Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview The Witcher 3 "A Night To Remember" Launch Cinematic

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
so after all this trouble he leaves the carcass there? :)

HBO already is thinking The Witcher will be the next milk cow after Game of Thrones

I think maybe in the end there, Geralt was planning to take her head with the hook, but was either too tired to proceed or felt pity. Maybe it was too late after it was burnt or something (head wouldn't be recognized?)

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
does the song lyrics are somewhere to be found on the Internet? I can't understand them

Niektory

one of some
Patron
does the song lyrics are somewhere to be found on the Internet? I can't understand them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD8JxQWMFG0
Wolves asleep amidts the trees
That’s all a swaying in the breeze (or might be "Bats all aswayin' in the breeze")
But one soul lies anxious wide awake
Fearing all manner of ghouls, hags and wraiths
Birds are silent for the night
Cows turned in as daylight dies
But one soul lies anxious wide awake
For the Witcher, brave and bold
Paid in coin of gold
He’ll chop and slice you
Cut and dice you
Eat. You. Up. Whole.
Eat. You. Whole.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wonder if Obama is as hyped for Witcher 3 as everybody else.
I know he received a Witcher 2 CE as a gift when he visited Poland :)

MasPingon

Arcane
so after all this trouble he leaves the carcass there? :)

HBO already is thinking The Witcher will be the next milk cow after Game of Thrones

I think maybe in the end there, Geralt was planning to take her head with the hook, but was either too tired to proceed or felt pity. Maybe it was too late after it was burnt or something (head wouldn't be recognized?)

He felt pity. The trailer does a great job showing Geralt's attitude of ambivalence to what he is doing for life.

Amerilias

Educated
here's a hidden message from CD Projekt
VOOpMEM.jpg

throwaway

Cipher
I haven't really been paying attention to the pre-release talk. Is Novigrad the biggest city we've gotten in a fantasy video game(MMOs aside I guess)?

Zeriel

Arcane
I haven't really been paying attention to the pre-release talk. Is Novigrad the biggest city we've gotten in a fantasy video game(MMOs aside I guess)?

Not in real estate (Daggerfall shitting on everything since forever), but everything we've seen suggests in terms of scale + density (i.e actual quests and non-filler nonsense) Witcher 3 is basically unparalleled. I thought they were just talking out their ass with all the Gothic references, but it looks like they might have successfully wedded Gothic and Skyrim, which is kind of a crazy thing.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Have they really managed to create an RPG with great tits, solid gameplay and is a commercial success?

And DRM-free?

Up yours, Bethesda!!
ze_povinho.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I guess 3 out of 5 isn't bad. It is available DRM free and seems to be a commercial success. I suppose there are tits in there, too. But rpg? Solid gameplay? Newfag, please.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
I guess 3 out of 5 isn't bad. It is available DRM free and seems to be a commercial success. I suppose there are tits in there, too. But rpg? Solid gameplay? Newfag, please.
Sure. You're right. Compared to Bethesda's games it's a weak RPG.
Hexen 3 Skyrim and Call of Duty Wasteland Fallout are the real deal.

Sure. You're right. Compared to Bethesda's games it's a weak RPG.
Hexen 3 Skyrim and Call of Duty Wasteland Fallout are the real deal.

Better than Fallout 3 and Skyrim is a really low standard for solid gameplay. It might be better than those, but that wouldn't be saying much. TW3 is the casual game for people who don't want to admit that they're casuals. The game will likely be a shitty, casual, streamlined and modernized, AAA ARPG (emphasis on the A) with bad combat and purdy graphics, but because it has tits it gets some sort of a pass from a lot of people.

It's okay to love the tits and not love the Witcher.

It's also okay that you like the Witcher of course, but I tire of people pretending that it's something it's not.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Better than Fallout 3 and Skyrim is a really low standard for solid gameplay. It might be better than those, but that wouldn't be saying much. TW3 is the casual game for people who don't want to admit that they're casuals. The game will likely be a shitty, casual, streamlined and modernized, AAA ARPG (emphasis on the A) with bad combat and purdy graphics, but because it has tits it gets some sort of a pass from a lot of people.

It's okay to love the tits and not love the Witcher.

It's also okay that you like the Witcher of course, but I tire of people pretending that it's something it's not.
I get your point.

My initial point was that, for the last 4 years, Bethesda is almost lauded by the general public as having created the "ultimate RPG". A hack-n'slash AAA Steam-only game. While CD-Projekt launches a AAA game DRM-free (meaning that the game will pratically be free for PC gamers since day 1 - you only pay to play the game if you want to). That's a lot of trust that CD-P devs put on the gaming market, trusting that (not a lot of) people won't torrent their game. Bethesda, on the other hand, piblicly says that none of their games have DRM. While ate the same time forcing people to use Steam to play the game. Which never happened in their games before Skyrim. The same Bethesda who had plenty of tits in their games before Morrowind, as well.

As for what makes a good computer RPG, my answer is thus: nothing does. They're all shit pretending to be RPGs.
I know a bit of that because I had my first introduction to RPGs through pen+paper AD&D 2nd Ed. There's no way one can compare a CRPG to a real one. It's stupid.
It's like comparing a cartoon version of Moby Dick to Melville's book. One is an abridged, different media adaptation while the other is the true thing.
In the end what really matters is how much fun and immersive the game is. As for me, I like the Witcher games because of the grim, dark setting. The same thing why I loved the first Fallout games. I admit that I too enjoyed Skyrim for a time. Until the generic Fantasy setting and "Messiah saves the universe" plot started to bore me.

I've been recently playing Avernum: Escape from the Pit. The graphics are shit. Gameplay is mostly PAF BOOM CRASH PUNCH (fight fight fight). But the story is somewhat interesting. It's your regular high-fantasy universe, but with a post-apocalyptic, jailbreak plot. It amuses me. So it's cool.

But please, CommanderBradbury, tell old, senile karnak what is a good CRPG. And why such a game is ad astra while W3 is mediocre shit.

65393.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My initial point was that, for the last 4 years, Bethesda is almost lauded by the general public as having created the "ultimate RPG". A hack-n'slash AAA Steam-only game. While CD-Projekt launches a AAA game DRM-free (meaning that the game will pratically be free for PC gamers since day 1 - you only pay to play the game if you want to). That's a lot of trust that CD-P devs put on the gaming market, trusting that (not a lot of) people won't torrent their game. Bethesda, on the other hand, piblicly says that none of their games have DRM. While ate the same time forcing people to use Steam to play the game. Which never happened in their games before Skyrim. The same Bethesda who had plenty of tits in their games before Morrowind, as well.

I definitely support GOG and CDPR's stance on DRM, I'm not sure why I should censor or alter my opinions about the Witcher games because of that or like them any more for it though... I hate Bethesda as much as the next guy but that doesn't in any way make the Witcher a different sort of game than it clearly is. I guess I'm glad that such an game is available outside of Steam at least.

As for what makes a good computer RPG, my answer is thus: nothing does. They're all shit pretending to be RPGs.
I know a bit of that because I had my first introduction to RPGs through pen+paper AD&D 2nd Ed. There's no way one can compare a CRPG to a real one. It's stupid.
It's like comparing a cartoon version of Moby Dick to Melville's book. One is an abridged, different media adaptation while the other is the true thing.
In the end what really matters is how much fun and immersive the game is. As for me, I like the Witcher games because of the grim, dark setting. The same thing why I loved the first Fallout games. I admit that I too enjoyed Skyrim for a time. Until the generic Fantasy setting and "Messiah saves the universe" plot started to bore me.

It's true that having fun should be the only thing that really determines how much you play a game, it is a game after all. Specific people enjoying a game doesn't make it good of course. I enjoyed the Witcher 1 for what it was and had fun with it through to the end.

I've been recently playing Avernum: Escape from the Pit. The graphics are shit. Gameplay is mostly PAF BOOM CRASH PUNCH (fight fight fight). But the story is somewhat interesting. It's your regular high-fantasy universe, but with a post-apocalyptic, jailbreak plot. It amuses me. So it's cool.

Yeah, I played the "original" Avernum (the first exile remake) last year and had a blast with it, I bought Escape From The Pit on GOG recently but haven't played it yet.

But please, CommanderBradbury, tell old, senile karnak what is a good CRPG. And why such a game is ad astra while W3 is mediocre shit.

I don't think you're senile, you look like a distinguished gentleman with a very sharp mind and a bitchin' outfit (yes, I know that's not actually you). I was just mentioning what I saw as a tendency to not call these games what they are - which is casual, AAA action RPGs that are as streamlined and handholdy (and everything else the codex seems to hate) as any other AAA game, and that the fact that you can see some tits in the game shouldn't change that or cause people to think of it as something it isn't. I guess the DRM thing also influences opinions about it. Neither of those things really should, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

hivemind

I think that people who compare singleplayer computer RPGs to PnP RPGs played with other people are morons.

cRPGs should be compared to CYOA books in their design philosophy and narrative direction.

When you roleplay in a PnP game you do so because that's the primary point of the play, roleplaying as your character is the alpha and omega of the whole gathering. PnP games are also the best form through which the experience of roleplaying a character that you made up is transferable. It's simply impossible to achieve anything similar in a single player video game and thus this should never be the main goal.

The roleplaying you do in a cRPG is a different thing, you roleplay to experience the narrative from a different perspective. I mean like in the prologue of witcher 1 there is a decision if you go fight the monster or go to the lab, I chose one or the other because I want to see what happens in the different scenarios not because my geralt is the kind of a guy that would fight a monster instead of going to a lab.(well I guess you could but when you replay the game for the second time you are definitely going to go to the lab unless you are an autist)

Now, of course there are minor things and stuff that you do because "my character would act like this" but when it comes to main decisions with serious consequences it is simply impossible to accommodate for any and all sorts of behaviours a possible roleplayed character could take so you are left with a few choices that don't tend very well to absolute roleplaying for the sake of roleplaying because you can easily end up having to take a decision that your character wouldn't take just because it's the closest thing the game offers you.

It's like, you can't actually roleplay in a great enough manner in a cRPG as you would do in a PnP game so you shouldn't even go into the game with that kind of a mentality.

A PnP rpg is about your character, a single player computer roleplaying game is about the prepared story.

But problem from the other side is when retarded developers think the story should be linear and not experienced from various sides that open up based on the players decisions, this is wrong because, just as character roleplaying exists in it's most perfect form in the PnP, linear storytelling has it's perfect form in either a book or a movie(ok books are probably better but that's beside the main point).

and this is speaking just about the story and not even about it's interaction with the gameplay and stuff

cRPGs are so shit compared to what they could(and should) be

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Well, if the game sucks, CDP can always move to making movies, like Blizzard should have done ages ago.

CDP, for all their console-oriented AAA-ification, still have decent writers capable of crafting a good videogame narrative (or at least they did for Witcher 2), so they could potentially produce a watchable movie. Modern Blizzard, on the other hand, are basically Bioware, but even worse somehow, as demonstrated by Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
I don't think you're senile, you look like a distinguished gentleman with a very sharp mind and a bitchin' outfit (yes, I know that's not actually you). I was just mentioning what I saw as a tendency to not call these games what they are - which is casual, AAA action RPGs that are as streamlined and handholdy (and everything else the codex seems to hate) as any other AAA game, and that the fact that you can see some tits in the game shouldn't change that or cause people to think of it as something it isn't. I guess the DRM thing also influences opinions about it. Neither of those things really should, though.
Thanks for your honest opinion CaptainBradbury.
I think that you managed to understand my view: basically as I am getting older I'm starting to find it more and more difficult to analize wether game X or game Y is better or worse because they allow to advance characters up to level 220 or perform 30+ combos with customisable spells.
Nope. What I really want is a game to amuse me and draw me in. To have a story that is so compelling that I want to finish it, so that I can know how it ends. And I also want to see something original.
It's maybe quite a "simpleton" view of gaming. But in these recent times that's more and more how I see things. If it's fun it's good.

I suspect that the "final nail in the coffin for me" was the recent Pillars of Eternity review right here on the Codex. Hundreds and hundreds of posts were spent, filled with morons attacking each other over which was best: Pillars of Eternity or Dragon Age: Inquisition. Some people spent hours and hours debating wether one was the ultimate RPG ever, instead of spending their time playing their favorite game.
As for me the answer to the debate was quite simple: both are mediocre games. PoE is a Baldur's Gate game - only slightly better. And DA:I is a Dragon Age game - only slightly better. Both are fun games in their own way. But both never had the balls to get out of their safety zone.

Witcher 3 will probably be an average game too (with tits). But at least I acknowledge that CDP tried something different this time. Making it "open world". Nothing new in this day and age, of course. But at least they tried to innovate in a certain way. Have they failed? Well, if plenty of people manage to have fun with the game, then CDP did a good job.

When I first came to the Codex last year it was for 2 things:
a) be a Troll in my spare time.
b) get to know some news concerning upcoming CRPGs
I was shocked to see so many guys spending their days debating which had the best levelling system: Baldur's Gate 2 or Temple of Elemental Evil. I then realized that I could be a Troll. But there sure are Trolls living in deeper and more scary crypts than me.

It sort of reminds me of a little story: about 15 years ago me and some mates used to play Heroclix. Since we were all old Marvel fans we used the game to have fun, while at the same time making fun of the Marvel universe.
Now, in our merry little group we had a dude who was a rule freak. Me and the other guys just played the game to have some laughs and pass the time. Not "Mr. Rules", oh no. He wanted to play the game by the book. Needless to say, sometimes we'd have to pause the game for almost 20 minutes because Mr. Rules wanted to discuss the rules and clarify them so that we wouldn't have to cheat the game. Of course, every time that the ambiguity of the rules benefited Mr. Rules he'd urge us to carry on playing and forget about it.
After a certain time we were having so much fun with the game, that one of the players turned the table and threatened to kick Mr. Rules teeth in.
And thus ended our once fun and finally constricted-by-rules adventures in the strategic world of Marvel.

Uh... What was I talking about? I forgot the point.

91sn32Q.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom