1, and actually the combat is one of the better ones as far as action RPGs go.

:retarded:

what is gothic , risen, revenant, nox, dark souls ?

possibly_retarded.png

ohhh ok ....:roll:

Wish i had the time or inclination to go about taking screens of all the awkward dialog or scene moments in the Witcher 2. The pacing, transitions, writing quality and characters are all a bit off and not quite right.

Maybe it's the english translation, but through the game it is all very "action, boobs, blood, fuck yeah Geralt the invincible manwhore".

It all goes down to the character of Geralt himself, i highly doubt he is portrayed as such in the books (if so then i dont get why they get much praise), a character that went through so much only to act like a horny teenager with self control problems every chance he gets, its all very jarring.

How does the author of the books feel about all of this is beyond me.

and most of the time you have something like two dialogue options or simply watch what geralt has to say scene after scene. and people bitch about dialogue wheel being restrictive :lol:

Angthoron

Arcane
If the witcher (1) has "action rpg" combat then Guitar Hero is also an action RPG.
Edgy.

Was okay, but there's a ton of melodrama in it. I have my teenage year bias towards being more positive about her character, anyway.
No, not really, though they tried.
Ashley in ME1
Was okay, true. She was almost two-dimensional.
Even fucking Alistair if you are into making a proper hero out of whiny virgin.
No
Also Bastila in Kotor if you go dark side path and she becomes your "apprentice"
And also no, even though there's a little bit of character development, which happens mostly offscreen.

Its about 5 times better than "romances" in Witcher 1:lol:
5x0 = 0. Witcher 1 had no romances. Triss and Shauni subplots hardly count, you have what, a handful of interactions with each, and both are mostly friend/professional.

I don't really know what you mean by "good romance", to me, it's "believable", at this point of my life. In my teenage years, I was eating up Bio's stuff, it was fresh, it was entertaining, and I had a different set of notions about life/women/everything back then. Now, in hindsight, I can appreciate them for what they are - essentially CYOA harlequin stories, but they're not, by my standards, good. YMMV.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom