Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher - 20% of the original English script cut

DraQ

Arcane
Wait, is anyone implying here that a good author should castrate his dialogues by removing vulgarity where it would reasonably be used by a character?

dragonfk

Erudite
Clearly Jasede is not a fan of Martins or Morgans books. Jasede why dont you go back to "The Hobbit: There and Back Again"?

Nightjed

Liturgist
does it work correctly if you replace the english version voices.bif with the polish version file ?

damn Atari, i thought some dialogues were weird

i hope someone can release a mod with the full tl and the polish voice overs

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
DraQ said:
Wait, is anyone implying here that a good author should castrate his dialogues by removing vulgarity where it would reasonably be used by a character?

Vulgarity is good when it makes sense to use it. I can't judge the author from a few lines from a game, but that one criticised line just struck me as terribly inappropriate and if one assumes the books are written like that, then they're quite poor books since there's certainly more ways to create a mood and define a character than to use vulgar phrases that no reasonable person would ever use, the person being vulgar or not. No need to argue further, really, I have my opinion, you have yours.

Ausir

Arcane
So, e.g. even bandits shouldn't use profane language in a real fantasy world?

Clearly Jasede is not a fan of Martins or Morgans books. Jasede why dont you go back to "The Hobbit: There and Back Again"?

By the way, I'd say that fans of Martin's books will probably like Sapkowski's as well.

dragonfk

Erudite
Ausir said:

By the way, I'd say that fans of Martin's books will probably like Sapkowski's as well.

I value Martin above Sapkowski but before "Song of Ice and Fire" era in my life Sapkowski was the number one in my top favourite authors, though as of now top 3 looks something like this:
1. Martin RR George
2. Erikson Steven (magnificent volume number three, ending of this volume is my all-time favourite)
3. Sapkowski Andrew

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Jasede said:
DraQ said:

Vulgarity is good when it makes sense to use it. .
it's always makes sense to use vulgarity in ,бля ,Eastern Europe, ёб твою мать.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
dragonfk said:
Ausir said:

I value Martin above Sapkowski but before "Song of Ice and Fire" era in my life Sapkowski was the number one in my top favourite authors, though as of now top 3 looks something like this:
1. Martin RR George
2. Erikson Steven (magnificent volume number three, ending of this volume is my all-time favourite)
3. Sapkowski Andrew

Martin is wonderful, but I couldn't get through Erikson. Rather liked Gardens of the Moon, but it started to become a massive clusterfuck and I lost interest halfway through Deadhouse Gates. :/

Btw, give China Mieville a try. He's also got characters who say "fuck" and "shit" a lot!

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Jasede said:
DraQ said:

Vulgarity is good when it makes sense to use it. I can't judge the author from a few lines from a game, but that one criticised line just struck me as terribly inappropriate and if one assumes the books are written like that, then they're quite poor books since there's certainly more ways to create a mood and define a character than to use vulgar phrases that no reasonable person would ever use, the person being vulgar or not. No need to argue further, really, I have my opinion, you have yours.

LOL. Jasede, I'd be pissed but lookin' at you tryin' so hard - it's absolutely precious...

About pricks/cunts dialogue (if this is the issue) - what's so inappropriate with that? Geralt asks a very stupid question so he gets a "mentor" response - the dwarf tells him about the very nature of things and to make a better effect he decides to use rude words. I don't know in what half-assed environment you were raised up but here in the Witcher country simple people (that this dwarf represents) use such language (esp. if working-class male from the countryside). Call me a cro-mag but this dialogue was normal for me.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Cro-mag! Cro-mag! I admit I am kinda trying hard to dislike this game. The dialogue doesn't seem special even in the original, combat is twitchy and there's the whole sex-card deal. Seriously, why include something like this?

Eh, who cares what I think, anyway? I wonder how VD's review will look like.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
martin would be more enjoyable if he didn't look as if he's about to kick the bucket while constantly delaying books in a "hey, it's done, after two years, but guess what, i'm going to split it up and take another two to three years to edit the second part which i just claimed was done as well".

as for erikson, i can't imagine any fantasy writer ever topping the chain of dogs storyline....
Jasede said:
the game is very condensed, both due to exaggeration (omg tits), and the nature of the medium. the whole game contains roughly the same amount of foul language, sex, and monster slaying as the whole book series, while being considerably shorter, and often serving it without any meaningful context.
even without that, the point of realism remains. in poland, cursing is almost entirely related to sex, with a synonym for pussy being the epitome of casual vulgarity, and a great deal of random people including it at least once or twice in any sentence.
imagine a conversation between gangster rappers, subtract all the drug talk, substitute pussy for any instance of nigger, dawg, bitch, shit, fuck, take one random instance of pussy and replace it with shit, take an additional three and replace them with cock, then insert some more instances of pussy randomly into places where it doesn't make any sense, and you have a conversation i just heard outside my window (which happens to be in germany, making the whole thing somewhat funnier).

either way, we aren't such fucking pussies when it comes down to some expletives or other forms of vulgarity.

Ausir

Arcane
in poland, cursing is almost entirely related to sex, with a synonym for pussy being the epitome of casual vulgarity, and a great deal of random people including it at least once or twice in any sentence.

You mean "kurwa"? It's whore, not pussy.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
i jedno, i drugie, co najmniej tam skad pochodze, chociaz tlumaczenie jako pussy jest raczej rzadkie (edit: i szczerze mowiac, niegdy sie specjalnie nie interesowalem przeklinaniem).

Direwolf

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
Martin is wonderful, but I couldn't get through Erikson. Rather liked Gardens of the Moon, but it started to become a massive clusterfuck and I lost interest halfway through Deadhouse Gates. :/

Btw, give China Mieville a try. He's also got characters who say "fuck" and "shit" a lot!

Yeah, Deadhouse Gates was a bit meh, but he completely recovered with Memories of Ice, so far it seems that every odd book is good and even ones are pretty average.
Mieville is different, I still can't decide if I enjoyed Perdido Street Station or not.

Ausir

Arcane
SuicideBunny said:
i jedno, i drugie, co najmniej tam skad pochodze, chociaz tlumaczenie jako pussy jest raczej rzadkie.

I've lived in Poland for my entire life and have never encountered "kurwa" in the meaning of "pussy". There are other words for that.

caliban

Scholar
Actually, the Polish word "kurwa", commonly used instead of a comma means "whore" rather than "cunt".

Not that it makes much of a difference, anyway :)

EDIT:

LOL @ up ;]

/EDIT

And actually, I find most of the cuss words in The Witcher justified. There are several dialogues that seemed rather silly or awkward to me (including the "kuśka & piczka" example ;) ), but apart from that the dialogues are fine. In the Polish version at least. And some of Geralt's one-liners are pure gold.

Ausir

Arcane
DraQ said:
I've lived in Poland for my entire life and have never encountered "kurwa" in the meaning of "pussy". There are other words for that.
"pizda" and "cipa" to be precise.

"Pizda" is more like "cunt". :)

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Ausir said:
i haven't, and as said above never cared that much for cursing, so you are the superior authority on that matters, and i'm probably wrong. still close enough for my point to come across.

Ausir

Arcane
Anyway, Jasede is just upset that it says "Why do pricks go in cunts?" instead of "Why do pricks go in men's asses?"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom